House of Stuart discussion

People > Favourite Stuart?

Comments Showing 1-28 of 28 (28 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by CF (new)

CF (mrsclairef) | 53 comments Mod
I hope the Tudor History group does not mind me slightly changing some of their questions. But I find this relevant to this group too! Who is your fave?

Mine would be Charles II. I discovered him very early on. His sluttery, his debonair air, the whole 'is he protestant, is he catholic?' thing, the dedication to his brother inheriting the throne. Such an interesting person. With a LOT of bastard children, he has heirs alive today!

message 2: by Harvey (new)

Harvey | 20 comments My thoughts entirely!!! Absolute fave plus many other fascinating characters who were contemporary!

message 3: by Harvey (last edited Mar 15, 2010 12:23PM) (new)

Harvey | 20 comments Have no problems 'adopting' the question as it were, hopefully it will lead to some lively debates.
To be fair most of the Stuarts were, certainly then politically inept to the point of lunacy, which was a great pity for the dynasty.

message 4: by Misfit (new)

Misfit | 6 comments I enjoy reading about Charles as well, never get bored with it or the restoration period. I was fascinated to read Diane Norman's The Vizard Mask recently - for once he and his partying cronies don't come off quite so jolly and affable.

The Vizard Mask by Diana Norman

message 5: by Naomi V (new)

Naomi V (naomi_v) i'm looking forward to the discussion on this. i've just barely started with the Stuarts, having read, so far, only _Mary Queen of Scots_ by Antonia Fraser. i noticed that there's a new book about Charles II that was recently reviewed by the New York Times Book Review. has anybody read it?

message 6: by Harvey (new)

Harvey | 20 comments Read Antonia Fraser's Mary Queen of Scots and her Cromwell bio... have them. Must say I was not that impressed, though it is many years since I have reread them... and they are several thousands of miles away too, more is the pity. Nice discussion! :((

message 7: by Misfit (new)

Misfit | 6 comments I was thinking, this is a fascinating period in England's history and there are a lot of novels set there but not focusing on the Stuarts. Would anyone be interested in a separate thread to mention them? I'm always on the hunt for more. Tired of the Tudors....

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 20 comments Charles II. I liked Antonia Fraser's bio of him (have the Cromwell, but haven't gotten to it yet).

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 20 comments Misfit wrote: "I was thinking, this is a fascinating period in England's history and there are a lot of novels set there but not focusing on the Stuarts. Would anyone be interested in a separate thread to mention..."

Sure!

message 10: by CF (new)

I'd be up for finding some novels fo' sho'. The only ones I can think of are Christie Dickasons ones set in James I's time. But it's not really got much to do with the monarch himself. More about a firemaster. ><

message 11: by Marylou (last edited Mar 17, 2010 04:52PM) (new)

Marylou (loulu) | 3 comments Do you think Charles II played golf? He had many of the same qualities of a famous golfer.

message 12: by Misfit (new)

Misfit | 6 comments Claire wrote: "I'd be up for finding some novels fo' sho'. The only ones I can think of are Christie Dickasons ones set in James I's time. But it's not really got much to do with the monarch himself. More about a..."

I really enjoyed Pamela Belle's two series on the Civil War. Not set in court but in the countryside so you see the effects of it from that angle. Shamefully out of print.

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 20 comments Marylou wrote: "Do you think Charles II played golf? He had many of the same qualities of a famous golfer."

Well, his great-grandmother certainly did!

message 14: by CF (new)

^ Ha!! I was about to say the same! I've seen that poster for the National Gallery so many times 'Scottish Queen, Catholic Martyr, Talented Golfer'

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 20 comments Well, I believe Charles I was playing golf when he heard of the rebellion in Ireland in 1641. (He reportedly either finished the round, or used the news of the rebellion to excuse him from finishing a match he was losing.) James II (when Duke of York) played a challenge match in 1681, defending the sport as Scottish and not "English." (He won.)

I think that tends to suggest that Charles II probably did play golf. LOL

message 16: by CF (new)

^ Indeed it does! Love it. I could just see him there in his hose, clicking his tongue and leaning on a golf club.

message 17: by imngrer (last edited Mar 20, 2010 02:02PM) (new)

imngrer | 2 comments Apparently Charles II had so many illegitimate children that the current Prince William is a descendent of at least four of them through his mother.

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 20 comments sgm wrote: "Apparently Charles II had so many illegitimate children that the current Prince William is a descendent of at least four of them through his mother."

Wouldn't surprise me!

message 19: by CF (new)

^
^ Ha!!! That's great, I didn't realize that the Spencers had Stuart blood in them as well. Because of course William has Stuart blood through his father.

message 20: by Harvey (new)

Harvey | 20 comments http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/sc... will be of interest to Stuart fans.....

message 21: by Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (last edited Mar 23, 2010 10:44AM) (new)

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 20 comments Claire wrote: "^
^ Ha!!! That's great, I didn't realize that the Spencers had Stuart blood in them as well. Because of course William has Stuart blood through his father."

I think William is also a descendant of James II. Lots of (illegitimate) Stuart blood in the Spencers, apparently.

message 22: by CF (new)

^ yes! Harvey I saw that in the Metro today and was all 'OMG!'

message 23: by Harvey (new)

Harvey | 20 comments Great!!!!!!!!!

message 24: by Mary (new)

Mary | 7 comments I loved Antonia Fraser's "Mary Queen of Scots", still have it on my bookshelf. Read many non-fiction/fiction books of the Stuart era. Looking for a good fiction writer? Try Jean Plaidy.

message 25: by CF (new)

Finishing A Gambling Man, I realise how many formidable women there were during the Stuart era, and how it was the turning point for women's opinion. Many of these were Charles II's mistresses. Nell Gwynne is particularly fascinating.

message 26: by Daisy (new)

Daisy Charles II, simple as that :)

message 27: by Andrea (new)

Andrea Zuvich (17thcenturylady) | 7 comments It's a tie between William III and Rupert of the Rhine (half Stuart!). Yummy!

message 28: by CF (new)

^ Haha they could be awfully debonair couldn't they. Give me a man in hose!