A Thousand Veils Discussion Group discussion

Contests > Contest Winner

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by D.J. (new)

D.J. Murphy (DJMurphy) | 43 comments Mod
Congratulations to Catherine Burke, winner of the contest. It was Sarah, Charles' companion, who encouraged him to discard his veil of corporate success and find more meaning in life by helping Fatima to escape Hussein and seek asylum.

message 2: by Catherine (new)

Catherine | 4 comments DJ, thanks a million! Any suggestions for a new GOOD READ? Wish I could get an autographed copy of your book! thanks again, Catherine

message 3: by D.J. (new)

Catherine,

If you are interested in reading more about Islam and Muslim women, I can recommend three books that I have read recently.

The first is "The Daughter of Isis," the autobiography of Nawal El Saadawi, a preeminent Muslim woman writer.

I would also recommend "Infidel" by Ali Hirsi Ayaan. She was raised in a very traditional society in Somalia and Kenya but managed to escape an arranged marriage and fled to the Netherlands where she eventually became a member of Parliament.

Finally, "The Islamist" by Ed Hussein. Hussein grew up in a middle class, religious but very moderate, Muslim family in the UK. He was seduced by the intellectual appeal of fundamentalist Islamist groups but later realized that they could not provide the answers he sought. His book provides a real insight into the philosophy of these extremist groups which are essentially political, not religious. I consider this book to be a must-read.

D.J.

message 4: by Catherine (new)

Catherine | 4 comments thanks!
how about mailing a check to you for an autographed book?

message 5: by D.J. (new)

That sounds great! I will send you a message with my address.