Paranormal Romance & Urban Fantasy discussion

General Discussion > Audiobooks: Yay! or Nay :(

Comments Showing 1-50 of 129 (129 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Lenore (new)

Lenore  (lenorenrr) | 528 comments I just bought my first audiobook. Covet by J.R. Ward. So far so good. Do you prefer audiobooks? Are they worth 4 or 5 times the paperback price?

message 2: by Ms. Nikki (new)

Ms. Nikki (miznikki) | 21 comments Nay! I am impatient. I can read pretty fast, so the reading in audiobooks are too slow for me. Now, if my eyesight failed me or I couldn't hold a book, then I would be very grateful to have such an item. But, for now. It's a no.

message 3: by Michelle (last edited Mar 14, 2010 08:01PM) (new)

Michelle Gilmore Nay.... I listened to an audiobook snippet b/c I spend a lot of time driving during the day for work. It was supposed to be a humorous book, and the narrator reminded me of Eyeore(sp?), from the Winnie the Pooh tales. It just turned me off from the rest of the series.

message 4: by Kelley Anne (new)

Kelley Anne | 286 comments I LOVE audio books, but I am not willing to spend that much on them. I have a membership with audible.com and so the books average from $12-$20 per book. That or I get them from the library if they are a book that's been out for a while.

I am a faster reader than an audio book, but I find myself almost skimming or speed reading and you can't do that with an audio. Also, I have a job where I can listen to audio books while working, so I am hooked on them! But there are some narrators that I don't enjoy, so I always listen to the samples before hand.

message 5: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Gilmore Kelley Anne wrote: "I LOVE audio books, but I am not willing to spend that much on them. I have a membership with audible.com and so the books average from $12-$20 per book. That or I get them from the library if th..."

Yeah, I think the narrator was my issue, and it was the first pnr audiobook I ever tried to listen too. I did listen to a Helen Keller audiobook in a high school english class years ago, now that I think about it. That narrator was very good. Is $12-$20 the average price?

message 6: by Kelley Anne (new)

Kelley Anne | 286 comments It depends on what package you get. Like I said, I listen to a TON of audio books. When you have 40+ hours a week at work to listen, I go through a lot! So, I have two different audible accounts. One is a monthly. It's $22.95 a month and I get two books for that, so each book ends up only costing $11.47. For my other account, it's an annual one that I renew whenever I have a big chunck of money that I can put aside for books. It's $229.50 but you get 24 books for that, or $9.56 a book. Also with an audible membership, if you have used up all of your "credits" for books that month, any additional books are 30% of of the list price, so typically no more than about $20. And basically every book that I've wanted, that I know has been made into an audio book, audible has. The only ones they dont carry are Harry Potter! Basically they have everything else.

message 7: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Gilmore Kelley Anne wrote: "It depends on what package you get. Like I said, I listen to a TON of audio books. When you have 40+ hours a week at work to listen, I go through a lot! So, I have two different audible accounts..."

Thanks. I'll have to check that out. I sometimes spend a lot of time driving for my job, so I wouldn't mind trying another audio book.

message 8: by Kelley Anne (new)

Kelley Anne | 286 comments I think that they have something like a two week trial or something like that to get started. And you can cxl it at any time, so if you sign up for the monthly, and after 1 month decided that you don't really care to keep it, you can cxl your membership.

DarkHeart "Vehngeance" (darkheart) | 737 comments Yeah, why don't they have Harry Potter - or Dresden Files books 6 & 7? Sigh... ;)

I love audiobooks. I used to have a two hour round trip drive to work every day and found audiobooks to be a great way to pass the time. While my drive is now half the time (yay!), I still love to listen to my favorite stories.

I agree with Kelley Anne that the narrator makes all the difference. I also do the annual membership which keeps my books at under $10 each. I tend to buy books that I've already read and loved - thus allowing me to "re-read" them, but occasionally I'll try something new.

Favorite narrations include:
Mercy Thompson series
Kate Daniels series
Black Dagger Brotherhood series
Twilight series
Hunger Games series
Dresden Files series

message 10: by Kelley Anne (last edited Mar 15, 2010 12:12AM) (new)

Kelley Anne | 286 comments I'll second the ones that DarkHeart mentioned and add a few of my own! (She and I tend to have similar tastes and have discussed audio books a number of times!)

*The Highlander series and the Fae series by Karen Marie Moning
*Anything read by Holter Graham - including some of the dark hunter series and the Alpha and Omega series. (If you like the Dark Hunter series, DON'T get the audio for Dream Warrior. That was just MAJORLY painful!)
*I just started listening to the first Lara Adrian book, and it's pretty good.
*Sookie Stackhouse Series
*Harper Connelly Series
*Bitten, Frostbitten and Men of the Otherworld by Kelley Armstrong (the others in the series are alright, but not fav's)
*Werecats series by Rachel Vincent

And I have to give an extra thumbs up to the Mercy Thompson, Hunger Games, and BDB series!

message 11: by Lenore (new)

Lenore  (lenorenrr) | 528 comments DarkHeart, I listened to a snippet of the BDB, and I wasn't crazy about it. Does it get better when the book gets started?

DarkHeart "Vehngeance" (darkheart) | 737 comments I think Jim Frangione does a great job. Again, I wasn't initially sure about it, but once the book got going, I was fully immersed. Love them, and love the fact that they've kept the same narrator for all of the books (I hate when narrators change mid series).

message 13: by Carolyn F. (new)

Carolyn F. | 565 comments Audiobooks are hit or miss. Sometimes the voices just don't match up for me. I love Davina Porter's narration. She can go anywhere from a child to a man and sound convincing. I tried a Sandra Brown one recently with a male and a female narrators which was awful - had to stop listening to it.

message 14: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Orlich Ahern (kittymeowxcore) | 97 comments YAY for their existence, and NAY for the cost. And I agree, they are usually hit or miss. The only audio books I have are the ones by Karen Marie Moning, because Phil Gilante's voice is so dreamy. But even then, I end up paying $16-$17 for them on iTunes.

The positive them about the price, is that it's a different experience in comparison to reading. I enjoy listening to audiobooks over and over again, and it's something to do at work.

message 15: by Dawn (new)

Dawn (dawnv) | 320 comments I love the lady who does the Sookie Stackhouse series,
like other have mentioned I read faster than the audio books so I normally do not get them and if I do they tend to be non-fiction books

message 16: by Yz the Whyz (last edited Mar 15, 2010 11:15AM) (new)

Yz the Whyz (whyz) | 1020 comments Mod
I love audiobooks, although some readers are better than others. It's a great way to spend my commute time for work.

Some stand-out readers that I can think of includes, Holloway who was Anita Blake's voice (although they got a new one for Skin Trade, and I hated her). For me, Holloway also saved Chance's Touch the Dark for me. If not for her reading, I would have given up on that book. Also Johanna Parker's performance as Sookie Stackhouse is wonderful to listen to. Other names that comes to mind includs; Susan Ericksen's work for JD Robb's In Death series (love her Roarke's voice) and Phil Gigante's reading of KMM's Highlander series (the guy can do a sexy Scottish brogue).

I don't buy audiobooks (can't really afford them), but I belong to a library system that has plenty of them.

message 17: by Jesse (new)

Jesse (Jessep) | 119 comments I love to read an actual book, but audio books are excellent for road-trips! Since discovering this, my 8 hour drives home to visit family go by in a flash (I've even cirlced the block once getting into town in order to finish one after being in the car for hours!). I plan to get a paranormal romance audiobook for my upcoming trip, but don't know which yet. I have always listened to Janet Evanovich because it's funny and sexy...keeps me awake. I agree that the prices can be outrageous.
I've never bought one full price though. If you have a McKay's used book store in a town near you...GO THERE! You can find lots of audiobooks for cheap, but you have to be willing to look and check back often because they are used, but I've always found them in good condition. Then, when you are done, you can trade them back in for another one or a book. Also, you can rent audio books at Cracker Barrel for like $3 and then trade them in at any other Cracker Barrel store. I'll be looking at McKay's for your suggestions above. Thanks All!

message 18: by Jesse (new)

Jesse (Jessep) | 119 comments Yz the Whyz wrote: "I love audiobooks, although some readers are better than others. It's a great way to spend my commute time for work.

Some stand-out readers that I can think of includes, Holloway who was Anita ..."

I've thought of checking out the Library selection too...Then, you can download them into your itunes and listen anytime you want!

message 19: by Yz the Whyz (new)

Jesse wrote:I've thought of checking out the Library selection too...Then, you can download them into your itunes and listen anytime you want! ..."

Check if your library is connected with Overdrive.com.

Jim son of Jim (formerly PhotoJim) (jim_formerly_photojim) | 80 comments I don't like audio 'books'. Sometimes my wife and I will read to each other. That is about the extent of it. I don't get nearly the retention and involvement when someone else reads something to me as I do when I read it myself. It's like going to a meeting where they give you handouts and proceed to read them to you. No thank you.

I've tried a few while on long car trips. I rarely like them Maybe I hold them to a different standard. Who knows. Let me listen to music and talk while I'm driving. Works better.

message 21: by Sandy (new)

Sandy | 449 comments I wouldn't buy an audio book but my boyfriend who isn't much of a reader enjoys listening to them so we take audio books out of the library and listen for an hour after dinner.

This way he actually enjoys books and is more understanding of my wanting to read

message 22: by Carolyn F. (new)

Carolyn F. | 565 comments I listen to them to/from work, when getting ready in the morning and after taking a shower at night. So I'll get in a good hour a day. This way I'm kind of reading another book. I find that if the audiobook interests me, I'll read other books by the author.

message 23: by Angela (new)

Angela (angbens) | 343 comments I listen to them if I can get them from the library. I only listen to them while working out or mowing the grass....

message 24: by Jaime (new)

Jaime Rush (jaime_rush) | 122 comments Michelle wrote: "Nay.... I listened to an audiobook snippet b/c I spend a lot of time driving during the day for work. It was supposed to be a humorous book, and the narrator reminded me of Eyeore(sp?), from the W..."

OMG, that's just sad. And funny, in a warped way. When I've listened to a book that I end up not liking, I always wonder if it was the book, the abridgment, or the narrator. Sometimes the narrator can definitely spoil a story.

message 25: by Pickles (new)

Pickles (angstypickles) | 219 comments Nay for me. I've tried a couple in the past, but I prefer to read the book myself. I definitely think a bad narrator can ruin the story.

message 26: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Gilmore Jaime wrote: "Michelle wrote: "Nay.... I listened to an audiobook snippet b/c I spend a lot of time driving during the day for work. It was supposed to be a humorous book, and the narrator reminded me of Eyeore..."

I think I'll give it another shot, and go to the library and check a few out. I was on itunes earlier and saw a few audio books that are in my tbr pile. They're were pretty expensive, but it was good to see that you can get them there as well.

message 27: by Catherine (new)

Catherine No, I'm not really a fan of audio books. They're too slow. What takes me 3-4 hours to read takes them 13-14 hours.

Also, I like being able to reread a paragraph or flip back to a previous chapter to clarify a point. I also have a bad habit of tuning out the reader so I miss a lot of the details. I only pay attention with half my mind when I'm listening to a book.

I do have to admit they're great for my husband though. He'd rather listen to a book than read it himself. He really likes how James Marsters reads the Harry Dresden books.

message 28: by FlibBityFLooB (last edited Mar 15, 2010 03:24PM) (new)

FlibBityFLooB If you listen to an audiobook CD using Windows Media Player, you can speed up the audiobook narration without making the reader sound like a chipmunk. Most of the time I will listen to a book at 1.4 times the speed, but some I can get away with a full 2x speed without losing the quality :)

I believe some MP3 players will also allow you to speed it up, but mine makes them into chipmunks.

Some audiobooks I love, others I hate. I check out a lot of audiobooks from the library, but I also have an audible account.

Favorite audiobooks I put on a goodreads shelf to remind me that I enjoyed the narration :) For example -- Karen Marie Moning fever series. My favorite narrators tend to do accents well that I have trouble picturing in my head :)

message 29: by Angela (new)

Angela | 20 comments NAY, partially b/c I can read (and still absorb) way faster than someone can speak, partially b/c I don't want a narrators voice affecting my image of the characters and stories (think how you have an image of a character in your head and then suddenly the cover has a full image shot or it's made into a TV show or movie and you're like "hmmm that's not at all how I pictured them"), partially b/c I know for a fact I will just get bored and zone out having it read to me, and lastly for the same reason I don't think I want a kindle, I like having the physical book to hold

message 30: by Angela (new)

Angela | 20 comments Catherine wrote: "He really likes how James Marsters reads the Harry Dresden books"

oooo James Marsters is the narrator, well that one I may just have to check out, lol :)

DarkHeart "Vehngeance" (darkheart) | 737 comments Angel wrote: "NAY, partially b/c I can read (and still absorb) way faster than someone can speak, partially b/c I don't want a narrators voice affecting my image of the characters and stories (think how you have..."

This can definitely be an issue. I think the narrator for Rachel Vincent's Shifters series does a good job, but she just doesn't sound anything like I think Faythe should sound like. As a result, it always takes me a chapter or two to get into the book, but then it doesn't bother me.

DarkHeart "Vehngeance" (darkheart) | 737 comments Angel wrote: "Catherine wrote: "He really likes how James Marsters reads the Harry Dresden books"

oooo James Marsters is the narrator, well that one I may just have to check out, lol :)"

He does an awesome job! =D

message 33: by Yz the Whyz (new)

In my opinion, reading a book and listening to an audiobook are two different skills.

In fact, if you are new to audiobooks, you might have to train yourself to focus, because it is very easy for your attention to wander. However, once you've mastered it, it's quite fun.

It's not the same as reading (I like that activity too : )), but listening can be just as rewarding.

message 34: by Alice (new)

Alice (thegoodqueen) | 131 comments True, audio is hit or miss. I really like them because I'm so busy I would never be able to read as many books. Marguerite Gavin is an excellent narrator, she does The Hollows series & I prefer audio to print for The Hollows. Laurel Merlington does the Meridith Gentry series & is great. There are so many more good voices out there. I use Audible & find it not too pricey. They always have pretty cool sales. Like 1st series books for 4.95. I think the BDB narrator is great because he reads it as written, kinda of noir paperback novel. When I want a book that is narrated by someone I haven't heard, I always listen to more than 1 snippet of the narrator's work before I buy the audio.

message 35: by Mischief (new)

Mischief | 1 comments I listen to a lot of audiobooks, and yes, they are expensive. So did anyone want to swap?

message 36: by Kelley Anne (new)

Kelley Anne | 286 comments Sorry, all of the audio books I have are from audible, can't swap those!

I LOVE audio books though. I'm completely addicted to them. I love the fact that I can through on an audio book while I'm cleaning or cooking dinner or just driving somewhere. Not to mention listening to them at work. It's great!

message 37: by ϟ Jess ϟ (new)

ϟ Jess ϟ (treepretty_) I've been listening to audiobooks a lot this year, since I've got a long commute. I only listen to books I've read before, though, because my mind wanders no matter the narrator/book. If I don't already know the story, then I end up lost XD.

I like listening to them for the same reason I listen to a radio show every morning; it's like someone is in the car with me and when you are in your car for 2 hours a day that helps a lot!

The library usually has a pretty good selection, so I get them from there. Purchasing audio books can definitely get expensive.

message 38: by Vicci (new)

Vicci (theibookemporium) | 193 comments I love audiobooks for long commutes, housework and bedtime. I usually like to have the audiobook and the print or ebook companion. I use audible.com (22.95 2 credits), Booksfree.com (22.95 a month 1 at a time unlimited cd/mps cd delivered and the library using overdrive for audiobooks.

message 39: by Alice (last edited Apr 03, 2010 10:33PM) (new)

Alice (thegoodqueen) | 131 comments It's such a treat when I can sit down with a book & just read. Most of the time I audio read. I can't audio when doing housework tho. The work distracts me. BUT I'm also a textile artist & audio allows me to read while I work. I always have my fully loaded iPOD with me when I drive. I still buy faves in hardcover tho. There's just something about holding my faves for a second read. Actually I've found Audible.com pretty reasonable after I figured out how to best use it for me. The plan I use provides 24 credits/books at 9.56/book. There are many sales during the year when I can get 4.95 books. The other big thing is I can get what I want UNABRIDGED. My library system also has mP3 downloads. So I guess you could say I'm a big fan of audio. Be sure to check out the voice/narrator most are good a few are intolerable. To share audio you can convert the book to CD on your computer. The CD can then be converted to wma for download.

message 40: by Shelleyrae (new)

Shelleyrae at Book'd Out | 145 comments I can't say I like audio books, I can't get lost in it the same way I can reading, but I borrow some at the library for my kids to listen to at night. They just finished the Harry Potter series, maybe check out your library for a few and see if they suit you before committing.

message 41: by Lisa (new)

Lisa  (lisao_0) Nay, It just doesn't seem right to me to say you have read a book when someone else has just read it to you ;)

message 42: by Mahyar (new)

Mahyar (themaninthegrayflannelsuit) | 8 comments It's fun to listen to them AFTER reading the book.

message 43: by Melanie (new)

Melanie (audiobookmel) I do like audio books, but I will say that my favorite books are always read first. Then I may go and listen to them as well. I have a long commute to work and sometimes I even listen to the books while I am at work.

My favorite series to listen to is the Anita Blake series by Laurell K. Hamilton, but only the books read by Cynthia Holloway. They have changed the narrator to Kimberly Alexis who is no where near as good. She cannot do a French accent, and there are a lot of French characters in this series.

I have also listened to several books that I do not think I would have been able to sit down and read. For example, Alice's Adventures in Wonderland / Through the Looking-Glass and The Divine Comedy. I enjoyed both of these on CD, but I do not think I could have set down and read them. Most of the time though, I listen to books that I have already read.

I will say that the reader is extremely important. I do not care how good the book, if the reader is bad the book does not read well.

message 44: by Literary Ames (new)

Literary Ames (amyorames) | 112 comments I tried out two audiobooks for the first time a couple of weeks ago but I didn't really enjoy it. I prefer reading and the ability to read faster and if necessary skim.

message 45: by Liv (new)

Liv (livlovelaugh) | 39 comments I live in Southern California where traffic is horrendous so audiobooks are a lifesaver in times of bumper to bumper traffic. When I really joy a great book/series I usually read the book and then listen to it over again in audiobook.I currently just finished the Night Huntress Series and I just got the audiobook and can't wait to be stuck in traffic lol!

Some books are especially great in audiobooks. The Harry Potter series the "actor" who does those books is amazing he does all the different accents. It's a lot of fun!

message 46: by Melanie (new)

Melanie (audiobookmel) Liv - I have not tried that series (Night Huntress series) on audiobook. You will have to let me know what you think. I may have to try it. I loved reading it (actually have read it twice).

message 47: by Regina (new)

Regina (reginar) I love audio books. While walking the dog, to the train for work, while doing mindless stuff at work, while working out, while driving ..... I download alot of free books from two libraries I have access to through overdrive.com. Luckily I have access to the Chicago Public library and there are a lot of great PNR/UF books available.

I am also a member of audible, but I am thinking of cancelling it since I am getting so many books from overdrive.

message 48: by Liv (last edited Apr 05, 2010 08:28AM) (new)

Liv (livlovelaugh) | 39 comments Dawn wrote: "I love the lady who does the Sookie Stackhouse series,
like other have mentioned I read faster than the audio books so I normally do not get them and if I do they tend to be non-fiction books"

I agree I think Johanna Parker does a great job with the Sookie Stackhouse series!! She's great.

Jim Frangione, who does the BDB is good perfect voice for the brothers but he's not soo good with the girls lol. But I may just be expecting too much lol! But I love the series so just hearing it is enjoyable enough.

The lady, Ilyana Kadushin, she does the Twilight series is HORRIBLY monotone it's such a drag! Makes the whinyness of Bella's character even more of a dread.

Melanie wrote: "Liv - I have not tried that series (Night Huntress series) on audiobook. You will have to let me know what you think. I may have to try it. I loved reading it (actually have read it twice). "

I've listened to the first 30 minutes and Tavia Gilbert, the reader for Halfway to the Grave is expressive and I think she has the perfect voice for Cat's spunkyness and Bone's 'tude it's been quite entertaining! I like it I'd recommend it.

After Halfway to Grave looking forward to listening to the Covet.

message 49: by Alice (last edited Apr 06, 2010 06:57AM) (new)

Alice (thegoodqueen) | 131 comments These are 5 of the BEST narrators:
Laurel Merlington...Merrideth Gentry sreies
Max Bellmore...Lords of the Underworld series
Marguerite Gavin...Rachel Morgan seires (the Hollows)
Jim Dale...the Hary Potter series
Loralie King...Mercy Thompson & Stephanie Plum
OOOPS..forgot..
Johanna Parker...Southern Vampire Mystery series
(sookie)
They are also VERY versatile

message 50: by Linnea (new)

Linnea (linneasinclair) | 96 comments I'm following this thread with interest as Audible just bought my Dock Five Universe series, and we're going through the narrator-decision now. They've chosen Dina Pearlman to read as Chaz Bergren for Gabriel's Ghost and Shades of Dark, but I don't have yet the name(s) of who will read Hope's Folly and the just-released Rebels and Lovers. Rebels and Lovers (Dock Five Universe, #4) by Linnea Sinclair

For those of you who've read Hope's Folly and who are familiar with Audible, I'd love to hear your input!
Hope's Folly (Dock Five Universe, #3) by Linnea Sinclair

Thanks!~Linnea, who's very excited to be in audio format after all these years

« previous 1 3