Paranormal Romance & Urban Fantasy discussion

General Discussion > Touch the Dark by Karen Chance

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Amber (new)

Amber Hoxit (clove311) | 43 comments Hi, names Amber. Been a part of the group for a couple months now, I post every now and then. I wanted input from some of you. I just bought Touch the Dark on my Kindle a couple days ago and since I have not been able to have it up and keep reading it for more then a few minutes before having to try something else. I just can't seem to get into it, but i'm only a few chapters in. Is this book worth seeing through to the end or should I move on?

message 2: by Deanne (new)

Deanne | 209 comments I have read this series and the first book I thought was crap! I bought the entire series so I read them all and they did get better I acually relly liked the rest of the series.
A friend of mine read them as well and she hated the first one as well and then went on to enjoy the series.
I think the first book is to wordy!it just goes on and on. But again the series does get better.

DarkHeart "Vehngeance" (darkheart) | 737 comments Amber, you're not alone. I started Touch the Dark three months before I finally got around to finishing it. Like you, I kept reading a few pages and then putting it down. Last month I gave in and started it over and read it all. In the end, I enjoyed it, and went on to read the second book, Claimed By Shadow. Still, not one of my favorite series, but I hear things really pick up in Embrace the Night and will probably start that one later this month.

message 4: by Mel W (last edited Mar 15, 2010 09:29AM) (new)

Mel W (melw) | 411 comments After reading a short story about Tomas on her website, which I enjoyed, I had great expectations of Touch The Dark when I eventually got around to reading it. Unfortunately, I really struggled with it too, Amber. I did end up finishing it but didn't particularly like it. It suffered badly with "first book syndrome" - all the world building and massive thought processes just wore me down. I have heard the series gets better, and I usually try the second book before I give up on a series, but I just haven't been able to bring myself to read them.

message 5: by Carolyn F. (new)

Carolyn F. | 565 comments I'm in the minority. I actually liked the first book. I had been reading a lot of poopy books before so maybe that's why I liked it more than everyone else.

message 6: by Yz the Whyz (new)

Yz the Whyz (whyz) | 1020 comments Mod
The only reason I was able to finish Touch the Dark was because I got it in audiobook format. Cythia Holloway is a great reader, and despite the information dump, I was able to get through. The 2nd book is better than the first, and the series has some very loyal following.

DarkHeart "Vehngeance" (darkheart) | 737 comments Hopefully Mel will chime in soon and she can argue the greatness of the series - she's the bully that got me reading them. ;)

Nichole (DirrtyH) (dirtyh) DarkHeart "Vehngeance" wrote: "Hopefully Mel will chime in soon and she can argue the greatness of the series - she's the bully that got me reading them. ;)"

We prefer the term "Peer Pressure Wench."

Amber, persevere. It's worthwhile.

message 9: by Kez (new)

Kez | 24 comments Hello, new to the group and a recent convert to this type of fiction. Just read these, I too struggled with the first half of the first book, but I'd recommend persevering it does get better and books 2 and 3 are good. x

DarkHeart "Vehngeance" (darkheart) | 737 comments Nichole wrote: "We prefer the term "Peer Pressure Wench."..."

Ha! You'd think her ears would be burning by now. ;)

Nichole (DirrtyH) (dirtyh) I know, you'd think!

message 12: by The Flooze (new)

The Flooze (the_flooze) | 1593 comments Apparently the words "Peer Pressure Wench" were enough to get me over here!

The first book is most certainly bogged down by an overabundance of information. I thought it picked up after about 60 pages or so. Before that point I kept thinking, "Come on already!"

The ending encouraged me to pick up book 2--there's an adrenaline rush toward the end that made me need to know what came next. Plus, I liked almost all of the characters.

The info dump lessens as you work through the series and gives way to a layered plot. I love her sense of humor and her skill at characterization. Each person/vamp/ghost/whathaveyou has a very distinct voice.

For anyone having trouble with it, it might do to read Midnight's Daughter first instead. As a spin-off series, it involves some of the same characters. Since it was written later it doesn't suffer from the same info dump as the first Cassie book, but it still has her trademark humor and high-pressure action.

message 13: by Amber (new)

Amber Hoxit (clove311) | 43 comments Okay you guys have convinced me! I will just put on my big girl panties and soldier on. I like the characters and the way she words her descriptions but I agree with the term "Info dump".She makes me feel like I'm standing in the middle of a room full of people I've never met and I have to memorize them very quickly. I made a list of the characters and wrote down alot of info to make it easier. I'm a big advocate of Audiobooks so I will definately search for it and try that avenue. I've heard so many good things about her as a writer and this series that I really want to see what all the hype is about. You guys are awesome! :) Thanks a ton

message 14: by Angela (new)

Angela | 20 comments I really like the series and read all 4 back to back awhile ago so I can't really remember if I struggled with the first one or not but I know that overall I really like the series plan on rereading them and starting the (sorta) spin-off Dorina Basarab series

message 15: by Laurie (new)

Laurie   (barklesswagmore) I've read the first three on audio and honestly if I had been reading them in paperback format I would have given up 1/4 of the way through Touch the Dark. They are improving but for me there is still too much action and they are still confusing me a bit. I had to do quite a bit of rewinding on all of them to catch things I'd missed either because I was confused or my mind had drifted away. Embrace the Night was ok and I will continue to listen to the series but it wasn't spectacular for me.

message 16: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Winter Frost Queen) (last edited Mar 18, 2010 06:44AM) (new)

Danielle The Book Huntress (Winter Frost Queen)  (gatadelafuente) | 461 comments Amber, don't give up. This is hard to get into and confusing. I persevered, and I ended up enjoying it.

message 17: by Amber (new)

Amber Hoxit (clove311) | 43 comments You guys are awesome :) I went ahead and got the audio book and I like it thousands of times better then the print version! It's actually caught my attention and I'm farther in it in one day then I got in two days of print. Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!

message 18: by Laurie (new)

Laurie   (barklesswagmore) I hear they get better and better as the series goes along. I find it much easier to stick with a book when it's on audio, probably because I have such a long commute and also use them when I'm doing boring tasks around the house.

Danielle The Book Huntress (Winter Frost Queen)  (gatadelafuente) | 461 comments That's probably pretty cool on audio!

message 20: by Yz the Whyz (new)

Yz the Whyz (whyz) | 1020 comments Mod
Cynthia Holloway has a pretty distinctive voice. For a long time, she was Anita Blake for me, but I guess, now she is Cassie. : )

**Danielle** Kindle Lover (smithson) | 3 comments I thought the frist book was very wordy and all over the place. I almost wanted to stop after the frist book,but I'm to curious. I do agree that the plot does get better.