Harlequin Presents Readers discussion

Themes > Un-PC Harlequin recommendations

Comments Showing 1-50 of 138 (138 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Trina (new)

Trina (kfs25) | 12 comments Hello- any recommendations for un-PC Harlequin romances (can be from any year, new or vintage)? Thank you!

message 2: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Winter Frost Queen) , Harlequin Presents are my crack! (new)

Danielle The Book Huntress (Winter Frost Queen)  (gatadelafuente) | 2280 comments Mod
Here are a few:

Shattered Dreams by Sally Wentworth
Dark Dominion by Charlotte Lamb
By Love Bewitched by Violet Winspear
The Innocent's Surrender by Sara Craven

message 3: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Winter Frost Queen) , Harlequin Presents are my crack! (new)

Danielle The Book Huntress (Winter Frost Queen)  (gatadelafuente) | 2280 comments Mod
Dark Summer Dawn by Sara Craven

message 4: by Trina (new)

Trina (kfs25) | 12 comments Danielle- thank you so much, I'm putting my order through!

message 5: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Winter Frost Queen) , Harlequin Presents are my crack! (new)

You're welcome. Here is another one: Devil Lover by Carole Mortimer.

Wendy,  Lady Evelyn Quince (ladyevelynquince) | 36 comments Hi Trina. I love those un PC Presents heroes. Of course you can't go wrong with the books of the 70's and 80's like Charlotte Lamb's Seduction or Anne Hampson's A Man to be Feared . And there's also Robyn Donald's Dark Fire and Miranda Lee's Hearts of Fire series, especially Scandals And Secrets and Seduction & Sacrifice

message 7: by willaful (new)

willaful | 344 comments I think I have Dark Fire and there's another one, I think also by Donald... I'm too exhausted to get up and look for it in the other room. But the heroine goes to visit the home of a guy she likes and falls for his brother, who is totally nasty to her and sends her home miserable. On the plane she meets a nice man who's dying and marries him; she and the nasty guy meet again after she's widowed. I don't know why I like this one so much, he is just so horrible all the way through it, but somehow it grabs me. :-)

message 8: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Winter Frost Queen) , Harlequin Presents are my crack! (new)

I hope you girls realize that every time you list a salacious HP title, I have to run and see if I can find a copy. :)

message 9: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Winter Frost Queen) , Harlequin Presents are my crack! (new)

I have the same problem with some of these HPs with cruel heroes, Willaful. They are just so intense. I can't walk away.

message 10: by willaful (new)

willaful | 344 comments It's A Durable Fire by Donald.

message 11: by Angie (new)

Angie (angier) | 5 comments Hi -- new member here. So happy to be among fellow HP readers! Here are my un-PC recommendations:

Night Music
Love Unspoken
The Devil's Price
The Devil's Mistress

message 12: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Winter Frost Queen) , Harlequin Presents are my crack! (new)

Welcome, Angie (running off to look up those books). :)

Wendy,  Lady Evelyn Quince (ladyevelynquince) | 36 comments Yes, Robyn Donald had some of the nastiest heroes...but the way she wrote them was so captivating. Another good one was The Colour of Midnight.

Wendy,  Lady Evelyn Quince (ladyevelynquince) | 36 comments Hello, Angie. I'm a new member myself. Thanks for the recs. I'll look for them in my collection, as the titles don't sound familiar. But then you know about those HP titles... ;-)

message 15: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Winter Frost Queen) , Harlequin Presents are my crack! (new)

I love The Colour of Midnight. Do you like The Stone Princess? That one really gets me emotionally, although I've read books I love more. I had to get a copy for my collection.

message 16: by Angie (new)

Angie (angier) | 5 comments Hi -- sorry about not including the authors in my previous post! Here they are:

Night Music by Charlotte Lamb
Love Unspoken by Carole Mortimer
The Devil's Price by Carole Mortimer
The Devil's Mistress by Sarah Holland

I'm pretty sure that all of these were published in the 1980s; so, yeah - not PC at all!

message 17: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Winter Frost Queen) , Harlequin Presents are my crack! (new)

It's fine with me, Angie. I looked them all up to get copies. Thanks for the suggestions.

message 18: by Trina (new)

Trina (kfs25) | 12 comments Oooohh, fellow readers, thank you thank you thank you. What fun! You just made my whole night - I'm off now to check on these titles!

message 19: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Winter Frost Queen) , Harlequin Presents are my crack! (new)

YW! I got some good ones, too.

message 20: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Winter Frost Queen) , Harlequin Presents are my crack! (new)

I read The Dominant Male by Sarah Holland last night. It's sort of un-PC with the sexist hero and his super-dominant personality. It has some allusions to BDSM that kind of surprised me, since it's from 1988.

message 21: by Verity (new)

Verity | 567 comments Fab review, D ! I've only read 1 SH so far & it has a cruel dominant hero (the 1 I sent U).

message 22: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Winter Frost Queen) , Harlequin Presents are my crack! (new)

Thanks, V. I'm looking forward to reading Deadly Angel. You might like The Dominant Male.

message 23: by Trina (new)

Trina (kfs25) | 12 comments Lady Danielle "The Book Huntress" wrote: "I read The Dominant Male by Sarah Holland last night. It's sort of un-PC with the sexist hero and his super-dominant personality. It has some allusions to BDSM that kind of surprised..."

Danielle, thank you! Just added it to my wish list.

message 24: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Winter Frost Queen) , Harlequin Presents are my crack! (new)

You're welcome, Trina.

message 25: by Verity (new)

Verity | 567 comments Robyn Donald :
- The guarded heart
- Return to yesterday

are the epitome of nitemarish heroes & not in a good way. I always felt verra sorry for the poor trapped heroines in the end that instead of running to the other end, they end up falling for the nasty heroes.

message 26: by Jena (aka Tina) (new)

Jena (aka Tina) (jenagena) | 5 comments Thank you so much for all the suggestions. :)

message 27: by Janice (new)

Janice | 37 comments While looking in the kindle store, I saw that A Reason For Marriageis available for the kindle. I see that this book was originally published in January, 1988. Is the kindle edition the same as the original, or is it a rewrite? Would appreciate it if anyone can tell me, before I order the kindle edition. Thanks.

message 28: by willaful (new)

willaful | 344 comments I don't know for sure, but I don't see any reason to think it might be a rewrite.

message 29: by Informantxgirl (new)

Informantxgirl | 3 comments Can I ask for some more suggestions? I'd like more recent HPs (like 2006 onwards) since those are the ones my bookstore stocks - it's really hard for me to get older books, since I live in Bangkok and the shipping fees on Amazon make it kinda prohibitive for me to order from there. I just bought Sara Craven's "Innocent's Surrender" and I loved "The Forced Bride" and "Marriage at a Distance" from her. Sort of looking for more books along those lines - forced seduction, captivity, blurring the lines of consent - basically, un-PC. :D

Only modern.

Thanks and love this thread, BTW.

message 30: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Winter Frost Queen) , Harlequin Presents are my crack! (new)

Sugarnatural, I'll keep my eye out for some of the newer un-PC reads for you.

message 31: by Janice (new)

Janice | 37 comments I read on the Harlequin site that they are starting to release the older HPs available in ebook format. I believe they release a certain number each month. That will be great to get some of the un-PC older books on Kindle. I don't know how far back they can go though.

message 32: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Winter Frost Queen) , Harlequin Presents are my crack! (new)

I was thinking that you might like His Virgin Acquisition. I think it's a bit un-PC in how chauvinistic the hero is.

message 33: by Janice (new)

Janice | 37 comments Lady Danielle "The Book Huntress" wrote: "I was thinking that you might like His Virgin Acquisition. I think it's a bit un-PC in how chauvinistic the hero is."

This books sounds good. I've just ordered it for my Kindle.

message 34: by Jacqueline J (new)

Jacqueline J | 260 comments Sugarnatural wrote: "Can I ask for some more suggestions? I'd like more recent HPs (like 2006 onwards) since those are the ones my bookstore stocks - it's really hard for me to get older books, since I live in Bangkok ..."

Sugarnatural, I went to the library and got some of the Sara Cravens you suggested. Let's see how unPC they are! :-)

message 35: by [deleted user] (new)

Hello. I'm new to this group... sorta. I've been lurking around for a few days. This is a very good thread!!! Just the thing for me. Dang my wish list is getting out of control. Thanks tho...

message 36: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Winter Frost Queen) , Harlequin Presents are my crack! (new)

Welcome, Jenny!

message 37: by Leanne (new)

Leanne Hi all - I'm delurking to thank you for some great recs (I lurve Craven and Donald!) and to give you one of my own. Has anyone read any Abra Taylor? She wrote for Harlequin in the eighties. I think River of Desire and End of Innocence are un-PC enough to be added to the thread ;-P The books are hard to find but worth the effort, I think.

message 38: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Winter Frost Queen) , Harlequin Presents are my crack! (new)

HI Leanne! Thanks for the recommendation. Her name sounds familiar. It's possible I did read her, because I read every HP I could get my hands on growing up.

message 39: by Verity (new)

Verity | 567 comments Anne Mather = Melting fire
Violet Winspear = The man she married

Charlotte Lamb :
- The long surrender
- Betrayal
- Savage surrender

message 40: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Winter Frost Queen) , Harlequin Presents are my crack! (new)

Ha ha, I have most of those, V! What does that say about my tastes? :)

message 41: by Verity (last edited Feb 17, 2011 11:13PM) (new)

Verity | 567 comments LOL... great minds think alike. Just read anotha Un-PC CL - Seduction. Hero's ex-GF helps him kidnap heroine for 1 week & rape / forced seduction ensues. Heroine leaves him & stalkerazzi hero follows her around, ex-GF sets 'em up again. CL is da queen of un-PC.

message 42: by Leanne (new)

Leanne And I'm relieved there are still plenty of these wicked old school HP's that I haven't read...
..must find more Lamb!

message 43: by Slaveforomance (new)

Slaveforomance | 68 comments Anne Mather, Charlotte Lamb, Penny Jordan -- they were the queen bees of PC. Sometimes, I wonder if they deliberately tried to test MB/HP to see what they could get away with.

message 44: by Lemon (last edited Feb 19, 2011 10:59AM) (new)

Lemon | 801 comments Mod
Generally speaking, anything by Sara Craven and Jacqueline Baird.

message 45: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Winter Frost Queen) , Harlequin Presents are my crack! (new)

I wonder if I have that one, V. I'll have to check!

message 46: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Winter Frost Queen) , Harlequin Presents are my crack! (new)

Lyraa, check out my revenge shelf:

http://www.goodreads.com/review/list/...

message 47: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Winter Frost Queen) , Harlequin Presents are my crack! (new)

You're welcome, Lyraa.

message 48: by Lemon (last edited Mar 26, 2011 03:35PM) (new)

Lemon | 801 comments Mod
You should check out the latest book by Sara Craven: The Highest Stakes of All. I don't think it is out yet in the US market but as far as un-pc novels go, this one will surely not disappoint.

****SPOILER BELOW*****

[Don't want to give away the story, but as part of a revenge plot, hero wins the heroine in a poker match, kidnaps her, forces her to sleep with him against her will when she is a virgin and is a complete and utter jerk with absolutely no redeeming qualities. For some bizarre reason, it is set in 1975.]

LuvBug (*Formerly Luvgirl)  | 4 comments I'm not sure if this one has been mentioned yet, but check out this book for an extremely un-pc hero. This is one of those so bad it's good books.The Playboy Sheikh's Virgin Stable-Girl (The Royal House of Karedes, #2)

message 50: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Winter Frost Queen) , Harlequin Presents are my crack! (new)

I haven't worked up the courage to read it yet, LuvGirl. :)

« previous 1 3