Beyond Reality discussion

SERIES—List & Discussions > Miles Vorkosigan--KOMARR - finished reading *spoilers*

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Stefan, Group Founder + Moderator (Retired) (new)

Stefan (sraets) | 1667 comments Mod
This topic is for people who have finished reading Komarr - spoilers allowed.

message 2: by Jon (last edited Mar 15, 2010 05:32PM) (new)

Jon (jonmoss) | 626 comments I finished this a couple of weeks ago and loved it. Here's my review and a couple of trivia questions I wrote. I plan on creating a second quiz called 'Vorkosigan Saga Continues' once I finish reading the rest of the series.

Ekaterin's character touched me deeply. The death of her husband seemed a bit convenient, but I'll chalk that up to artistic license. Otherwise, we might never have had a Barrayaran love interest for Miles. :)

message 3: by Kerry (new)

Kerry (rocalisa) | 486 comments I just started rereading this yesterday. I've only read the first chapter so far, but goodness I'd forgotten just how much of an ass Tien was. I think I'm going to be very annoyed as I reread my way through the book.

message 4: by Kathi, Moderator & Book Lover (new)

Kathi | 3082 comments Mod
:-) Got Jon's 2 trivia questions right.

I stayed up till 2 AM to finish this.

I, too, was very involved with Ekaterin's character, and I agree that Tien's death is convenient. But since she was leaving him and had told him that before his death, I felt like the death simply made things easier in the aftermath but didn't change the direction she had already started to take for herself.

I did find it somewhat contradictory that Ekaterin was so numb, so dead, so emotionally flat and yet so quick to respond to Miles. But then we get a clue as to how he was able to penetrate her numbness when, at the very end of the book, Ekaterin describes Miles as "concentrated". I loved that description and it so completely captures his force of personality. And yet, throughout the book, he is simply himself and more at home with himself than in the books prior to this.

Seeds of romance to be nurtured in the upcoming books, I hope, and a whopping good mystery in this book.

message 5: by Sandra (new)

Sandra  (sleo) | 1141 comments I started this series this month and have read up to the last omnibus edition, that has Falling Free, Labyrinth, and Diplomatic Immunity.

I liked Komarr a lot, but Memory and A Civil Campaign are my favorites so far.

message 6: by Sandra (last edited Mar 30, 2010 07:46PM) (new)

Sandra  (sleo) | 1141 comments Kathi, I also loved Ekaterin's description of Miles as concentrated.

message 7: by Ken (new)

Ken (ogi8745) | 1348 comments I finally got around to reading this one. I enjoyed it. I thought it was better than Memory. I found the flipping back and forth between Ekaterin and Miles. Tien was a bit of a cardboard character. Totally written to be killed off, unlikable and an ass. I would of rather has Tien been at least likable.

message 8: by Fayley (new)

Fayley Although Tien was an unlikeable ass I still found him completely believable as I have known two people like him - the way he criticized others, saw the worst in people, didn't have friends, didn't take responsibility for self, was overly attached to tradition, and was defensive - these characteristics were real to me. Also The way he twisted everything to be her fault and she ended up questioning herself "am I crazy?" (emphasis on the "I").

message 9: by Ken (new)

Ken (ogi8745) | 1348 comments Oh I know people like that too. It was just real convenient for Miles. I am assuming they eventually get together but for me making the guy in Miles way an ass was too easy