The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

BOOK REVIEWS > Polly's Spring Challenge Reviews.

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Pollyanna (last edited Mar 24, 2010 11:08AM) (new)

Pollyanna (polly8) | 114 comments Tasks Completed:
15.3 At Least Once in a Lifetime
20.10 Group Reads
25.5 Spring Cleaning
25.7 The Gods must be Crazy
15.9 What's in a Name

message 2: by Pollyanna (new)

Pollyanna (polly8) | 114 comments The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood 4*
This book really makes you realise how lucky you are, I really felt for Offred as she had a normal life before she was made into a handmaid. It is a very creepy story that you can imagine could come true. After this book I definitely want to read more by Atwood.

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins 5*
I am already excited about the sequel to this book, it was such a thrilling ride all the way through. Katniss and Peeta are such lovable characters, the way they were with each other was very sweet but it was hard to see as it wasn't necessarily real. The ending was perfect as it has made me want to read more. A great storyline that I am hoping will just get better and better.

Fallen by Lauren Kate 5*
I really enjoyed this book, I loved the characters and the storyline was fascinating. I was shocked at the end, a couple of twists made it even more enjoyable. Can't wait for the 2nd book now.

Rising Shadow by Jacquelyn Wheeler 4*
I won this through First Reads and I'm glad I did. I like the idea of the Soterians and I liked the characters in this book. I like Kai and Ashlyn's relationship but felt it was a little cheesy in parts. My only problem with this book was that I felt the action took up too small a part in the book, the last few chapters felt too rushed. I also felt that the other Soterians could have been part of the book more, but I'm hoping we find out more about them in the next book.

Herland by Charlotte Perkins Gilman 1*
I got half way through this book and I decided to leave it there. I felt as it was such a short book that I should continue to read it but it was so dull I just found it hard to even concentrate on reading it. I felt that nothing really happened in the book apart from 3 men making it to a country full of just women.

message 3: by Pollyanna (new)

Pollyanna (polly8) | 114 comments The Lightning Thief by Rick Riordan 4*

I really enjoyed this book once I got into it. The first 100 pages didn't grab me straight away and I felt that Percy seemed older than a 12 yr old but this was a really fun book and the ending was a shock to me. I've heard this series gets better so I'll definitely read the next one.

Animal Farm by George Orwell 5*

This is a very quick read but a book that will stay with me for a long time. It is the first time I have read a book where I have detested pigs lol. This was an easier book to read than 1984 and was more enjoyable but it actually made me feel even more angry than 1984. Brilliant read.