The Sword and Laser discussion

Australian Authors

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Matthew (last edited Mar 15, 2010 04:48AM) (new)

Matthew Cranley | 20 comments It is good to see a great selection of Australian Authors here on goodreads, great site by the way.

Here is a repost from the Ning Forums.

Just thought that I would add up some Australian Science Fiction/Fantasy Authors that I find very enjoyable.

Tony Shillitoe
Andrakis Trilogy
The Ashuak Chronicles
Dreaming in Amber

Sara Douglass
The Axis Trilogy
The Wayfarer Redemption
Threshold
Beyond the Hanging Wall
Darkglass Mountain

Trudi Canavan
The Black Magician Trilogy
The Magician's Apprentice
The Age of the Five Trilogy

Ian Irvine
The View from the Mirror Quartet
The Well of Echoes Quartet
The Song of the Tears Trilogy

Kylie Chan
The Dark Heavens Series - Best Earth Based, modern times series I have read ever.

message 2: by Michael (new)

Michael Minutillo (wolfbyte) Awesome. I picked up the first Dreaming in Amber book over the weekend and added it to my stack. It has a dingo on the front cover :o

message 3: by Rick (new)

Rick Pasley (hikr3) | 71 comments I have never really read anything expressly Austrilian. What do you find to be the biggest differences between the Australian and American and British fiction? Do Aussies focus on different themes or have a different style? Is there a good reason for me to seek out these authors over the authors I have sitting on my to read shelf already?

message 4: by Nemaruse (last edited Mar 15, 2010 04:56PM) (new)

Nemaruse Neoxeekhrobe Hulkonnowolf | 33 comments The world has become a global village, so I doubt there would be much difference between authors from different parts of the world except for their English. But what I would like to see is a different version of the same story but from a different culture. Thats where I feel the real fun from authors from around the globe, exists. Other than that I think its just the nationality or your memory of that country, that becomes the interest.

message 5: by Matthew (new)

Matthew Cranley | 20 comments @Mike I am going to assume that you have read Andrakis Trilogy and The Ashuak Chronicles, if not these are a must as it is really one continuing series.

@Rick in some series there is really nothing different between authors, I have found that British authors seem to stick to stereotypical fantasy, stemming from history or similar, not all but some. I am also finding that apart from Tony Shillitoe who in his Dreaming in Amber series does a great job of describing the Australian outback in a fantasy setting, most other Australian Authors create their own worlds.

Another Author that I shoudl add to this list is Jennifer Fallon. Her series of books is very compelling.

On a side note it would be good to see an Australian author as a pick for the Sword and Laser

message 6: by Michael (new)

Michael Minutillo (wolfbyte) Matthew wrote: "@Mike I am going to assume that you have read Andrakis Trilogy and The Ashuak Chronicles, if not these are a must as it is really one continuing series."

Hmm, I haven't. Will this seriously mess with my ability to enjoy Dreaming in Amber? I did read The Mallorean before reading The Belgariad :p

message 7: by Matthew (new)

Matthew Cranley | 20 comments It shouldn't, although it will make a hell of a lot more sense if you do read them in order, as there is some (without ruining plot) character development and carry over from earlier books

message 8: by Mark (new)

Mark (mlayton68) | 1 comments I'd add Joel Shepherd to the list of Australian authors. I found his Cassandra Kresnov trilogy at my local library and really enjoyed it. It reminded me of the anime "Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex" i.e. female cyborg soldier caught up in political intrigue. I think the first book
Crossover would be a great pick for a Sword and Laser book. It has intrigue, action, compelling characters (at least I think they are) and is a fairly quick read.

message 9: by Matthew (new)

Matthew Cranley | 20 comments Everyone, please add any other Australian Authors that you enjoy. I like to know what is out there, plus it means that we Aussie's normally get the book first.

message 10: by Travis (new)

Travis (dailydog) | 2 comments I am a really big fan of Garth Nix.

message 11: by Sean (new)

Sean O'Hara (seanohara) | 2365 comments Just finished Tomorrow, When the War Began by John Marsden. I guess it's not strictly a science fiction novel, though it's set in a near future where Australia's been invaded by an unspecified foreign nation. Sort of Red Dawn in the Outback.

message 12: by Matthew (new)

Matthew Cranley | 20 comments @Sean, sounds interesting, might have to put it on the 'to look into' shelf

message 13: by Mikebliv (last edited Mar 26, 2010 08:47AM) (new)

Mikebliv | 11 comments @Matthew, I've tried them all and liked them (except for Kylie Chan). I also like Garth Nix. Don't forget Isobelle Carmody with her Obernewtyn Chronicles.

Which fantasy author had a fish called a "bamundi" in his book? It kept bringing me out of the fantasy world everytime it gets mentioned because it was too similar to the actual fish called "baramundi".

edit: author hyperlink added