Challenge: 50 Books discussion

2010 > Gregg's 50 in 2010 or, A Pipe Dream

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Greg (last edited Jul 21, 2010 07:32PM) (new)

Greg | 48 comments Hello, all. I love to read, and I have many many books, most of which are unread (I haven't gotten around to add them into my collection). I don't think I can achieve 50 books by the end of 2010. I spend most of my weekends with my girlfriend, and I'm at school for 13 hours (shoot me please) several days a week for stage crew. With this lack of time to read, and the fact that I read pretty slowly, puts this goal further and further away. However, it'll be a fun goal to attempt to reach.

As my profile says, I'm currently reading Don Quixote and Guns, Germs, and Steel. I hope to finish these by the end of March, which may or may not happen.

January:
None

February:
None

March:
None

April:
Guns, Germs, and Steel by Jared Diamond

May:
None

June:
Blood Makes The Grass Grow Green by Jonny Rico

July:
The Translator by Daoud Hari
1984 by George Orwell
A Long Way Gone by Ishmael Beah
Don't Stand Too Close to a Naked Man by Tim Allen
Ticktock by Dean Koontz

message 2: by Carol (new)

Carol Neman | 469 comments Greg, one of the rules here at GoodReads is that everyone is able to read at their own pace. I joined last year, and although I did read some books, quite a few anyway, I never got around to posting them online, so this year I thought I'd give it a try (posting, I mean). Which reminds me, it's about time to do it again...

Happy reading and good luck with college, girlfriend and 'work'. Does 'stage crew' mean film or theater?

message 3: by Naomi V (new)

Naomi V (naomi_v) | 553 comments Gregg wrote: "Hello, all. I love to read, and I have many many books, most of which are unread (I haven't gotten around to add them into my collection). I don't think I can achieve 50 books by the end of 2010. I..."

i admire your ambition in taking this 'challenge' even though you have some obstacles to overcome. do the best that you can. i, too, am a rather slow reader and didn't discover this list until the beginning of february, when i was still reading my first book of the year. enjoy what you read and good luck!

message 4: by Greg (new)

Greg | 48 comments Thanks for the support you guys! I very much appreciate it.

I'm in high school, not college. Stage crew refers to theater. We're currently building the set for the musical right now.

message 5: by Donna (new)

Donna | 1350 comments Ahhh... the spring musical. I'm having a moment. West Side Story, Godspel, Hello Dolly... What are you putting on? Hope you're enjoying it.

message 6: by Greg (new)

Greg | 48 comments Our spring musical is called Disco Inferno, apparently it's only a few years old. Last year it was Grease, and before that it was Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dream Coat, and West Side Story

message 7: by Donna (last edited Mar 23, 2010 11:27AM) (new)

Donna | 1350 comments Gregg wrote: "Our spring musical is called Disco Inferno, apparently it's only a few years old. "

Sounds like a lot of fun, although having been about your age during the actual Disco era, it also make me feel old!

message 8: by Greg (new)

Greg | 48 comments Musical finished up this weekend. I'll miss being on crew, but I'm glad that now I actually have time for stuff

I somehow managed to lose Don Quixote in my room, so I've picked up The House of The Spirits by Isabel Allende to fill the gap.

message 9: by Greg (last edited Jul 05, 2010 06:06PM) (new)

Greg | 48 comments Yikes, it's been a long time since I've posted here. But I haven't really finished much. Chagrin...

I've finished a few, and I'm currently reading A Long Way Gone by Ishmael Beah, and 1984 by George Orwell. My goodreads profile should soon reflect this. House of Spirits and Don Quixote are on hold at the current moment.

message 10: by Greg (new)

Greg | 48 comments Marking down another victory, another book read!

I now have a plan for my books I am currently reading. I will finish A Long Way Gone most likely in the next week. My girlfriend has talked me into selling a number of my books that probably don't hold much intellectual/literary weight, the dime-a-dozen thrillers and the like. So, I've started reading Don't Stand Too Close to a Naked Man. Then I will continue reading Don Quixote and The House of the Spirits, hopefully to finish by the end of August.

message 11: by Greg (new)

Greg | 48 comments Finished A Long Way Gone a while ago. It was a wonderful book, but I felt it ended very abruptly.

Also finished Don't Stand Too Close To A Naked Man by Tim Allen and Ticktock by Dean Koontz. Tim Allen's was okay, but I did not care for Ticktock at all. It started out well enough, with the minikin causing havoc in the house. If it had stayed with a cat and mouse game with a tiny but incredibly clever sock puppet, it would've been good. But once Tommy crashed his car and met Del, the book just sunk. I did not care for Del whatsoever. It seemed like Koontz had tried far too hard to make her seem intriguing, but I just couldn't give a damn about her.

My girlfriend took an Intro to Virology class for a few weeks at her college, and had Viruses, Plagues, and History as a text book. I'm loving it so far.

Apparently she picked me up several books today (nearly finishing my Stephen King collection, just need book 4 and on of the Dark Tower), she's just that amazing.

MB (What she read) Gregg, if you like her virology textbook, you might likeParasite Rex : Inside the Bizarre World of Nature's Most Dangerous Creatures. It was a very entertaining book, I thought.