Koontzland - Dean Koontz discussion

From the Corner of His Eye
This topic is about From the Corner of His Eye
Stand Alone Novels 2000-2007 > From The Corner Of His Eye (Group Read - April 2010)

Comments Showing 1-50 of 154 (154 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4

message 1: by Matt R. (new)

Matt R. (matt2009) | 202 comments This thread is for the April group read discussion. Post all comments here.

message 2: by Dustin Crazy little brown owl, Colorful Colorado (last edited Apr 06, 2010 12:22PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dustin Crazy little brown owl (dustpancrazy) | 5751 comments Mod
From the Corner of His Eye by Dean Koontz

This will be fun!

Please Use *Spoiler Alerts* as needed if your post might ruin the story for other readers. Thank You.

Jaice Cooperrider (plasborgma) | 1299 comments As I have said many times, this is my favorite Koontz book of all time and is in my top three books of all time by any author. The characters are fascinating; most of them are endearing and one is vile. The ending is perfect, IMO, finishing off a riveting story just right. I am excited to hear what others think of this one.

message 4: by Dustin Crazy little brown owl, Colorful Colorado (new) - rated it 5 stars

This is a long one, but I'm excited to re-read it. Will you be re-reading Jason or just commenting?

message 5: by Jaice (last edited Mar 19, 2010 09:52AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jaice Cooperrider (plasborgma) | 1299 comments Dustin wrote: "This is a long one, but I'm excited to re-read it. Will you be re-reading Jason or just commenting?"

I'll probably just be commenting. I think you know my policy on rereading. Besides, I still remember it very well, even though it has been 1.5 years since I read it. :-)

Maciek | 666 comments Jason "plasborgma" wrote: "As I have said many times, this is my favorite Koontz book of all time and is in my top three books of all time by any author. The characters are fascinating; most of them are endearing and one is vile. The ending is perfect, IMO, finishing off a riveting story just right. I am excited to hear what others think of this one. "

Whoa ! Now you got me interested !

message 7: by Dustin Crazy little brown owl, Colorful Colorado (new) - rated it 5 stars

Maciek, you haven't read From the Corner of His Eye? You don't want to miss this one :-)

Maciek | 666 comments I have the book on my shelf, but haven't read it yet. I'll try to read it with the group in April, and since seeing that both you and Jason gave it 5 stars I have very high expectations.

Elena I plan to read the book. I confess I had the book at one time and gave it away when I got frustrated when Koontz (couldn't finish two of this books in a row). But it definetely got some good review so I am in.

message 10: by Dustin Crazy little brown owl, Colorful Colorado (last edited Mar 21, 2010 02:30PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Elena wrote: "I plan to read the book. I confess I had the book at one time and gave it away when I got frustrated when Koontz (couldn't finish two of this books in a row). But it definetely got some good revie..."

Great Elena :-) Yeah, I also get "frustrated" with Koontz and other authors at times. We have a discussion thread here in Koontzland where you can take out your frustrations with Dean Koontz's books. Here's the link to that discussion:
http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/2...

message 11: by Carol (last edited Mar 22, 2010 10:28AM) (new) - added it

Carol Neman | 118 comments Dustin wrote: "Elena wrote: "I plan to read the book. I confess I had the book at one time and gave it away when I got frustrated when Koontz (couldn't finish two of this books in a row). But it definetely got s..."

Dustin, I received two plastic grocery bags full of paperbacks and a few hardbounds Saturday, and much to my surprise and delight, From The Corner Of His Eye was included! Although it is paperback, and hard for these eyes to read, I am going to try to read that copy and not check one out from the library. So, that said...I am all set for April!

message 12: by Dustin Crazy little brown owl, Colorful Colorado (new) - rated it 5 stars

Good Luck - it's a long one! I also own a copy, mine's hardcover so it's got bigger print than the paperback.

Jaice Cooperrider (plasborgma) | 1299 comments Carol wrote: "... I received two plastic grocery bags full of paperbacks and a few hardbounds Saturday, and much to my surprise and delight, From The Corner Of His Eye was included! Although it is paperback, and hard for these eyes to read, I am going to try to read that copy and not check one out from the library. So, that said...I am all set for April!"

I'm glad to hear you'll be joining us, Carol. :-)

message 14: by Dustin Crazy little brown owl, Colorful Colorado (new) - rated it 5 stars

FROM THE CORNER OF HIS EYE IS AWESOME!
(and least that's how I remember it :-)

Mike (the Paladin) (thepaladin) | 207 comments I've read or listened to (when my wife got very ill actual "reading" became almost impossible for her so she got heavily into audio books. I often listened to them also). several times...and I plan to go through it again just because I like it. In my opinion one of his best.

message 16: by Carol (last edited Mar 25, 2010 07:16AM) (new) - added it

Carol Neman | 118 comments Thank you, Mike and Dustpan, that's very encouraging. I have to admit, I skimmed through almost the whole third quarter of Lightning, and picked up the thread again just before Stefan gives the explanation of how and why the whole thing started. He was also talking about a conversation with Hitler, and apparently he also talked to Winston Churchill, but I didn't read any of that...however what I did read satisfied me for this time, and I will probably go back at some future time and finish the rest of the book. Wow, that phrase sounded eerie in my head when I thought it, like deja vu or something. So it's encouraging for me to think that the next one to be read might be a little more interesting.

Jaice Cooperrider (plasborgma) | 1299 comments Carol wrote: "...So it's encouraging for me to think that the next one to be read might be a little more interesting."

Much more, IMO.

message 18: by Carol (new) - added it

Carol Neman | 118 comments Well, if 'the Plas' says so, it must be so. LOL

Jaice Cooperrider (plasborgma) | 1299 comments Carol wrote: "Well, if 'the Plas' says so, it must be so. LOL"

:-D

message 20: by Dustin Crazy little brown owl, Colorful Colorado (new) - rated it 5 stars

Carol wrote: "Thank you, Mike and Dustpan, that's very encouraging."

I haven't been called "Dustpan" (a nickname I created for myself :-) since High School. Thanks for helping me feel young!

Carol, I responded to your comment about Lightning in the Lightning thread :-)

Maciek | 666 comments So far all the books chosen for group reads disappointed me in one way or another. Hope this one will be better.

message 22: by Dustin Crazy little brown owl, Colorful Colorado (new) - rated it 5 stars

Maciek wrote: "So far all the books chosen for group reads disappointed me in one way or another. Hope this one will be better."

Goodness,I hope so too!

message 23: by Matt R. (new)

Matt R. (matt2009) | 202 comments I need to get a copy...looks good for April!

message 24: by Dustin Crazy little brown owl, Colorful Colorado (new) - rated it 5 stars

I think this is Dean's longest book, so y'all might want to get started ASAP. There are only 30 days in April!

message 25: by Dustin Crazy little brown owl, Colorful Colorado (new) - rated it 5 stars

Okay, I was wrong. FROM THE CORNER OF HIS EYE is Dean's SECOND longest book. FALSE MEMORY is the longest. ONE DOOR AWAY FROM HEAVEN comes in third.

message 26: by Dustin Crazy little brown owl, Colorful Colorado (new) - rated it 5 stars

Here are the 6 lengthiest books to date written by DEAN KOONTZ (page numbers are based on GR data):

1.FALSE MEMORY - 784 pages
2.FROM THE CORNER OF HIS EYE - 768 pages
3.ONE DOOR AWAY FROM HEAVEN - 720 pages
4.STRANGERS - 704 pages
5.THE FACE - 688 pages
6.DARK RIVERS OF THE HEART - 592 pages

message 27: by Dustin Crazy little brown owl, Colorful Colorado (new) - rated it 5 stars

"From the Corner of His Eye took a week short of a year to write, and by the middle of 2001, I was deep into another novel that proved no less complex and would wind up being nearly as long, One Door Away From Heaven."
-Dean Koontz, A Big Little Life: A Memoir of a Joyful Dog

message 28: by Dustin Crazy little brown owl, Colorful Colorado (new) - rated it 5 stars

"The first book I wrote while Trixie was with us, False Memory, turned out to be the longest book I had written to date, but tighter than the other two afforementioned works (Strangers, Dark Rivers of the Heart)."
-Dean Koontz,A Big Little Life: A Memoir of a Joyful Dog

Jaice Cooperrider (plasborgma) | 1299 comments That's some good evidence to support your claim, Dustin, I'm impressed. :-) I just assumed Strangers was longest, because it is broken into 4 files on Audible.com, whereas False Memory and From the Corner of His Eye are broken into only 3 files each.

Maciek | 666 comments Dustin wrote: "
2.FROM THE CORNER OF HIS EYE - 768 pages

Hmmm...we must have different editions. My copy clocks in at 820 pages.
I've read the first 18 chapters and like it so far.

Jaice Cooperrider (plasborgma) | 1299 comments Maciek wrote: "I've read the first 18 chapters and like it so far."

Yay! Isn't Junior fascinating?

message 32: by Dustin Crazy little brown owl, Colorful Colorado (last edited Apr 04, 2010 01:14PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

There are several different editions of Dean Koontz books. My copy of FROM THE CORNER OF HIS EYE (Hardcover, published December 2000) is only 622 pages. The Hardcover of STRANGERS that I read was 630 pages :-)

message 33: by Maciek (last edited Mar 30, 2010 04:49AM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Maciek | 666 comments Jason "plasborgma" wrote: "Maciek wrote: "I've read the first 18 chapters and like it so far."

Yay! Isn't Junior fascinating?"

So far he seems like a comic relief character.
Reading about Barty, the child prodigy made me think that he's eerily reminiscent of Einstein, the dog prodigy. Which offers only two paths: either the book will be amazing or will flop horribly.

Mike (the Paladin) (thepaladin) | 207 comments Com'on how can anyone not be charmed by a "waif" be it a dog or boy?:) It doesn't follow exactly that formula. I like Junior, he is sort of a serio/comic character, but I think he's one of the better villains.

message 35: by Maciek (last edited Apr 02, 2010 04:52AM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Maciek | 666 comments I gave this one star. The fate of Junior Cain is enough to be the sole reason, but many other things in it irritated the hell out of me.
So I was right - it's a horrible flop.

Elena Maciek wrote: "I gave this one star. The fate of Junior Cain is enough to be the sole reason, but many other things in it irritated the hell out of me.
So I was right - it's a horrible flop."

Oh! I plan to start it today. Hopefully I won't be that disappointed. I haven't liked a Koontz book in years. I think this will be my last try.

message 37: by Maciek (last edited Apr 02, 2010 05:52AM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Maciek | 666 comments It's pretty long (my copy is over 800 pages) so you might want to reconsider that decision. However, lots of members like that book...

He's a great author, and it amazes me how bad some of his books are.

message 38: by Dustin Crazy little brown owl, Colorful Colorado (last edited Apr 02, 2010 07:45AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Read it Elena! I'm waiting for an audiobook on CD to become available from my library to help me get through this. It is very long but I think it's one Koontz's best. I can't believe Maciek would only give this one star! ONE STAR? I'm glad to be re-reading this. I might not give it 5 stars - we'll see, but this is not one star material in my opinion. I'll be back Elena :-) don't let Maciek talk you out of trying this book but if you do have a way to listen to audiobook, it might be helpful.

Elena Oh, I am reading it. I am 10% into the book (kindle edition). It is good so far, I think I am going to like it. Feels like the old Koontz to me :)

message 40: by Dustin Crazy little brown owl, Colorful Colorado (new) - rated it 5 stars

Good! Good! Good! I'll catch up to you sometime :-)

Maciek | 666 comments Lol I don't want to talk anyone out of reading anything. Still it's an one star for me because of many reasons I mentioned in my review.

message 42: by Mike (the Paladin) (last edited Apr 02, 2010 10:50AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mike (the Paladin) (thepaladin) | 207 comments Obviously you know I disagree with you Maciek, when I get a moment I'll check your review...but I suppose we'll have to go with a "to each his own" here. I will be rereading this but I recall enjoying it quite a bit.

Maciek | 666 comments Exactly. If you like it then good for you :) You have another favorite book.
I'll be following this thread to see what people liked in this novel.

Mike (the Paladin) (thepaladin) | 207 comments I plan to start it this evening or possibly as late as
after the "weekend". There are several church services through Sunday...a bit busy and I still have at least one book to finish before it comes due at the library.

message 45: by Carol (new) - added it

Carol Neman | 118 comments Hey Mike, did you get all moved yet?

Mike (the Paladin) (thepaladin) | 207 comments The technical answer is yes....but of course I still have a large number of packed boxes, and a lot of things simply stuffed into shelves and not organized at all. We can't get around in the kitchen yet...still too cluttered. We have moved from cheese and crackers to frozen diners and breakfast muffins from the microwave. That's big step up...I drink a lot of V8 to get some vegetables. LOL.

Mike (the Paladin) (thepaladin) | 207 comments Okay, I've started it...and being careful not to include any spoilers... I don't find the character of Jr. so "annoying" (somewhat repulsive, a little frightening possibly as there are likely people walking the earth who approach this, but as a book character not annoying) I actually find Junior one of the more creep/interesting villains Koontz has written, as he discovers all the "wonderful" hidden parts of himself.

I do find, at least at first that Agnes does annoy me, greatly at times, at least in the beginning of the book. Actually the way Koontz wrote Naomi (for the short time she was in the book) with her "cutesy" conversation was a little annoying. Still the story, the book is overall a good one. I suppose there are several parts of Mr. Koontz's characters that tend to show up in different books. I mean after a while, "cute" can go just a little too far.

Maciek | 666 comments His characterization is simplistic - the good guys are extremely good and the bad guys are extremely bad. That's one of the factors that bother me in his writings.

Mike (the Paladin) (thepaladin) | 207 comments That in itself doesn't bother me, often it's what he shoots for. Moss Hart was once supposed to have said that there's nothing wrong with melodrama as long as it's good melodrama. I feel the same way about a character built as an ideal. So long as it's what you're shooting for and it fits your story it's not a problem...being true to your character so to speak. King's characters are mostly as predictable, but just the opposite. he seems "almost" unable to write an "unsullied" hero (so to speak) The only exceptions I can come up with might be a couple in the Stand and even there it's not really the case.

I think (as we noted before) this s largely a matter of taste.

There are some exceptions here, though if I go too much into it it might lead to some spoilers. The Thomas Vanadium character, were Junior Cain not guilty in the reader's mind (in other words we never have any doubt about Junior's actions) Vanadium's actions would be highly "questionable". I often find it hard not to be a little "creeped" with what he gets away with. (We as readers I suppose are supposed to "give his actions a pass" because we know he's "correct".)

Maciek | 666 comments Mike wrote: "That in itself doesn't bother me, often it's what he shoots for. Moss Hart was once supposed to have said that there's nothing wrong with melodrama as long as it's good melodrama. "

Well, It isn't in Koontz's case...I'm slowly getting tired about reading ideal guys battling extremely evil villains.

Mike wrote: "So long as it's what you're shooting for and it fits your story it's not a problem...being true to your character so to speak. King's characters are mostly as predictable, but just the opposite. he seems "almost" unable to write an "unsullied" hero

See, the "unsulied" part makes them human. No one is ideal (but that should be obvious). Reading about ideal characters makes readers frustrated because they can't connect to them and feel for them (check out the negative reviews of Koontz books - many of the readers consider this a problem).

« previous 1 3 4