Classics Book Club discussion

General > Suggestions? Make the group a little more fun?

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Alyssa (new)

Alyssa (hawkstar) | 73 comments Mod
Anyone have any suggestions on how to make this club more fun and interesting? Maybe if there's more stuff to do, we'll get some more activity going! :)

message 2: by Alyssa (new)

Not sure if anyone knows, but you can start your own threads! There is a folder for book discussions that aren't this month's books, and a random folder where you can talk about anything.

message 3: by Rachel (new)

Rachel (Snoopi) I've noticed that some groups have challenges, and I wonder if this is something people in this group may be interested in? For instance, a challenge for the year 2010, a challenge for the month (maybe read both classics listed for the month), a challenge for 6 months... We could have a point system, easy tasks and more complex tasks... What do you think?

message 4: by Alyssa (new)

Rachel wrote: "I've noticed that some groups have challenges, and I wonder if this is something people in this group may be interested in? For instance, a challenge for the year 2010, a challenge for the month (..."

Great idea! I definitely think we should do something like this.

message 5: by Rachel (new)

Rachel (Snoopi) Let's see if it would take off. One idea that popped into my head was all books by one author - like all of Jane Austen, all of Charles Dickens (I know that would be a big one), etc....

message 6: by Carmen (new)

Carmen (carmenxrae) That would be fun! Great idea!

message 7: by Alyssa (new)

Rachel wrote: "Let's see if it would take off. One idea that popped into my head was all books by one author - like all of Jane Austen, all of Charles Dickens (I know that would be a big one), etc...."

Oh, that's great! I think we'll start one up right now!

message 8: by Carlie (new)

Carlie Van Amerongen (carlievana) I don't know if I'm just not able to find it, but it seems to me that no one is discussing the books that we're supposed to be reading together, or at least, no one is discussing the ones that are up now (Wuthering Heights and Dracula). I think it would be more fun if we could get discussion going about those books. But like I said, I might just be unable to find the discussion forum, and I don't want to start a discussion if one is already going.

message 9: by Alyssa (new)

Carlie wrote: "I don't know if I'm just not able to find it, but it seems to me that no one is discussing the books that we're supposed to be reading together, or at least, no one is discussing the ones that are ..."

Thanks for pointing that out! I guess I forgot to start the threads. They're both up now, though!

message 10: by Chery (new)

Chery | 5 comments I just joined and would love to discuss. I hope I'm not "too old" for this book club, as I read somewhere that at least its creator, Alyssa, is in hs. But maybe this 26 year old with a BA and MA in English might be of some use. Regardless, hi, hello, and cheers.

message 11: by VWrulesChick (new)

VWrulesChick Welcome Chery,

Hehehe, you are not "too old" for this bookclub. I am in my 30s and I am sure we have some very wise and experienced members here -all with great opinions on the different books we read here.

Have fun !

message 12: by Donna (new)

Donna Bijas (donnabijas) | 2 comments 20s, 30s, shoot I am 50 years old always willing to listen to another opinion and discuss great literature. Right now am enjoying Grapes of Wrath, didn't care for Wuthering Heights. Is our new book Alice in Wonderland and when do we need to finish it?

message 13: by Chery (new)

Chery | 5 comments Thanks, both of you!

message 14: by Alyssa (new)

@Donna: Yes, Alice in Wonderland is one of this months books, and it should be finished by the end of the month. :)

@Cherry: Welcome to the club! Thanks for joining!