Love Inspired Historicals discussion

BOOK GIVEAWAY -Talking with Louise M. Gouge on the Revolutionary War and 'The Captain's Lady'

Comments Showing 1-50 of 96 (96 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by JanetTronstad (last edited Mar 15, 2010 01:26PM) (new)

JanetTronstad Author Tronstad | 2759 comments Mod
This is where you can visit with author Louise M. Gouge as she talks with you about the Revolutionary War and her new book, 'The Captain's Lady' (LIH,March 2010). Add a comment to the discussion before the end of day on March 18 and you will be eligible to win a copy of 'The Captain's Lady.'

Suggestion from Louise --Have you recently read the Declaration of Independence? Take about five minutes to do so (you can find it online) and tell me what impresses or surprises you the most. Just for fun, go back and read the Declaration of Rights and Grievances, which preceded the DOI and was the last ditch effort by the colonists to reconcile with George III.

message 2: by Adrianna (new)

Adrianna (adriannas) | 32 comments My comment to the author is how many historical figures make guest appearances (if any) in her book? I am listening to John Adams on CD, and I am really finding the time period fascinating. There is so much material to work with! I can't imagine wading through all the historical events to pick and choose which to include!

message 3: by Ausjenny (new)

Ausjenny | 4954 comments Im an Aussie but your history does fascinate me. I have the first book but haven't had a chance to read it yet.
I watched John Adams on the plane to Canada and found it fascinating also. It shows and americas history shows it in many wars that a smaller army with a just course often will overcome the larger army. The win against Santa Ana in Texas is another example.

message 4: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jennafraugh) | 4102 comments I've seen the Declaration of Independence, Bill of Rights, etc in person. Kinda amazing to know they can perserve a docuement that's over hundreds of years old!

I love the fact that it still has the stuff about King George and Great Britain in it! Did you know that they took the line for life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness from John Locke's philosophy that no one ought to harm another in his life, health, liberty, or possessions. Instead of possessions they put in pursuit of happiness. Just little random bit of information I learned in philosophy class!

message 5: by Louise (new)

Louise Gouge (louisemgouge) | 419 comments Adrianna wrote: "My comment to the author is how many historical figures make guest appearances (if any) in her book? I am listening to John Adams on CD, and I am really finding the time period fascinat..."

I love to put real people from history into my stories. I try not to overdo it, and I try not to ascribe any characteristics to them that history does not bear out.

message 6: by Louise (new)

Louise Gouge (louisemgouge) | 419 comments Ausjenny wrote: "Im an Aussie but your history does fascinate me. I have the first book but haven't had a chance to read it yet.
I watched John Adams on the plane to Canada and found it fascinating also. It shows a..."

You're doing better than I, Ausjenny. I'd love to know more about Australian history. We're really sympatico, I think.

message 7: by Louise (new)

Louise Gouge (louisemgouge) | 419 comments Jennifer wrote: "I've seen the Declaration of Independence, Bill of Rights, etc in person. Kinda amazing to know they can perserve a docuement that's over hundreds of years old!

I love the fact that it still ha..."

Jennifer, these old documents truly are amazing. They laid the foundation for our freedom! And our wise forefathers gathered the best knowledge of their times to create the DOI and our other founding documents.

message 8: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jennafraugh) | 4102 comments Ausjenny wrote: "Im an Aussie but your history does fascinate me. I have the first book but haven't had a chance to read it yet.
I watched John Adams on the plane to Canada and found it fascinating also. It shows a..."

Come visit the Alamo and learn all about it!

message 9: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jennafraugh) | 4102 comments Although the Alamo isn't as big as you would think!

message 10: by Louise (new)

Louise Gouge (louisemgouge) | 419 comments I don't suppose many people just sit down and read the Declaration of Independence for fun. I read it every fall and spring for the college classes I teach. Sometimes I wax eloquent and sometimes I downright preach to my students about what a great country the USA is. What fun!

message 11: by Louise (new)

Louise Gouge (louisemgouge) | 419 comments I love the Alamo. Have been there several times and absorbed all that great history. The men who died there were as courageous as our founding fathers.

message 12: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jennafraugh) | 4102 comments Louise wrote: "I don't suppose many people just sit down and read the Declaration of Independence for fun. I read it every fall and spring for the college classes I teach. Sometimes I wax eloquent and sometimes I..."

Hehehe! I only read it when I have to for classes or papers I've had to write. Although I love history!

message 13: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jennafraugh) | 4102 comments Louise wrote: "I love the Alamo. Have been there several times and absorbed all that great history. The men who died there were as courageous as our founding fathers."

Me too! I used to live in New Braunfels area for ten years and would go to The Riverwalk and Alamo area all the time. I miss it!

message 14: by Ausjenny (new)

Ausjenny | 4954 comments Jennifer wrote: "Ausjenny wrote: "Im an Aussie but your history does fascinate me. I have the first book but haven't had a chance to read it yet.
I watched John Adams on the plane to Canada and found it fascinatin..."

would love to but its a sad story.

message 15: by Janet (new)

Janet Dean | 466 comments Louise, can't wait to read your book! The Revolution fascinates me.

Janet D

message 16: by Patsy (new)

Patsy | 217 comments Louise, I can't wait to read "The Captian's Lady". Just the name of the book alone is enough to entice me.

message 17: by Ausjenny (new)

Ausjenny | 4954 comments you know I dont think many aussies our constitution either. in fact we probably know more about yours than ours.

message 18: by Shelley (new)

Shelley (sydwi) | 15 comments I just got into genealogy and have found two of my ancestors who fought in the Revolutionary War. Before I found this branch of the family tree, all my relatives I'd known about had come to America between 1890 and 1900. Now I'm excited that my beloved American history is actually my family's history, too! I've been reading Revolutionary War books in celebration and I'm definitely looking forward to reading this one. :)

message 19: by Renee (new)

Renee (steelergirl83) | 211 comments There aren't a whole lot of Revolutionary War romances out there for the LI line are there? I really love the time period and hope everyone follows your lead Louise!

XOXO~ Renee

message 20: by Ausjenny (new)

Ausjenny | 4954 comments Carla Capshaw has one.

message 21: by Adrianna (new)

Adrianna (adriannas) | 32 comments Louise wrote: "I love to put real people from history into my stories. I try not to overdo it, and I try not to ascribe any characteristics to them that history does not bear out."

That's a good! When writers start to attribute too many non-factional characteristics to historical peoples, well, it just gets a little silly, imho!

message 22: by Melody (new)

Melody | 2493 comments This is my favorite period of history. I LOVE the Founding Fathers so so much, and have such utter respect for them. My favorite picture of all time is a painting called 'A Prayer At Valley Forge.' I want the biggest one I can get when I have my own house someday. The picture of George Washington kneeling in prayer next to his horse just speaks to me. He is a hero of mine. I am for sure going to have to read Louise's book!

message 23: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jennafraugh) | 4102 comments Melody wrote: "This is my favorite period of history. I LOVE the Founding Fathers so so much, and have such utter respect for them. My favorite picture of all time is a painting called 'A Prayer At Valley Forge.'..."

I love that painting!

message 24: by Louise (new)

Louise Gouge (louisemgouge) | 419 comments Shelley wrote: "I just got into genealogy and have found two of my ancestors who fought in the Revolutionary War. Before I found this branch of the family tree, all my relatives I'd known about had come to America..."

Shelley,
I have at least one ancestor who fought as a Patriot in the Revolution. I'm so proud of that! What a cool legacy.

message 25: by Louise (new)

Louise Gouge (louisemgouge) | 419 comments Melody wrote: "This is my favorite period of history. I LOVE the Founding Fathers so so much, and have such utter respect for them. My favorite picture of all time is a painting called 'A Prayer At Valley Forge.'..."

Thanks, Melody! I do hope you enjoy the book. Yes, that painting is so inspiring, isn't it?

message 26: by Louise (new)

Louise Gouge (louisemgouge) | 419 comments Renee wrote: "Louise, I love the setting of your book. Revolutionary war stories are so fascinating. I know this might not be a popular response, but I can sympathize with both sides. How scary to step out an..."

Renee, I'm impressed that you've been an American history teacher. My son teaches the same at a local high school, and he has my books in his classroom for students to borrow. As to the "popular response," well, we should be honest about these things. There were Christians on both sides in the war, and we're being silly not to acknowledge the different opinions about how to be governed. Thanks for pointing that out.

message 27: by Louise (new)

Louise Gouge (louisemgouge) | 419 comments Renee wrote: "There aren't a whole lot of Revolutionary War romances out there for the LI line are there? I really love the time period and hope everyone follows your lead Louise!

XOXO~ Renee"

Wouldn't that be super? Think of how many people would come to appreciate that time period!

message 28: by Louise (new)

Louise Gouge (louisemgouge) | 419 comments Yesterday (Tuesday) was the official release day for The Captain's Lady. I told my college classes about it in a bit of shameless self-promotion. LOL! Some of my students are interested, so I pray they'll buy a copy. Among the many things I love about writing for LIH is that the books are affordable for just about anyone, even "starving" college students!

message 29: by Louise (new)

Louise Gouge (louisemgouge) | 419 comments Thanks, Renee! That's true friendship. Don't forget Victoria Bylin's Kansas Courtship, a great book. We share the March release spots. My Walmart has about ten copies of each.

message 30: by Shelley (new)

Shelley (sydwi) | 15 comments It's one of the things I love, too, Louise. *g* I'm a parttime librarian with far too much in student loans to pay off, but I can still buy one or two a month without breaking the bank.

message 31: by Louise (new)

Louise Gouge (louisemgouge) | 419 comments Shelley, I hear you about those student loans. I was an older student and needed lots of financial aid because my four children were in school at the same time. I'm finally free of those debts. Yea! Also I joined the Harlequin book club. It's a nice, cheap way to get the books and they're delivered right to me. I'm all about that! LOL!

message 32: by Ausjenny (new)

Ausjenny | 4954 comments When I was in Canada and the USA for a holiday I was amazed at how cheap the books are its really great for people on a budget and they are getting wonderful books.
Here they are almost $9.

Renee American History does interest me. I understand the oppression by the king in England it seemed he was more interested in keeping america and not losing a fight than really listening to the issues. I know there were good people on both sides and alot of the English fighters didn't want to be there where as the patriots really had a fight they wanted to fight.
When you look at British history you can see how they dominated so many places and caused so much suffering.

message 33: by Louise (new)

Louise Gouge (louisemgouge) | 419 comments Ausjenny, have you considered buying a Kindle or other electronic reader? That way you could buy your books online and have them zapped to your device. Louise

message 34: by Ausjenny (new)

Ausjenny | 4954 comments The problem is the Kindle is around $360 aussie which I dont have.
The Nook would be a similar price and I just cant afford it but If I win one! I am entered into a contest to win one.
It would be so cool. I do get books from overseas at times and its so much cheaper. Oh and its much cheaper to buy books from Christianbook rather than amazon as amazons postage is extremely high.

message 35: by Carla (new)

Carla Capshaw (carlacapshaw) | 987 comments Mod
I just love Louise's books and I'm so glad LIH is publishing Colonial/American Revolution-set stories. A lot of times they're so hard to find.

message 36: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jennafraugh) | 4102 comments Carla wrote: "I just love Louise's books and I'm so glad LIH is publishing Colonial/American Revolution-set stories. A lot of times they're so hard to find."

agreed! I like that time period in history. Wish there were more books!

message 37: by Adrianna (new)

Adrianna (adriannas) | 32 comments Louise wrote: "Yesterday (Tuesday) was the official release day for The Captain's Lady. I told my college classes about it in a bit of shameless self-promotion. LOL! Some of my students are interested, so I pray ..."

Congrats on the release! I do hope some of your students buy the book! It sounds like a fantastic read!

message 38: by Carol (new)

Carol (lucky47) | 11 comments Hi Louise,
I'm looking forward to reading The Captain's Lady. I love History and The Revolution is a favorite time to read about.
Carol L.
Lucky4750@aol.com

message 39: by Victor (new)

Victor Gentile (vicgsreviews) | 5 comments The Captain's Lady sounds like a good action/adventure story similar to the old classic movies from MGM or Warner Brothers. Now you add in the romance to the story and you have bumped it up 3 or 4 notches. This sounds like a lot of fun and I am a sucker for a good romance. I will certainly check it out. Thanks

message 40: by Louise (new)

Louise Gouge (louisemgouge) | 419 comments I do hope you all will write to Steeple Hill and ask for more stories from this time period. Our editors love to please their readers, and they actually listen to your opinions! Louise

message 41: by Louise (new)

Louise Gouge (louisemgouge) | 419 comments Victor wrote: "The Captain's Lady sounds like a good action/adventure story similar to the old classic movies from MGM or Warner Brothers. Now you add in the romance to the story and you have bumped it up 3 or 4..."

Victor, I grew up on those movies, and they were my inspiration for this book. Louise

message 42: by Debbie (new)

Debbie (deborahw) | 7 comments I've seen the Declaration of Independence, Bill of Rights, etc in person, too, when I was a child. I was very impressed. I tend to read the Declaration of Independence and Bill of Rights every year or two just to make sure I remember what's in them since so much wrong information seems to go around about them. I've never read the Declaration of Rights and Grievances, though, so I'll look into that.

message 43: by Louise (new)

Louise Gouge (louisemgouge) | 419 comments Debbie wrote: "I've seen the Declaration of Independence, Bill of Rights, etc in person, too, when I was a child. I was very impressed. I tend to read the Declaration of Independence and Bill of Rights every year..."

What a great idea, Debbie. Every American should follow your example. My students are going to read the Declaration for class next Tuesday. BTW, you can find the Declaration of Rights and Grievances online. Really interesting!

message 44: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jennafraugh) | 4102 comments Debbie wrote: "I've seen the Declaration of Independence, Bill of Rights, etc in person, too, when I was a child. I was very impressed. I tend to read the Declaration of Independence and Bill of Rights every year..."

I think I've paid more attention to them lately than I have in recent years. Maybe because once I got to college and actually had to study them for real, I found things I never knew or that were misconstrued.

message 45: by Louise (new)

Louise Gouge (louisemgouge) | 419 comments Congratulations to Patsy for winning my giveaway. Please email me at Louisemgouge@aol.com with your full name and address.

message 46: by Ausjenny (new)

Ausjenny | 4954 comments Well done Patsy

message 47: by JanetTronstad (new)

JanetTronstad Author Tronstad | 2759 comments Mod
Congratulations, Patsy!

message 48: by Carol (new)

Carol (lucky47) | 11 comments Congrats Patsy.
Carol L.

message 49: by Debbie (new)

Debbie | 53 comments yay Patsy!!!

message 50: by Heidi (new)

Heidi | 985 comments CONGRATULATIONS Patsy! :)

« previous 1