Explore World War II and Other Wars discussion

War on Terror > Afghanistan

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Martin Lamb, Head Moderator (new)

Martin Lamb | 212 comments Mod
Here we will discuss some of the major problems we are facing in Afghanistan.

message 2: by Paul (new)

Paul Pellicci Very rugged terrain.
Corrupt government officials.
War Lords switch sides.

message 3: by Martin Lamb, Head Moderator (new)

I know the terrain is very mountainous. Look what happened to the Soviets when they invaded, unfortunately we aided Bin Laden back then and look now.

message 4: by Paul (new)

Paul Pellicci This stuff happens continually. We aslo helped Sadam against Iran. We also helped the Mafia in Sicily to replase Mousillini's presence.

message 5: by Martin Lamb, Head Moderator (new)

We should really watch our choices. But then again there is 'necessary evil'.

message 6: by Paul (new)

Paul Pellicci I know what you mean about necessary evil. If the United States stopped the "necessary evil". we would be in a world war. It is a shame, but we are obligated to it. This brings to mind what the theory is about english speaking peoples. I am referring to The History of the English Speaking Peoples since 1900. The author's theory is that we are more apt for democracy which eliminates tyrants, etc.etc.

message 7: by Martin Lamb, Head Moderator (new)

For me though I believe in an ever evolving society that creaties new tyrants. The world is full of tyrants still. Some are our own people. Tyranny has evolved into a more secretive, behind the scenes form.

message 8: by Paul (new)

Paul Pellicci you hit on an interesting thing. why is it we can't have free medical coverage as a right to citizenship? Why can't all schools be good. why are the upper classes immune from all the equal people at the bottom? because of evil/tyrants of a sort.

message 9: by Martin Lamb, Head Moderator (new)

I agree. We have lobbyist and corrupt public officials. I have read news articles that tell about a female lobbyist giving sexual favors to california state congressmen. The world we live in is tweaked. We give aid to other countries but lack the ability to feed our own people. We give to much aid to certain people to where they live on the Welfare system. But unfortunately that is the world we live in.

message 10: by Martin Lamb, Head Moderator (new)

I am currently reading a book that discusses the reason we are having a tough time fighting todays war. The author puts it on the rules we are bound to follow. We follow the rules but we fight an enemy that does not abide by any rules. It is a very interesting read about the way we should be fighting.

The book is Fighting for the Future Will America Triumph? by Ralph Peters by Ralph Peters

message 11: by Silvana (new)

Silvana (silvaubrey) Martin wrote: "I know the terrain is very mountainous. Look what happened to the Soviets when they invaded, unfortunately we aided Bin Laden back then and look now."

Didn't Alexander the Great once try to invade this region? I read it somewhere. He failed due to the terrain and climate as well.

Kinda reminds me of Russia during the Napoleonic wars and WW II. Both fearsome invaders lost mostly due to natural causes. And the last invader did not learn the past lessons.

Explore World War II and Other Wars

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Fighting for the Future: Will America Triumph? (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Ralph Peters (other topics)