Historical Fictionistas discussion

Group Read Discussions > April/May Group Read: The Postmistress by Sarah Blake

Comments Showing 1-50 of 72 (72 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Becky, Moddess (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) | 3385 comments Mod
Hello again all, it's that time!

Please nominate your choice for the April/May group read. Please remember to list title and author, and link to the book so that those who may not have read it can see what it's about. Also, tell us why you're nominating it: "I want to read about ancient Egypt" is perfectly fine.

Nominations will be open until March 21st, and then we'll vote.

message 2: by Becky, Moddess (new)

First Man in Rome. :)

message 3: by Becky, Moddess (new)

I will nominate Skeletons at the Feast by Chris Bohjalian because I am fascinated by personal trials in WWII.

JG (Introverted Reader) The Postmistress by Sarah Blake

Because I just finished it and loved and want everyone else to read it and love it too. Plus, it's not a brick. :-)

message 5: by Becky, Moddess (new)

YES! Ooh, your review made me want to read that like... yesterday. :D

JG (Introverted Reader) Skeletons at the Feast is fantastic too. I don't know which I like best!

message 7: by Becky, Moddess (new)

I'll just have to read them both and see...
Speaking of reading, I should probably do some if I plan on reading anything else this year. :P

Keep those noms coming!

message 8: by Jayme (new)

Jayme (jaymetheghostreader) | 2775 comments I am not reading First Man In Rome. I got that from the library and that is a brick of a book. I am not up to reading a 800-900 page book. I will have to think of a suggestion.

message 9: by Rowan (new)

Rowan (rowanhastings) | 1 comments K this one has been sitting in my TBR pile for a very long time so.....Ordinary Heroes by Scott Turow.

It is about a son discovering what really happened to his father in WWII.

message 10: by Jayme (new)

Jayme (jaymetheghostreader) | 2775 comments okay I came up with a couple suggestions:
The Three Musketeers
The Scarlet Letter
Atonement

message 11: by Becky, Moddess (new)

You have to pick one, and I'd need title and author, Jayme.

message 12: by Jayme (new)

Jayme (jaymetheghostreader) | 2775 comments Picking just one is no fun :) i will go with "The Three Musketeers by Alexander Dumas

message 13: by Becky, Moddess (new)

I've read The Scarlet Letter, but not the other two. I personally really liked it, but I know many people don't.

I do want to read the others... hopefully this year.

message 14: by Becky, Moddess (new)

I will! Ooh. Maybe that's what I should use my PBS credit for! :D

message 15: by Kandice (new)

Kandice I would like to nominate The Feast of All Saints by Anne Rice. It's very, very interesting, and I just read a more recent book about inequality. This one takes place much further back.

message 16: by ToniS (new)

ToniS I nominate A Reliable Wife by Robert Goolrick.

It's gotten a lot of buzz, it's recently out in paperback, it's on a lot of people's TBR, and it's my kind of dark, murderous story.

message 17: by Rachel (new)

Rachel (Snoopi) All of these suggestion sound, WOW, Fantastic! I would be happy with any of them. I am currently reading A Reliable Wife and it is surprisingly dark, in an interesting way. I really like it, but have to put it down now and then!
My suggestion... Middlemarch by George Eliot... a door-stopper, though!

message 18: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (mom2grma) | 26 comments How aboutPrince Across the Water by Jane Yolen or Savage Lands by Clare Clark? These are some recent additions to my TBR list but look good!

message 19: by Becky, Moddess (new)

You gotta choose one! :)

message 20: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (mom2grma) | 26 comments Okay then Prince Across the Water b/c it involves more Scottish highlanders!

Lyn (Readinghearts) (lsmeadows) I am actually at a loss, so I will let you all nominate, then I can just vote!!

message 22: by Jeane (new)

Jeane The American Boyby Andrew Taylor
Want to nominte this one because Fiona is always ratling on how good it is, and everybody she convinced in reading it agrees!:-)

message 24: by Rachel (new)

Rachel (Snoopi) Love Scottish highlanders!!!!

message 25: by Jeane (new)

Jeane Haha, Tweets, I knew you would be happy!

message 26: by Jon (new)

Jon | 325 comments Someone knows my name was good, i enjoyed that.

ill go The Godfather v highly rated and its been languishing on my shelves too long, as i never seem to feel the urge to pick it up, so need some encouragement!

message 27: by ToniS (new)

ToniS Where's the poll? I've carefully considered the candidates and I am ready to vote.

message 28: by Becky, Moddess (new)

Sorry! Got busy. Putting it up now!

message 29: by Becky, Moddess (new)

It's up now. :)

message 30: by Chris (new)

Chris  (haughtc) slacker...good deal...

message 31: by Becky, Moddess (new)

I know... *sigh* Shame on me!

message 32: by Jayme (new)

Jayme (jaymetheghostreader) | 2775 comments I voted.

message 33: by Jayme (new)

Jayme (jaymetheghostreader) | 2775 comments hahahahah

message 34: by Jeane (new)

Jeane Fiona wrote: "Me too. I hope my horse wins."

your horse is better my horse!

message 35: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (mom2grma) | 26 comments they all sound amazing! I don't know what to vote for! Man my TBR list just keeps growing!

message 36: by Jeane (new)

Jeane there is a book with two titles, the uk and US one....maybe that is an idea.........

message 37: by Rachel (new)

Rachel (Snoopi) I voted!!

message 38: by Becky, Moddess (new)

The Postmistress has won! :D

message 39: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (mom2grma) | 26 comments Sounds great!

Lyn (Readinghearts) (lsmeadows) Just looked at this one at the library, and I am 168 on the list for 26 books, so I don't think I will be doing this one either. DRAT. It looks good! Someday.

message 41: by Jayme (new)

Jayme (jaymetheghostreader) | 2775 comments I am still working on the book from winter group read.

message 43: by Rachel (new)

Rachel (Snoopi) Ok... moving on to the next great book!! This one looks gripping!!

message 44: by Becky, Moddess (new)

You might try getting the audio... I don't know how much you like doing audio, but I listened to a sample last night and it sounds like it would be very good. That's the route I'm going. :)

message 45: by Jayme (new)

Jayme (jaymetheghostreader) | 2775 comments I bought this book when I signed up for DoubleDay and they shipped the books today all but one was back ordered.

message 46: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thenightowl) | 2231 comments Me too! I downloaded it free thanks to my library so I will be listening to this one soon.

message 47: by Becky, Moddess (new)

The audiobook sounds like it will be good. I liked the reader's voice from what I heard of it.

I asked Thomas to download me a few audiobooks last night. I hope that he was able to get them. :D

message 48: by Rachel (new)

Rachel (Snoopi) It's a fast read... good stuff! I like how there are different storylines that run into each other. Also, each primary character is well-developed, so the reader wants to follow them and see how they come together. As far as the historical aspect, the bombings in London are made horrifically real when the details of the impacts are given. I'm wondering how everyone is going to survive (or not) and how the book is going to end.

message 49: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (mom2grma) | 26 comments I just got on the wait list for this at my library. Didn't realize how long it was.

message 50: by Becky, Moddess (new)

I just picked up the audio for this from the library! :D
*transferring it onto my MP3 player*

« previous 1