Best Teen Books discussion

Have you read any of these books?

Comments Showing 1-25 of 25 (25 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Julianne (new)

Julianne (jrvastbinder) Ok, so I have a bunch of new books, but I can't decide which one to read next. Below, I posted a list of them, and if you could let me know which are really good, or what order I should read them in, I'd really appreciate it.

-Deadly Little Secret
-Impossible
-Before I Fall
-A Great and Terrible Beauty
-Prophecy of the Sisters

Thanks a bunch!

Angela Sunshine (angelasunshine) I've only read A Great and Terrible Beauty, but didn't care for it. I just pulled Deadly Little Secret off the shelf this morning too!

message 3: by Kellee (new)

Kellee Moye (kelleemoye) I have read Deadly Little Secret and it is a supernatural romance, but different than any I've ever read. I really enjoyed it and gave it 4/5.

message 4: by bjneary (new)

bjneary | 236 comments I LOVED IMPOSSIBLE!!!

message 5: by ★Codie (new)

★Codie Abibliophobic ★ (phobo55) | 1 comments Ok well out of all those books I've only read Impossible, I LOVED it!!!!!!! it is one of the best books I've ever read!!!!!!!!

message 6: by Jackie (new)

Jackie Lawrence (goodreadscomjylawrence) | 14 comments I read Impossible and loved the story and it still haunts me. Prophecy of the Sisters was interesting but I am not sure I will read the sequel. A Great and Terrible Beauty was a struggle to finish through I did enjoy Ms. Bray's Going Bovine.

Angela Sunshine (angelasunshine) Kellee wrote: "I have read Deadly Little Secret and it is a supernatural romance, but different than any I've ever read. I really enjoyed it and gave it 4/5."

I just finished it, and liked the concept a lot. It seemed like there were a few scenes right out of Twilight though... Saved from a car accident in the beginning, silent treatment in class, I like you but can't touch you... I was a bit bummed by the similarities. Which is not to say that I won't read the sequel, because I've already ordered it!

Did you notice the similarities?

message 8: by Kellee (new)

Kellee Moye (kelleemoye) AngelaSunshine wrote: "I just finished it, and liked the concept a lot. It seemed like there were a few scenes right out of Twilight though... Saved from a car accident in the beginning, silent treatment in class, I like you but can't touch you... I was a bit bummed by the similarities. Which is not to say that I won't read the sequel, because I've already ordered it!

Did you notice the similarities?"

Yes, I noticed them as I read the book, but for some reason it didn't bother me- maybe because the characters were so different? *shrug* I am not sure :)

message 9: by Julianne (new)

Julianne (jrvastbinder) Thanks so much everyone for the help! Right now I'm reading Before I Fall, and by the looks of it, I will probably read Impossible or Deadly Little Secret next...maybe... Haha

message 10: by [deleted user] (last edited Mar 25, 2010 07:32PM) (new)

I've read A Great and Terrible Beauty - Libba Bray came to my library once, signed my copy. :)

Kaitlyn Jane Mauro
Author of One Six Billionth
(www.kaitlynjane.wordpress.com)

message 11: by Angela Sunshine (new)

Angela Sunshine (angelasunshine) Kellee wrote: "AngelaSunshine wrote: "I just finished it, and liked the concept a lot. It seemed like there were a few scenes right out of Twilight though... Saved from a car accident in the beginning, silent tre..."

I think Deadly Little Lies helped separate these books from the Twilight series for me. I enjoyed it much more without doing the "comparison" in my head. :-)

message 12: by Angela Sunshine (new)

Angela Sunshine (angelasunshine) Isabel wrote: "I've read before I fall it's REALLY good. I gave it 4/5 stars only because the basic plotline you may have read before, but the twists of this book are great I think you'll really enjoy this book"

I liked the second half of Before I Fall better than the first. I agree that the plot has been done before, but it was unique enough to be good and stand on its own!

message 13: by Kellee (new)

Kellee Moye (kelleemoye) AngelaSunshine wrote: "Kellee wrote: "AngelaSunshine wrote: "I just finished it, and liked the concept a lot. It seemed like there were a few scenes right out of Twilight though... Saved from a car accident in the beginn..."

I agree- it became more of its own in the second book (although I did like the first book better...) I am pretty excited about the third!

message 14: by Brie (new)

Brie | 1 comments Do yourself a favor and read Deadly Little Secret. I had picked up the book because I had loved the Blue is For Nightmares series, I figured in no way could this book measure up but decided to read it anyway.

Honestly, I was blown away. I love the concept and characters and immediately went out and bought the second book. I can definitely pictures these books being an outstanding movie...read it! :)

message 15: by Heather B (new)

Heather B (heatherbenson) I've read Deadly Little Secrets and A Great And Terrible Beauty, I really like bothe of them. I think out of the two A Great and Terrible Beauty was my favourite.

message 16: by Brooke (last edited Apr 05, 2010 03:07PM) (new)

Brooke | 2 comments Before I Fall is brilliant! Definitely worth a read. I'm reading Prophecy of the Sisters at the moment, I'm really enjoying it! Another good (but about a sensitive-issue) book is Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher. I'd definitely recommend picking that up if you haven't read it already.

message 17: by Jen (new)

Jen | 36 comments Brooke - I also loved Thirteen Reasons Why and would highly recommend it as well!

message 18: by Brooke (new)

Brooke | 2 comments :o)

message 19: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (LisaTran) | 5 comments I haven't read any of these but they're are all on my to-read list :)

message 20: by Anna (new)

Anna | 47 comments I really liked Impossible. I would also recommend Thirteen Reasons Why. If you go to Jay Asher's website, you can listen to the thirteen "tapes".

message 21: by Tia (new)

Tia (booknerd1008) A Great and terrible Beauty had a good concept but I didn't like the writing style.I picked up Deadly Little secrets but didn't finish it because it was perverted. I was reading Thirteen Reasons Why but couldn't take it. But I think I'll read Impossible next.

message 22: by Aja (new)

Aja (wonderingwest) I've been an advocate for both Impossible and Before I Fall. They are both different genres, so that might help you decide. Impossible is what you should read if you are in the mood for faeries, dark magic and a more family based book. It does discuss adoption, mental health issues, and have sexual abuse in it. Before I Fall doesn't really have a magical aspect, really, beyond the catalyst for the story. It is almost entirely about the high school/friend experience. I'm familiar with A Great and Terrible Beauty but haven't read it. I believe that has a great deal more magic in it than the other two books.

message 23: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia Asher (CynthiaLilangel) | 9 comments woow thanks for the advice i will have to go and read those books and no i have nto yet it on my to read list i think

message 24: by Kate (new)

Kate Wasn't too impressed with a Great and Terrible Beauty. It's a coming of age book that talks a lot about growing up. I didn't really like the pace of the book and it was all over the place.

message 25: by Nina (new)

Nina | 32 comments I am in the middle of A Great and Terrible Beauty and it's pretty good so far. I'm now somewhere in the middle of the book, and I cannot wait to close my laptop and read further!