A History of Royals discussion

Royalty In Film > England: Elizabeth (1998)

Comments Showing 1-25 of 25 (25 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jennifer, Group Founder/Mod #1 (new)

Jennifer (jennifertudor) | 726 comments Mod
What did everyone think of these? Being an Elizabeth fanatic and a fan of Cate Blanchette & Joseph Fiennes (lol see my avatar) I loved them both although I enjoyed the first one much more than the second. I've always found the 'first part' of Elizabeth's life to be more intriguing than the latter years.

message 2: by Christine (last edited Mar 21, 2010 07:53AM) (new)

Christine (chrisarrow) I loved Blanchette as Elizabeth. I love Clive Owen. I kept going but, though each of the movies was so-so.

message 3: by Lyn (Readinghearts), The mod of last resort/Mod #3 (new)

Lyn (Readinghearts) (lsmeadows) | 1550 comments Mod
I have really been wanting to see these, so I will be interested to see what everyone thinks of them.

message 4: by Colleen, The Enforcer/Mod #2 (new)

Colleen (nightoleander) | 345 comments Mod
I put the movies in seperate folders. Here is the synopsis from netflix:

"Shekhar Kapur's Oscar-winning treatise on absolute power and its human toll sees fledgling queen Elizabeth I (Cate Blanchett) sacrificing happiness with her lover (Joseph Fiennes) for her own safety and placing her trust in her stealthy "spymaster," Sir Francis Walsingham (Geoffrey Rush). The so-called "Virgin Queen" took the throne of a Roman Catholic country, declared the nation Protestant and ruled for 45 years -- but at great personal cost."

message 5: by Jennifer, Group Founder/Mod #1 (new)

Thanks Colleen. That's what I should have done :)

Seriously, this is my favorite Elizabeth movie. Lyn and Alexandria: track it down. Colleen, have you seen it? I know she's not your favorite Queen but it's good... and again... it's Joseph Fiennes!

message 6: by Jennifer, Group Founder/Mod #1 (new)

Chris wrote: "I loved Blanchette as Elizabeth. I love Clive Owen. I kept going but, though each of the movies."

Chris, I'm not sure if you finished your thought :P

message 7: by Lyn (Readinghearts), The mod of last resort/Mod #3 (new)

I will definitely track them down!

message 8: by Jennifer, Group Founder/Mod #1 (new)

Not even so much the second one Lyn but definitely the first.

message 9: by Jennifer, Group Founder/Mod #1 (new)

You'll have to let me know what you think. I do hope you like it.

message 10: by Manuel (new)

Manuel | 86 comments Cate Blanchett told Charlie Rose in an inteview; the scene where they film Elizabeth sitting under a tree and a messenger arrives telling her Queen Mary is dead; was very surreal and emotional. The film crew was very quiet and respectful....

It was filmed the same day Princess Diana died in Paris.

message 11: by Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (last edited Mar 17, 2010 04:35PM) (new)

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 227 comments I really was not in love with this movie. Great costumes, though.

Alexandra - this movie did indeed come out in 1998; the sequel, Elizabeth: The Golden Age, came out in 2007.

message 12: by Jennifer, Group Founder/Mod #1 (new)

Wow Manuel. Thanks for posting that! That was one of my favorite scenes in the movie and a heart-wrenching day when Diana died.

Susanna, Anything in particular you didnt enjoy about it or did you just not care for it overall?

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 227 comments I found the combination of plotlines rather strange; like there were two movies trying to get out of that film. One a biopic about Elizabeth, and the other a Tudor James Bond flick. I didn't think they went particularly well together.

message 14: by Jennifer, Group Founder/Mod #1 (new)

Interesting. I never got that impression but I'll have to watch it again soon keeping that in mind and see how it strikes me.

message 15: by Manuel (new)

Manuel | 86 comments my only complaint has to do with the dates. They sort of combined events from several years apart and made it look like it all happened within a few weeks of mounting the throne. Its a small point, but I see why they had to do that, in order to have a manageable movie within 2 hours.

message 16: by Tina (new)

Tina Sigh, this was on HBO Asia last night, so of course I had to re-watch it. What a great acting job by Cate Blanchett. You could really see how torn Elizabeth must have been in the early days of reign--adjusting from being her own person to being England's queen.

message 17: by Colleen, The Enforcer/Mod #2 (new)

Colleen (nightoleander) | 345 comments Mod
Jennifer wrote: "Thanks Colleen. That's what I should have done :)

Seriously, this is my favorite Elizabeth movie. Lyn and Alexandria: track it down. Colleen, have you seen it? I know she's not your favorite Que..."

No problem, that's why there are three of us modding the group, LOL

I am still conflicted on to watch this movie, I will consider it for you Jennifer. :)

message 18: by Christine (new)

Christine (chrisarrow) Best Elizabeth, to my mind, is Glenda Jackson. Her Elizabeth R is awesome.

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 227 comments Chris wrote: "Best Elizabeth, to my mind, is Glenda Jackson. Her Elizabeth R is awesome."

Yep.

message 20: by Manuel (new)

Manuel | 86 comments Whenever I imagine Elizabeth in my mind's eye, I inevitably see Glenda Jackson.

message 21: by Jennifer, Group Founder/Mod #1 (new)

Somehow I haven't seen that one yet... I've seriously got to get it!

message 22: by Lora (new)

Lora Strum (livinginmymind) | 1 comments I loved the first Elizabeth movie. I hadn't expected to because I like facts, not necessarily the movie drama that comes with a full theatrical production. But the director did a great job making the facts come alive. Elizabeth was a magnificent woman, and I'm glad that the movie portrayed her life the way it was, no extra fluff. The dress scene I thought was a bit much, but who knows...that entire century was a bit much...all in all, I loved the movie...Cate Blanchett and Joseph Fiennes were amazing...

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 227 comments Jennifer wrote: "Somehow I haven't seen that one yet... I've seriously got to get it!"

Glenda Jackson is a magnificent Elizabeth.

message 24: by Lyn (Readinghearts), The mod of last resort/Mod #3 (new)

Glenda Jackson is the Elizabeth I remember and picture, but I still want to see this one to compare.

message 25: by Manuel (new)

Manuel | 86 comments Glenda Jackson played Elizabeth twice. She was in "Elizabeth R"
and in "Mary Queen of Scots".