5th Period 09-10 discussion

What is your all-time favorite book? Why?

Comments Showing 1-37 of 37 (37 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Vanessa (new)

Vanessa (delfie) | 5 comments Mod
Little Bunny Follows His Nose was the book my mom used to read to me often when I was a little kid. It encouraged Bunny to get out of his house and explore his own backyard. On his travels he found adventure and good friends. I think of this book often and I am sure it helped to foster my own sense of adventure as an adult and my passion for playing outside. I even bought a new copy for my future children to enjoy. The scratch and sniff stickers on my original were quite worn through. Little Bunny Follows His Nose (Golden Scratch & Sniff Books) by Katherine Howard

message 2: by Raven (new)

Raven Winfrey (ravenwinfrey) | 5 comments My all time favorite book is true to the game 1, 2, and 3. Their my favorite books because it always keeps me intrested. No matter what was going on in the book, i enjoyed reading it. It also taught me something about life, and thats to never to fully trust anyone. They could be your bestfriend but they will turn on you within the quickness.

message 3: by Kristen (new)

Kristen | 4 comments I've read alot of books but out of the bunch that I have read so far they have mainly been by Sarah Dessen. One that I've recently read that caught my attention was Sandpiper by Eleen Wittingler. This story is about a teens struggles, and what happens when you've lied so much that no one believes you to a certain extent.

message 4: by Alex (new)

Alex Martinez | 3 comments Harry Potter Series. These books are classics and I don't know many people who haven't read these books. But I know many people that enjoyed reading them. I could honestly say these books got me interested in reading. I realized that not just because a book is long then that means it's difficult or boring. All-Favorite book because it has humor, fantasy, and it is just a good book to read. I recommend this book to anyone who hasn't read it.

message 5: by Kristen (new)

Kristen | 4 comments Vanessa wrote: "Little Bunny Follows His Nose was the book my mom used to read to me often when I was a little kid. It encouraged Bunny to get out of his house and explore his own backyard. On his travels he found..."

Is this a stroy you will read to your kids too? A series of books about "Little Bunny's". Does the bunny portray something larger then it really is. What brings you into a story? The plot, scene, theme, etc. I thought little kids would enjoy short stories with large pictures and clean cut colors. Or maybe thats just my opinion.

message 6: by Alexandra (new)

Alexandra Nieves | 3 comments Raven wrote: "My all time favorite book is true to the game 1, 2, and 3. Their my favorite books because it always keeps me intrested. No matter what was going on in the book, i enjoyed reading it. It also taugh..."

Raven, that is actually really good that you've read all three of the "True To The Game" books that way you know what goes on in the series and you fully understand instead of wondering around what happenes next. And yes girl dont trust noone but yourself, sometimes you feel you can trust people but in the end your like "dang I should have had never told them that." That's why you got to keep to yourself in the long run none of these people are going to be here; stay up girl one love!

message 7: by Bria (new)

Bria Dean | 4 comments My favorite book is Death Be Not Proud because it was a great book to read. It gives readers a message and it's really sad to be honest. I think people would like this book.

message 8: by Alexandra (new)

Alexandra Nieves | 3 comments As of right now my all time favorite book is "Flyy Girl" by Omar Tyree. This book is about a young girl that lives in the fast lane, i've always said living your life in the fast lane will put a fast end to your life. This young girl is sexually active at the age of thirteen and also begins to do drugs. She does this because her sister also does it and her sister is her mentor so she follows what she sees. She than realizes what she's doing and changes her life around. It's so realistic and you see that going on in our community today. I recommend this book to students that follow others that dont make the right choices but still think it's right to follow that person.

message 9: by Alex (new)

Alex Martinez | 3 comments Vanessa wrote: "Little Bunny Follows His Nose was the book my mom used to read to me often when I was a little kid. It encouraged Bunny to get out of his house and explore his own backyard. On his travels he found..."

We all have that one book we wanted our parents to read over and over again. And that book never got boring and in every suspenseful part we would always pretend to not expect that surprise. Or in the funny parts we would laugh. Green Eggs and Ham is the book I always had my dad read to me. And then when I was 4 I read it on my own and I would always read it. It was good practice and it was the first book I read. I wouldn't be surprised if this book was made into a movie one day. Millions of kids would say the same thing and millions would say that this is the first book that they read.

message 10: by Bria (new)

Bria Dean | 4 comments Bria wrote: "My favorite book is Death Be Not Proud because it was a great book to read. It gives readers a message and it's really sad to be honest. I think people would like this book."

Alex has great thoughts on the Harry Potter book series, but I would not read it. I'm not into the books that much as the movies.

message 11: by Ashnit (last edited Mar 15, 2010 12:37PM) (new)

Ashnit Sharma | 2 comments The first Harry Potter book. It just brings back memories when i read it long ago. It was also a very good book, and way differnt from the movie. It took about 1 month to read because it had 400 something pages

message 12: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (chellybelly) | 3 comments My all time favorite book is Cirque Du Freak, becuase it was one of the first series i started reading and I'm always enthraled in the book. It never seems to bore me to death. <-- haha death, its about vampires.

message 13: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie Martin  | 3 comments My faviorate book of all time would have to be "a child called it" This book is so amazing but it is a sad book, because it actually happened, his mom really did all those things to him, and it makes you think that oh my goodness some people actually do that. I would recommend everyone to read it, becasue it is such a great book. I could read that book all the time.

message 14: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (chellybelly) | 3 comments Alex is all up in that Harry Potter, his discirption of why its his favorite book is amazing.

message 15: by Cari (new)

Cari Tom (LilDino) | 2 comments My favorite book of all time would have to be "the Truth About Forever" by Sarah Dessen. It's simply a classic teenage love story but the depth of the feelings dessen prortrays through each characted just makes it absolutely mesmorizing.

message 16: by naiomi (new)

naiomi (NaiomiLathell) | 2 comments My all time favorite book that i hae ever read in my whole entire lifetime would be this book titled True to the game the series. Each book had me glued to the pages each and everytime i read all 3 of the books. The story line is relatable and thought i am not married to a Large Gang Drug Dealer, i can stick myself directly into this book and it's soooo good.

message 17: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie Martin  | 3 comments Raven wrote: "My all time favorite book is true to the game 1, 2, and 3. Their my favorite books because it always keeps me intrested. No matter what was going on in the book, i enjoyed reading it. It also taugh..."

What you learned from this book is so true! yes girl, you could have a friend one minuate and the next they just arnt. thats a cold peice, i learned that alogn time ago, i learned that people are super fake sometimes. you can trust someone with everything and tehn they turn around and arefake towarsds you.. ya no.

message 18: by Kristen (new)

Kristen | 4 comments Alexandra wrote: "As of right now my all time favorite book is "Flyy Girl" by Omar Tyree. This book is about a young girl that lives in the fast lane, i've always said living your life in the fast lane will put a fa..."

I agree with your opinion and view on your society today. Many people, especially ones in our age group can relate to this. We have evolved over the years getting to comfortable with certain things that can affect us in a bad way later on. Everyone has entered into a world that teens think it is okay to smoke, do drugs, and have sex. Which isn't right. So I think we should just be good remodels for the teens out there. Keep doing what you do Alexandraaa! Thuglife<3

message 19: by naiomi (new)

naiomi (NaiomiLathell) | 2 comments Raven wrote: "My all time favorite book is true to the game 1, 2, and 3. Their my favorite books because it always keeps me intrested. No matter what was going on in the book, i enjoyed reading it. It also taugh..."

I have also read these three books and i can definatly agree that i ejoyed reading these books to. They are the BOMB! If you like those books you should try reading The Coldest Winter Ever. Its on the same genre as True to the game but it i more focused on a girl as the main character instead of men.

message 20: by Raven (new)

Raven Winfrey (ravenwinfrey) | 5 comments Naiomi wrote: "My all time favorite book that i hae ever read in my whole entire lifetime would be this book titled True to the game the series. Each book had me glued to the pages each and everytime i read all 3..."

I definitely can agree with you girl. It also gives you a better out look on life and how much it actually means to a person.

message 21: by Carlos(Paco) (last edited Mar 15, 2010 12:44PM) (new)

Carlos(Paco) Mora | 3 comments My all time favorite book is the holy bible, it has many books in One whole book, it has meaningful techings and quotes. By far the best book that has so many things to say about life, and what to expect out of life. I would never imagine my self reading this book. Then now that's all i read.

message 22: by Cari (new)

Cari Tom (LilDino) | 2 comments Kristen wrote: "I've read alot of books but out of the bunch that I have read so far they have mainly been by Sarah Dessen. One that I've recently read that caught my attention was Sandpiper by Eleen Wittingler. T..."

Sarah Dessen is like my all time favorite author. I havn't read any of Eleen Wittingler's publishings but i might consider it. :)

message 23: by Vanessa (new)

Vanessa (delfie) | 5 comments Mod
Alex wrote: "Harry Potter Series. These books are classics and I don't know many people who haven't read these books. But I know many people that enjoyed reading them. I could honestly say these books got me in..."

I was in college when the height of the Harry Potter phenomenom was sweeping the world. I have never been a big fantasy reader and so I easily allowed the wave to ride right over me. A good friend of mine however was one to pre-order each installment and pay extra for the midnight Amazon.com delivery so I was well aware of the literary effects on the world. For that, JK Rowling deserves her props. It wasn't until I was teaching and students "assigned" me to read the first book that I undertook the challenge. I have since rated it 1 star for being predictable. It just wasn't a personal favorite, but I respect any series that motivates young and old alike to read.

message 24: by Raven (new)

Raven Winfrey (ravenwinfrey) | 5 comments Stephanie wrote: "My faviorate book of all time would have to be "a child called it" This book is so amazing but it is a sad book, because it actually happened, his mom really did all those things to him, and it mak..."

what exactly did his mother do to him? it sounds like a pretty good book. i think i just might have to read that book. (:

message 25: by Carlos(Paco) (new)

Carlos(Paco) Mora | 3 comments Michelle wrote: "Alex is all up in that Harry Potter, his discirption of why its his favorite book is amazing."

Yea that book was cool. When they are in the school. i wish i was at that school

message 26: by Diego (new)

Diego Guzmán | 2 comments my favorite book is holes because is the only book i have ever finished reading...

message 27: by Kevin (new)

Kevin Villaluz | 3 comments my favoirte book was jarhead because it was about the life of a marine and how he face his inner demons and how he lived with thinking there were gonna be there for a few weeks but turned into months and being a scout sniper but their just in the desert all that training and not using it. also the book was turned into a movie but did not show at least have of the things in the book

message 28: by Shanae (new)

Shanae Thomas | 1 comments my favorite ALL TYME BOOK is ADDICTED...I MEEN IM SOOO HATEN OFF THE GURLS RELATIONSHIP WIT HER BOYFREND WHICH SHE HAD A CRUSH ON SINCE SHE WAS LITTLE AND HE MOVED ACROSS THE STREET FROM HER...THIS BOOK ISNT ALL about "you know wat" but its a book of love nd passion..their relationship n this book is genuine...and i luv that about this book...dats y its my favorite...(nae nae)

message 29: by Mahad (new)

Mahad | 1 comments I havent found my all time favorite book but if i was to choose at this point of time in my life i would have to say harry potter 4. It had a great story and took me in to the books world.

message 30: by ANONYMOUS (new)

ANONYMOUS (IROC) | 1 comments My Favorite books have to be either: My Brother Sam is Dead, or Dante's Inferno.

message 31: by Kevin (new)

Kevin Villaluz | 3 comments My favorite book of all time was Jarhead by anthony swafford because his stories abou his experience was interesting also, there was a movie but it didnt do the book justice because it had way more detail. stories about the philippines and also they switched names around in the movie. i liked this book because i wanted to join the military and hearing about other peoples experiences are fun and cool to read or see.

message 32: by Diego (new)

Diego Guzmán | 2 comments My all time favorite book is THE RANSOM OF MERCY CARTER because is the book im currently reading...

message 33: by Ashnit (new)

Ashnit Sharma | 2 comments My favorite book was To wake the dead. It was a pretty nasty book, so much gore in that 450 page book. i didnt get to finish the last chapter because i had to give it back to the teacher.

message 34: by Jomhar (new)

Jomhar Aquino | 1 comments My favorite book of all times is Holes because it has every genres that i enjoy. Such as drama and comedy, the story fit the situation with teenagers nowadays.

message 35: by Kristen (last edited Apr 21, 2010 01:58PM) (new)

Kristen | 4 comments My all time favorite book that I have read so far is speak. Over four hundred pages, and is about a girl who struggles with her teen life and her moms marriage with a new guy. Her real dad has never really excepted to her since she went through puberty and grew "boobs". She didn't know how to treat or respect herself. She treated her body like trash, and exposed herself to boys. Mostly through oral sex. Until one day one of the guys she used to "mess with" raped her, and her virginity was taken from her. She was scarred even worse then before. After the rape attack she learns how to get back up, fight back, and use her voice. I recommend this book to anyone who usually doesnt't like to read but is into the whole "teen scene".

message 36: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (chellybelly) | 3 comments My favorite book of all time is Charolets web. Thats the first book ive ever really cried about. so it was very memoriable.

message 37: by Bria (new)

Bria Dean | 4 comments My favorite book is Death Be Not Proud because it gives an empowering message and it definitely blows me away when the boy in the story died from brain tumor. To stay strong and be positve through the experience it takes a lot when going through this situation. It's depressing