The Bronze Horseman discussion

The Books > The Bronze Horseman

Comments Showing 1-50 of 79 (79 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Alycia (new)

Alycia | 549 comments Mod
I thought we could talk about book 1, TBH here in this thread. I know several are currently reading, or have read, or are rereading this wonderful book... I would love to hear your thoughts! :)

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm currently re-reading TBH... Honestly, I didn't think I'd be so engrossed in the plot as I was when I read the book for the first time, but as every assumption I have made concerning this trilogy I was wrong again, I'm completely immersed with the plot.

I was wondering... What is your favorite part of the book?
To be honest, I simply can't pick one, Lazarevo was beyond any word I can find, Luga was absolutely unbelievable... though I also love the moments in their suffocating apartment in fifth Soviet... WTH I love every single phrase of this book!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sometimes I find myself regretting reading TBH, for I know I will never find another book with such characters... and plot... and Shura *sob*

message 3: by ChristinaRae (new)

ChristinaRae | 163 comments Mod
OK, I am re-reading TBH (so much for Lent) and I still feel that Tania is misguided in hiding the ALexander thing from her sister. Maybe she is genuinely being thoughtful, but isn't much worse to be told something like that later rather than sooner? (for Dasha; not that it mattered in the long run) Alexander is clearly NOT going anywhere, so it seems to me that it's just delaying the inevitable to not tell Dasha. Tatiana is noble, maybe, but not very practical.

message 4: by Alycia (new)

Khulood wrote: "I'm currently re-reading TBH... Honestly, I didn't think I'd be so engrossed in the plot as I was when I read the book for the first time, but as every assumption I have made concerning this trilog..."

My favorite part was definitely Lazarevo! They finally get to be together and not have to hide their love... I never wanted that to end....

message 5: by ChristinaRae (last edited Mar 17, 2010 09:00AM) (new)

My favorite part is actually the bus. Love fated meetings; so awkward, yet so fraught with promise.

message 6: by Alycia (new)

Yes, that is a favorite of mine too ChistinaRae.. you are right, full of promise!

message 7: by Mishelle (new)

Mishelle LaBrash (mishalabrash) ChristinaRae wrote: "My favorite part is actually the bus. Love fated meetings; so awkward, yet so frought with promise."

Ditto. :)

message 8: by Diane (new)

Diane (LadyDi4476) | 107 comments I love the bus meeting too, especially after reading TBTHC and knowing what Alexander was thinking the entire time. I actually like his POV more than her's. It was like instant attraction for him. He was enamored of her from the moment he laid eyes on her. It really was a case of love at first sight.
Christina Rae, I agree Tania was not very practical. But she was also young and had never experienced something like this happening to her. Like she says to Alexander, she doesn't know how to deal with lying to her family. Hiding something so huge from her own sister. I could see it from her point of view because she had to sleep in the same bed with Dasha every night and she had no where to go. So if she were to tell Dasha the truth it's not like they would live happily after ever. I am sure there are better ways they both could have handled it.
It did bother me that Tania made the rules and then got upset when Alexander played by them though.

message 9: by Kelly (new)

Kelly  | 637 comments To pick one favorite part is soooooo hard.
But I loved the hospital scene when the nurse is telling Alexander about the crazy nurse that saved his life.
That she poured her immortal blood into him.

message 10: by Diane (new)

Diane (LadyDi4476) | 107 comments Then he started crying. One of few times he broke down. I love when he sees her later and he can't even speak to her, he's so overwhelmed. He keeps saying he doesn't deserve her. Picking a favorite part is impossible! But I do love everything about Luga. How gentle he is with her. Their first kiss in the woods too.

message 11: by Kelly (new)

Kelly  | 637 comments Diane wrote: "Then he started crying. One of few times he broke down. I love when he sees her later and he can't even speak to her, he's so overwhelmed. He keeps saying he doesn't deserve her. Picking a favorite..."

The book really is perfection!
Alexander....sigh.....

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

Perfection indeed.
Just finished the Lazarevo part *sobbing* Though this part is over and I'm so sad, but I also love when Tania follows her Shura back to Leningrad, she risks her life just because she knew she has to be close to him... for he needed her... God...

May I ask, how you were first introduced to this book?
I was first introduced to this book by a guy who worked at a the book store from which I bought TBH, he practically begged me to read this book so I figured it must be something... Oh it was!

message 13: by Kelly (new)

Kelly  | 637 comments Khulood wrote: "Perfection indeed.
Just finished the Lazarevo part *sobbing* Though this part is over and I'm so sad, but I also love when Tania follows her Shura back to Leningrad, she risks her life just becaus..."

It was on Goodreads. I think it may have been under the Outlander group thread other great books. I never thought I would find a love like Jamie then I fell for Alexander!!!

Have you read Outlander?

message 14: by ChristinaRae (new)

I got turned on to it by the Outlander threads too. It seemed like there were a lot of people saying they loved it.

My other favorite part is when Tatiana's Deda dies and Alexander comforts her by saying, "Come here" and patting his chest. (BIG SIGH)

I keep thinking I'll be able to re-read the book at a human pace because I've already read it and I know what happens, but then I get to a really good part and *forget it* the kids make their own dinner. :) (if you count pouring cold cereal as "making dinner")

message 15: by [deleted user] (new)

Oh what an irony; I turned on the Outlander series by TBH threads! :D
I haven't read Outlander yet but I bought the first and the third book (couldn't find the 2nd one, I'll look for it in another book store) It sounds really good.

What I love about TBH is that at any moment, I could read it, I don't get bored with it. :)

message 16: by Diane (new)

Diane (LadyDi4476) | 107 comments Same here Khulood! I can pick it up at anytime at any random chapter and I will get sucked in all over again. I never get bored with it! :)

message 17: by Naima (new)

Naima (nearhere) | 5 comments I looooove The Bronze Horseman but can't pick a favorite part because there are too many. As soon as I think of one scene, I'll remember something else!

message 18: by Melissa (new)

Melissa | 4 comments I also found TBH through an Outlander group thread and I'm so glad I did! I have read book 1 and am waiting to borrow the final 2 books from a friend. I can't wait to see what happens next.

I loved Lazarevo, when they didn't have to hide anymore. I swear I cried through half the book. Of course it doesn't help that I'm pregnant and hormonal. Lol! Oh Alexander...

message 19: by Carly (new)

Carly | 47 comments I feel the same as Naima - as I was reading all of the posts, I kept thinking "Yes - that's my favorite part!" But then I would read the next post and think the same thing. One of my favorites is when they are in the hospital together and Tania asks Alexander if he would have kissed her when they had that picnic dinner for her birthday, if she hadn't been so shy. And he says something along the lines of "You were so terrified of me. And I was completely gone for you." **Swoon!**

message 20: by Diane (new)

Diane (LadyDi4476) | 107 comments Yes...and he then he says if she had given him just half a sign he would have ravished on her right there on the bench. *thud!* & *swoon!*

message 21: by Carly (new)

Carly | 47 comments LOL - definitely!

message 22: by [deleted user] (new)

YES! Definitely one of my favorite parts!

LOL I tend to mark my favorite parts of the book, every time I come across a part I love I'd say "That's it!" and then I'd move to another one and I'd change my mind...
I also loved the part when Alexander finds out that Tatiana literally poured her blood into his veins... I love when the nurse asks "Major, are you all right? Why are you crying?"

Christine (Cagnes) (cagnes) | 15 comments Just wanted to pass on that The Bronze Horseman with Bonus Material can currently be pre-ordered for Kindle at a special discount price of $1.99!

I already have the book, but couldn't pass it up at that price to do a re-read on my kindle! :)

message 24: by Moni (new)

Moni | 79 comments THANKYOU!!!! Awesome of you Christina!

Christine (Cagnes) (cagnes) | 15 comments Moni wrote: "THANKYOU!!!! Awesome of you Christina!"

You're welcome! I adore this book!

message 26: by Leea (new)

Leea | 317 comments We all do - that's why we are here...lol!! Alexander and Tatiana have a special kind of love.

message 27: by Ellen W-S (new)

Ellen W-S | 21 comments Christine, I own the paperback but I purchases the kindle version too. Thanks for the headsup!

Christine (Cagnes) (cagnes) | 15 comments Ellen wrote: "Christine, I own the paperback but I purchases the kindle version too. Thanks for the headsup!"

You're welcome! I have all 3 books in hardback, but I much rather read on my Kindle. I wish they would offer the other 2 books for Kindle at a sale price, I'd love to also have those on my ereader!

message 29: by Tina (new)

Tina | 231 comments I don't have a Kindle. Can someone tell me what the bonus material is about. Am I missing something special? Because if I am, I just might have to get myself a Kindle just for this :)

message 30: by Kelly (new)

Kelly  | 637 comments Christine S. wrote: "Just wanted to pass on that The Bronze Horseman with Bonus Material can currently be pre-ordered for Kindle at a special discount price of $1.99!

I already have the book, but couldn't pass it up ..."

Thanks!

message 31: by Kelly (new)

Kelly  | 637 comments Christine S. wrote: "Ellen wrote: "Christine, I own the paperback but I purchases the kindle version too. Thanks for the headsup!"

You're welcome! I have all 3 books in hardback, but I much rather read on my Kindle. I..."

Christine S. wrote: "Ellen wrote: "Christine, I own the paperback but I purchases the kindle version too. Thanks for the headsup!"

You're welcome! I have all 3 books in hardback, but I much rather read on my Kindle. I..."<

Christine Your avatar reminds me of Claire from Outlander!

message 32: by Leea (new)

Leea | 317 comments It's is Claire from the graphic novel :)

Cool don't you think? Kelly have you read the outlander series?

message 33: by Kelly (new)

Kelly  | 637 comments Leea {Escape Artist} wrote: "It's is Claire from the graphic novel :)

Cool don't you think? Kelly have you read the outlander series?"

Drrrr...... no wonder she looks like Claire!!!!
I have and LOVE it but I haven't read the GN.

Christine (Cagnes) (cagnes) | 15 comments Tina wrote: "I don't have a Kindle. Can someone tell me what the bonus material is about. Am I missing something special? Because if I am, I just might have to get myself a Kindle just for this :)"

The bonus material is just excerpts from "Tatiana and Alexander" & "The Summer Garden".

Yep, my avatar is Claire from The Exile: An Outlander Graphic Novel.
The Exile An Outlander Graphic Novel by Diana Gabaldon

message 35: by Toni (new)

Toni | 298 comments I am so over the moon for the TBH books and Alexander and Tatiana. Everything about them is perfection. I sobbed so hard while reading them that I woke up the next morning (as if I actually slept instead of read..could not put this book down!) with my eyes all puffy and red. I can only imagine what was going thru everyones' heads when they saw me and asked if I was okay and I responded by saying that I had just been reading!!(well, not JUST reading, reading about Tatiana and Alexander...that's something else entirely-almost like living it as I felt that I felt the characters emotions so thoroughly). I want to read it again but I am worried that I need a little gap first so I can forget a little (as if that's possible!). Only I find myself thinking of this book all the time. I heard about the Outlander series from these threads so I purchased those and expect them anyday, but could they possible compare to TBH? To Alexander? It seems impossible. Did you guys really get super into it the second time? Is it just as good? Can you still FEEL their emotions? Oh, I am dying to read it again!!! Is Outlander good? If it doesn't get here soon I will just go pluck TBH off the shelf and dig in-I was sooo sad when TSG ended. These books are such a gift!

message 36: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 183 comments Hey Toni, have you read the other books in TBH series (bridge to holy cross/tatian & alexander and the summer garden)? I've read THB probably around 20 times now, and the other two at least 10-15 I think! I love them so much and even though I've read them so often I can practically recite them I still find 'new' bits that I'd forgotten about or that touch me in a different way. I've never grown bored of it and when I re-read I still can't put it down even though I know what happens!
I really enjoyed Outlander though I don't think it's in the same league as TBH - I've read Outlander twice now, and will probably read it again, though I don't think I could read it 20 times like TBH! I also find the other books in the Outlander series kind of average - I think the first 3 books were good, but then the others got a bit boring and I struggled to read them all. I'm still looking forward to the last Outlander book though (book 8 I think), which comes out next year!

message 37: by Kelly (last edited Apr 09, 2011 07:49PM) (new)

Kelly  | 637 comments Toni wrote: "I am so over the moon for the TBH books and Alexander and Tatiana. Everything about them is perfection. I sobbed so hard while reading them that I woke up the next morning (as if I actually slept i..."

I could read them over and over and do and always find something new!
I think my favorite reread was T&A. I had rushed through it so fast when I originally read it because I wanted them together! The reread especially after reading TSG was incredibly heartbreaking!

Orbeli!

message 38: by Leea (new)

Leea | 317 comments I can't wait to re-read the Trilogy again... I feel the same way Kelly - I rushed through them the first time. It's hard not to because it's a wonderful story.

Orbeli!!!!!!!

message 39: by Tina (new)

Tina | 231 comments I have reread them all 3 times now, and my heart still skips and I still cry at these books. Reread them, you won't be disappointed, only crazier in love (with Alexander) :)

message 40: by Toni (new)

Toni | 298 comments yes tina, I am rereading TBH-well, just finished (in a heap of tears) an hour ago and now searching my book shelf to start T&A for the second time, and though I did not think it possible, I am more crazy about Alexander. He is just insanely perfect and well...sigh....what can I say? He's just so...wow!

orbeli!!!

message 41: by Tina (new)

Tina | 231 comments Toni wrote: "yes tina, I am rereading TBH-well, just finished (in a heap of tears) an hour ago and now searching my book shelf to start T&A for the second time, and though I did not think it possible, I am more..."

:) Orbeli!!!

message 42: by Kelly (new)

Kelly  | 637 comments Orbeli:)

message 43: by Megan (last edited Apr 17, 2011 10:35PM) (new)

Megan | 410 comments Jessica, funny you mention that, I'm up to the fourth book in Outlander at the moment and am finding that I'm psyching myself up to read it - kind of like the first 200 pages in Outlander (it took me ages to get hooked). I LOVED Dragonfly in Amber and the first half of Voyager, but I just can't seem to get over this hump. I think it's the size of the series that's putting me off...

Toni - I agree, TBH is pretty spectacular, and it took me a good 5 years to find anything even remotely as good (every time I started another mediocre book, I'd find myself re-reading TBH just for that emotional rush it gives you - regardless if its the first or fifth time you've read it) but I was blown away by another series earlier this year. Jennifer Donnelly's "The Tea Rose" and "The Winter Rose". The sequel is the BEST sequel I've ever read, I've just downloaded it on my kindle and am flicking between my kindle version of TBH and The Winter Rose. It's in the same calibre as TBH... I can't wait for The Wild Rose to come out later in the year ;)

message 44: by Toni (new)

Toni | 298 comments So glad you mentioned it took you a while to get hooked Megan b/c as I read I am wondering when it will happen, but again, I am horribly spoiled by TBH which enraptured me right away (of course who wouldn't be enraptured with that gorgeous and amazing man crossing the street with that kind of emotion of oncoming love and adoration in his heart!!). But due to the numerous (!!!!!) posts lauding Outlander I am willing to stick it out. But it is funny b/c SO many people that have raved on it did say that the first three books are wonderful but it wanes greatly after that which I can well imagine even though I have not yet read it as it is a very long time to be caught up with the same characters-I mean after a while you need a wonderful way to wrap up their experience. Anyhow, I really ought read it before saying such comments-it's just my idea on things. As far as the Tea Rose/Winter Rose series I have also heard that is excellent and hearing your review on it drives it home even more. If you can say that it is that good- being we have the same ideas of the brilliance of TBH then I surely will purchase them after I complete Outlander (or how ever many of that series I feel I want to complete). Anyhow, I greatly appreciate the review as it gives me hope that it's not all down hill after TBH. I'm too young to have reached my reading pinnacle already (haha). But Alexander...oh Alexander ( sigh )!!!!!!

message 45: by Megan (new)

Megan | 410 comments Toni - I couldn't agree more, books (even series) need an ending, my pet hate is Authors who don't give up on their characters and just drag it out for the sake of keeping them alive, meanwhile these characters have to endure experiences which would never ever happen in real life, which makes them unbelievable. I think this is why I loved the Tea Rose/Winter Rose so much, whilst it's a series and the characters play a part in the subsequent books, the books are quite independent from each other. The Tea Rose wraps up nicely with a good end, then The Winter Rose has a completely different storyline, with a shift in the protagonist. I've just read some advanced book reports on The Wild Rose and it looks as though Jennifer Donnelly has shifted the focus again for the third book onto new characters. I can't wait to read it!!!

message 46: by Jasmine (new)

Jasmine (enchantingdragon) | 8 comments I just read TBH and T&A and am currently rereading TBH because I cant get it out of my head and am doing a small discussion of it on another forum in Good Reads. I want to talk about it but am having a hard time forming all my thoughts about it too. Im trying to convince a few of my friends to read it so I have someone to talk to. Eeek!

message 47: by Leea (new)

Leea | 317 comments I did the same thing Jasmine, I made all my friends read it so we could discuss. ha! TBH is hard to put into words the kind of emotions it evokes in people.

message 48: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm reading The Bronze Horseman for the second time too, and this is probably the first book that I can seriously reread. I'm so surprised to find that it's even better than the first time I read it! Knowing what happens in the future, in the other two books, it gives the story such depth and meaning. And seeing favourite lines and innuendo used for the first time, aware that 15, 20 years down the road, in another world and life away, Alexander and Tatiana will still be using those lines.

e.g. "Oh, now that it's daylight, I'm suddenly Alexander again?" he said.

*sigh.

message 49: by Jasmine (new)

Jasmine (enchantingdragon) | 8 comments Rena wrote: "I'm reading The Bronze Horseman for the second time too, and this is probably the first book that I can seriously reread. I'm so surprised to find that it's even better than the first time I read i..."

I agree! Im re-reading too and am noticing so much more that I glossed over the first time. This book just gets better and better :)

message 50: by Milena (new)

Milena (love_tea78) | 157 comments Rena, that line by Alexander always puts smile on my face. I just love it.
TBH is such a quotable book.

« previous 1