Witches, Weres, and Vamps, Oh MY! discussion

Group Read Discussions > Beautiful Creatures - Spoilers

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Shanon (new)

Shanon (boban) | 1166 comments Mod
Feel free to discuss any part of our March Group Read, Beautiful Creatures, in this tread.

Spoilers are to be expected.

message 2: by Sarah (new)

Sarah I really liked this one for the slow, atmospheric buildup, but the ending wasn't what I expected. I'm curious to see what everyone thinks.

message 3: by Shanon (new)

I liked it but not enough to really rave about it.

It was unique because we got to read about a teen romance from the boys point-of-view. I just wish he acted & behaved a little more like the boys I knew in high school instead of the overly-mature guy that he was. Although, if he was like the 16 year olds I knew there really wouldn't have been much of a story so I guess he was just fine.

The atmospheric buildup was really good. I listened to the audiobook and it threw in some sound effects which I had to laugh at actually. I think this is one of those books that I would've been better off reading rather than listening to it.

message 4: by VMom (last edited Mar 15, 2010 01:16PM) (new)

VMom (votermom) | 29 comments It was just ok for me also. I stayed up to finish it, so obviously it was page-turner, but I agree with you, Shannon, that he was very atypical for a 16yo. Specially when he would rather talk than make out with his gf. LOL.
I thought the ending was a big cop-out. I would rather not read the sequel just to find out that the REAL choice comes on the 18th birthday.
It also bothered me a bit that although it was in a southern town, all the characters were white except the housekeeper who was very stereotyped.

message 5: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) Mayakda wrote: "It was just ok for me also. I stayed up to finish it, so obviously it was page-turner, but I agree with you, Shannon, that he was very atypical for a 16yo. Specially when he would rather talk than ..."

I really liked the book. Maybe I was just in the right mood for it at the time, I don't know, but I gave it 5 stars. I guess I can see why some people would be put off by the lack of black characters, but I know that there are places like that in the South since that's where my family is from, and most of them still live there. However, there are places like that in the US that aren't in the south, too.

message 6: by Literary Ames (new)

Literary Ames (amyorames) | 77 comments Mayakda wrote: "...I thought the ending was a big cop-out. I would rather not read the sequel just to find out that the REAL choice comes on the 18th birthday..."

I totally agree.

There were some things I liked about this book but it was really long and quite slow and I really didn't like the ending. I felt the need to set up the sequel over-ruled the need to provide a good ending. I'm not going to read the sequel, I think it will be very similar to this one. The 'Seventeen moons' bit had me rolling my eyes and thinking of the movie Groundhog Day.

message 7: by Natacha (new)

Natacha (tacha) | 6 comments The author creates a beautiful setting but the characters were lacking. I did like the boy and I think what I liked about him was that he was mature. If the author made him act like a real 16 year old, I wouldn't have even finished the book. He was charming and cute in a boy next door kind of way. But I found it hard to relate to the girl. The attempt at making her "artsy" failed and she came across as more of a want-to-be. I also didn't really feel the chemistry, and therefore never really cared about what would happen in the end.

I was really hopeful at the beginning - loved the setting - but the characters failed to draw me in. The ending was also a little lame for me. I think all it needed was a little more angst and drama.
Also, the cousin with the lollipop kind of annoyed me.

Overall, it was somewhat entertaining, which is what reading is all about, so I gave it 3 stars.

message 8: by Julia (new)

Julia | 119 comments I didn't care for the book. But I read a whole bunch of very similar YA books all around it and really didn't care much for any of them.

The only black characters were the housekeeper and the librarian, whose name I'm pretty sure was even Marian...("Marian the Librarian" is a song in "Music Man.)

I won't read the sequel.

message 9: by Shanon (new)

Julia wrote: "I didn't care for the book. But I read a whole bunch of very similar YA books all around it and really didn't care much for any of them."

I went through a string of YA books that weren't stellar as well. It scared me off YA books for a little while actually.

I'll eventually read the sequel but it won't be something I rush out to get on the release date by any means. I think the idea behind the Casters has potential.