A History of Royals discussion

Royalty In Film > France: Marie Antoinette (2006)

Comments Showing 1-24 of 24 (24 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jennifer, Group Founder/Mod #1 (new)

Jennifer (jennifertudor) | 726 comments Mod
Anyone seen and want to discuss?

message 2: by Colleen, The Enforcer/Mod #2 (new)

Colleen (nightoleander) | 345 comments Mod
Heehee, Jennifer was so busy with real life she forgot to post which Marie Antoinette move and a synopsis! ;) So here you go, courtesy netflix, everybody:

"Sofia Coppola directs a stylized portrait of Marie Antoinette (Kirsten Dunst), the naive Austrian princess who married Louis XVI (Jason Schwartzman) to become queen of France at age 19. The film explores the effects of a luxurious yet terribly confining lifestyle on the young queen. Her resulting youthful indiscretion and frivolity ultimately led to her undoing. A Cannes Golden Palm nominee, this biopic also took Oscar honors for costume design."

message 3: by Colleen, The Enforcer/Mod #2 (new)

I really can't stand Kirsten Dunst, she puts a stink on every movie I have ever seen her in. I heard the costumes were really good so I watched it and I liked but didn't love it so basically 3 stars out of 5.

message 4: by Jennifer, Group Founder/Mod #1 (new)

Colleen wrote: "Heehee, Jennifer was so busy with real life she forgot to post which Marie Antoinette move and a synopsis! ;) So here you go, courtesy netflix, everybody:

"Sofia Coppola directs a stylized portr..."

Ooops... sorry everyone :) Colleen's right. I'm a little scattered-brained lately so bear with me. Yes, the KD version is the one that I was referring to.

message 5: by Jennifer, Group Founder/Mod #1 (new)

Alexandria wrote: "It got boring. Am not sure why."

I agree. Wasn't a great one for me either. Funny though Alexandria. The worst part for me was the ending so at least you missed that ;)

message 6: by Jayme (new)

Jayme Whitson (jlwhitson) | 6 comments The movie wasn't great--but I still watch it for the amazing costumes and colors. It's good eye candy--but the acting is meh.

message 7: by Colleen, The Enforcer/Mod #2 (new)

I know, re-writing history for hollywood glitz makes me insane!

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

I just watched this for the first time a few days ago and loved the costumes but didn't love the movie. And you know, I really can't figure it out either. I actually thought Kirsten Dunst was a good choice for Marie Antoinette but a lot of the other cast didn't really appeal to me. Also I thought it was odd how they would flip in and out of accents.

message 9: by Elise (new)

Elise (elisebeth) I thought Kirsten Dunst was going to be really good at playing Marie Antoinette but she just butchered the role. I couldn't believe her.

I really wish it was done better, that being said the costumes are lovely and the sceneary and generally how the movie was made was pretty good. It's the actors I didn't really like. They didn't suit their roles that well.

Michelle - the flipping in and out of accents bothered me through the entire movie as well.

message 10: by Colleen, The Enforcer/Mod #2 (new)

Elsie, IMO Kristen Dunst butchers a lot of her roles; I can't believe she even gets work in hollywood.

The accents in movies drive me batty if they aren't done right!

message 11: by Elise (new)

Elise (elisebeth) I agree. She does butcher a lot of her roles but I did think she would do well as Marie Antoinette. Got my hopes up.

I can't stand it when accents aren't done right.

message 12: by Sara (new)

Sara Giacalone | 1 comments Hi all,
I really wanted to like this movie and have watched it a couple times in the hopes that it would grow on me. But, alas, it did not. I agree that Kirsten Dunst did a terrible job overall, but I quite liked the costumes, sets and Jason Schwartzman as Louie XVI. What really got me, though, was the rock score. Although I like almost every song that was included, it didn't work for me in this movie.

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

I have watched this movie a few times. I agree that I liked the costumes in the movie, the scenery, the food and all that, but there wasnt really a story to it for me? If you know what I mean? No one really talked a lot, it was just like background talk in a way, I dont know what the movie was suppose to be like, but it was very strange. When the posters came out the first time to market the movie I thought it would be great, everything looked so great, but it wasnt at all.
I dont like Kirsten Dunst anymore, she's way to wimsical to play half the rolls she gets to play!

message 14: by Robin (last edited Aug 23, 2010 01:18AM) (new)

Robin (ukamerican) | 73 comments I'm so glad I'm not the only one who doesn't like Kirsten Dunst, lol. I also really disliked the whole modern-punk-rock flare they put on the movie. It wasn't just the music, it was also stuff like the mask she wore to the masquerade. I agree that for the most part, it was visually very good though.

message 15: by Alex (last edited Aug 23, 2010 07:14AM) (new)

Alex Yeah, I watched this a couple weeks ago, mainly for the sets. :) I also found it inexplicably boring. Bummer, 'cause I think Sofia Coppola is a really talented director.

I liked Dunst in Bring It On, which is a totally awesome movie; haven't liked her in anything else.

message 16: by Aly (new)

Aly (Alygator) | 174 comments I don't like how we always have to have a happy ending in movies. Why not show her whole story, why just the part when she was forced to Paris. (and isn't she smiling when her carriage pulls away from Versailles? It's been a really long time since I watched this.).

message 17: by Jenny (last edited Aug 23, 2010 02:45PM) (new)

Jenny (avery123) | 12 comments I thought I'd really HATE this movie, because I'm not a fan of Kirsten Dunst at all. I guess because my expectations were so low, I ended up not minding it so much. I don't think it's one I'd watch again though.

One thing that really bugged me though, was the choice in music. It really didn't fit at all.

message 18: by [deleted user] (new)

Jenny wrote: "I thought I'd really HATE this movie, because I'm not a fan of Kirsten Dunst at all. I guess because my expectations were so low, I ended up not minding it so much. I don't think it's one I'd watch..."

I think she was trying to be avant-garde or something.

message 19: by Manuel (new)

Manuel | 86 comments I had read the bad movie reviews and heard the movie was booed at the Cannes Film Festival, so I went into the theatre with low expectations.

I thought it was fascinating, it gave a glimpse into the pampered life of this overindulged woman. I didnt mind the rock score, I think it actually worked. I dont fault Kirsten Dunst's acting so much as Sofia Coppola's directing.

Yes we all left the theatre wanting to know more about her, we got a look at her lifestyle but we never got to know the person, which is a shame, because Marie Antoinette was not the silly airhead we saw in the movie.

(did anyone notice the modern tennis shoes in the shoe closet scene?)

message 20: by Colleen, The Enforcer/Mod #2 (new)

I agree with Jenny, I didn't mind the move but the score was a bad choice.

I am not a Kristen Dunst fan at all so I went into the movie with low expectations.

I did notice the tennis shoes Manuel, how ridiculous!

message 21: by Manuel (last edited Aug 26, 2010 11:20PM) (new)

Manuel | 86 comments I thought the tennis shoes were an odd choice.
As someone who loves history, Im always amused when I spot something that doesn't belong in the narrative. In this case Coppola placed them there on purpose.

I would have loved to see Marie Antoinette played as a real person and not so much a pretty girl in a series of pretty scenes.

When I left the theatre, I was one among a handful of men in the audience made up of mostly teenaged girls not much younger than Kristen Dunst. I think most people were underwhelmed. The sad part is I cant think of any other movie that shows a more complete picture of Marie Antoinette. There is the classic 30's film starring Norma Shearer but its more melodramatic soap opera than anything accurate.

message 22: by Colleen, The Enforcer/Mod #2 (new)

What is the Norma Shearer movie called? I would like to check that out.

message 23: by Manuel (new)

Manuel | 86 comments Its been years since I saw it.

Its called "Marie Antoinette" made in 1938. one of the most expensive movies made in the 30's.
Robert Morley played Louis XVI
Tyrone Power played Swedish Count Axel Fersen (supposedly Marie's lover)

Showed everything up to the beheading.

message 24: by Colleen, The Enforcer/Mod #2 (new)

Wow, sounds really interesting! I will have to hope that netflix has it.