What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Query abandoned by poster > ABANDONED. Seeking travel memoir book that is also a spiritual journey. Man goes on spiritual journey with lots of travel, learning how others connect with God/Buddha/etc.

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ingrid (last edited Oct 21, 2013 10:24AM) (new)

Ingrid (bareblueskin) | 5 comments Man goes on spiritual journey with lots of travel, learning how others connect with God/Buddha/etc.
-A man, I think in his late twenties, travels around a LOT in search of how others meditate, connect with their spiritual self, find God, etc. I remember great passages about walking through narrow streets, of drinking strong coffee in Turkey, and being at an event with whirling dervishes. It was sort of a travel/memoir, but very much about spiritual practices, in an exploratory way.
-The book had a blue jacket, and while I think it had a silhouette of a buddha on the cover, when I search for books with buddha in the title, nothing fits.
-I read this book in 2002 or 2003.
-I borrowed it from an acquaintance so I'm not sure when it was published.

Thanks for the help!

---Updated March 17, 2010---
Thanks for the suggestions but none of those titles are the book I seek. I thought maybe I should add some more notes:

-It is definitely non-fiction.
-It is not written as a philosophical book, but rather one man's actual experience, taking place in the 1980's or later. He did not set out to take notes on his experience, but ended up writing a journal during his travels and published this afterwards.
-I seem to remember now a lot of talk of mediation and the various stages, of maybe disappearing or becoming one with the universe through meditation?

---Updated October 21, 2013---
of a travel memoir book, but is also a spiritual journey.

message 2: by Kevyn (new)

Kevyn It sounds a lot like Along the Templar Trail: Seven Million Steps for Peace (Paperback)by Brandon Wilson, but unless there was an earlier edition of that, it seems to be too late.

How about The Asian Journal of Thomas Merton http://www.amazon.com/Asian-Journal-T...

Or
Rainbow Road or Through Buddhist Eyes: Travel Letters? http://www.goodreads.com/search/searc...+ and http://www.amazon.com/Through-Buddhis...

Or
A Spiritual Hitchhiker's Guide to the Universe: Travel Tips for the Spiritually Perplexed by Paul Rademacher http://search.barnesandnoble.com/book...

message 3: by Barbara (new)

Barbara (goodreadscombarb-ken) | 52 comments The Razor's Edge?

message 4: by Brenda (new)

Brenda | 147 comments Siddhartha?? by Herman Hesse

message 5: by Barbara (new)

Barbara (goodreadscombarb-ken) | 52 comments I go with "The Razor's Edge" by Maugham

message 6: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 39296 comments Mod
Ingrid, are you still looking for this book?

message 7: by Romica (new)

Romica | 3 comments All Kinds of Magic by Piers Moore Ede? Although I think it was published too late.

message 8: by Ingrid (new)

Ingrid (bareblueskin) | 5 comments Thanks for the bump - yes, I'm still in search of this book. None of the suggestions here match the book I'm seeking. Perhaps I need to rename this and say it's more of a travel memoir book, but is also a spiritual journey.

message 10: by Ingrid (new)

Ingrid (bareblueskin) | 5 comments Thanks for the suggestion Anna, but it's not a match. I will add that book to my list.

message 11: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Still looking?

message 12: by Kris (new)

Kris | 35148 comments Mod
Ultimate Journey: Retracing the Path of an Ancient Buddhist Monk Who Crossed Asia in Search of Enlightenment by Richard Bernstein?
A Time to Keep Silence by Patrick Leigh Fermor?

Ingrid, around what year did you read this book?
Did he travel through many countries? What were they?
What was his occupation or family background? American/etc.?

message 13: by Ket (new)

Ket | 164 comments The Jew in the Lotus: A Poet's Rediscovery of Jewish Identity in Buddhist India

The Jew in the Lotus, Rodger Kamenetz?

If not, do you remember the author's religious affiliation? That would definitely help narrow it down.

message 14: by Brenda (new)

Brenda | 147 comments Mr. Blueby Myles Connely.

message 15: by Anna (new)

message 16: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl wrote: "Still looking?"

No response in 2+ years. Moving to Abandoned.