A History of Royals discussion

Royalty In Film > England: Shakespeare in Love

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jennifer, Group Founder/Mod #1 (new)

Jennifer (jennifertudor) | 726 comments Mod
Although this one isn't strictly 'royalty' Judi Dench plays a wonderful Elizabeth I and the Elizabethan time period is richly portrayed throughout the movie. Or maybe I loved it because it's another Joseph Fiennes movie... I've got to work out my biases here :)

Opinions?

message 2: by Lyn (Readinghearts), The mod of last resort/Mod #3 (new)

Lyn (Readinghearts) (lsmeadows) | 1550 comments Mod
Is this the one with Gwenyth Paltrow in it? If it is, I went to see this one with my hubby. I really liked it, he didn't. He thought it was a bit "weird".

message 3: by Colleen, The Enforcer/Mod #2 (new)

Colleen (nightoleander) | 345 comments Mod
Synopsis from netflix:

"Young Shakespeare (Joseph Fiennes) is forced to stage his latest comedy, "Romeo and Ethel, the Pirate's Daughter," before it's even written. When a lovely noblewoman (Gwyneth Paltrow) auditions for a role, they fall into forbidden love -- and his play finds a new life (and title). As their relationship progresses, Shakespeare's comedy soon transforms into tragedy. This bittersweet romance won seven Oscars, including Best Picture and Best Actress."

message 4: by Jennifer, Group Founder/Mod #1 (new)

Lyn M wrote: "Is this the one with Gwenyth Paltrow in it? If it is, I went to see this one with my hubby. I really liked it, he didn't. He thought it was a bit "weird"."

What did he think was weird about it? :)

message 5: by Carla (new)

Carla Nayland | 36 comments This is one of my favourite films of all time. I love the witty, literate, intelligent script, the humour, the references to the plays, Judi Dench as Queen Elizabeth, all the secondary characters who are just as individual as the leads.... well, everything about it, really. Marvellous film.

message 6: by Jennifer, Group Founder/Mod #1 (new)

Well said Carla! That sums up exactly how I felt only in better words than I could come up with. lol

message 7: by Lyn (Readinghearts), The mod of last resort/Mod #3 (new)

Jennifer - For one thing, that a girl was playing a guy who was playing girls in plays. (How's that for a sentence). He is definitely not into all this "Medieval England" stuff (only he uses a different word. LOL. It was just one of those movies I should have gone with friends to see.

message 8: by Jennifer, Group Founder/Mod #1 (new)

Ah, yes. My husband didn't like it either. Not that he actually sat through the entire thing. He doesn't get my fascination... at all.

message 9: by Manuel (new)

Manuel | 86 comments Well, Im a guy and I really liked it.

A unique combination of comedy, history and Shakespeare.
Some wonderful dialogue and acting.

Judy Dench only had 8 minutes of screen time as Queen Elizabeth, but it was enough to get her a best supporting Oscar.

I imagine if you've never read Shakespeare this movie would be very confusing and dull.

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 227 comments I love this one.

My mother and I were the only ones in the theater when we saw it that "got" the joke about John Webster. We howled with laughter. The rest of the theater stared at us. It was pretty funny.

message 11: by Lyn (Readinghearts), The mod of last resort/Mod #3 (last edited Mar 18, 2010 11:14AM) (new)

I'm glad you enjoyed it, Manuel, and that there are guys that do. I'm sure that there are many guys who enjoyed it, just not my guy. My husband actually has gone with me to see Shakespeare, both in Ashland, OR and at the Berkeley festival in Ca. He sort of likes Shakespeare, but knows nothing of the background, so the whole girl/guy thing was really wierd for him.

message 12: by Carla (new)

Carla Nayland | 36 comments What's your favourite line, those of you who liked the film? I find it hard to choose, there are so many good ones.

I'll start:
Queen Elizabeth's line, "I know something of a woman in a man's profession. Yes, by God, I do know about that."

Viola (shocked): "This is a house of ill-repute!"
Shakespeare: "But of excellent reputation!"
(I daresay that one's been around a while, given the British love of puns, but it was a good place to use it!)

The boatman telling his passenger, "I had that Christopher Marlowe in my boat once" always gets a laugh on this side of the Pond.
(I don't know if London cab drivers really say that (I get around London by Tube, not taxi), but it's part of the culture that they do).

Favourite visual jokes:

Shakespeare looking embarrassed and indicating about eight inches when asked by the quack "How long has it been?"

Queen Elizabeth striding through a muddy puddle before the assembled courtiers belatedly lay their cloaks over it

Shakespeare falling off the balcony when the nurse appears at the window instead of Viola

The nurse hurriedly crossing herself when Viola appears on stage as Juliet.

I could go on :-)

Any takers?

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 227 comments John Webster: "I like it when she dies!" (probably paraphrased)

message 14: by Carla (new)

Carla Nayland | 36 comments John Webster was the horrible little boy with the mice, wasn't he? Suits his plays :-) I confess, Ididn't get that joke until the second or third time I saw the film. You were well ahead of me :-)

message 15: by Jennifer, Group Founder/Mod #1 (new)

Susanna wrote: "John Webster: "I like it when she dies!" (probably paraphrased)"

Just looking at the quotes on IMDB and found this one :)

Queen Elizabeth: You are an eager boy. Did you like the play?
John Webster: I liked it when she stabbed herself, Your Majesty.

message 16: by Jennifer, Group Founder/Mod #1 (new)

A couple more from IMDB:

Shakespeare:
"You see? The comsumptives plot against me. 'Will Shakespeare has a play, let us go and cough through it.'"

Philip Henslowe:
"Let us have pirates, clowns, and a happy ending, or we shall send you back to Stratford to your wife!"

"You see - comedy. Love, and a bit with a dog. That's what they want."

Viola:
"I will have poetry in my life. And adventure. And love. Love above all. No... not the artful postures of love, not playful and poetical games of love for the amusement of an evening, but love that... over-throws life. Unbiddable, ungovernable - like a riot in the heart, and nothing to be done, come ruin or rapture. Love - like there has never been in a play."

Viola: "You have never spoken so well of him before"
Shakespeare: "He was not dead before"

Queen Elizabeth: [after inspecting Viola:]
"Have her then, but you're a lordly fool. She's been plucked since I saw her last, and not by you... it takes a woman to know it."