Chick Lit Writers discussion

Challenges > April's Challenge

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Cathy (new)

Cathy (cgraceh) | 236 comments Mod
Hi Everyone! We are halfway through March so I thought we'd start thinking ahead and getting people's ideas out there for April's challenge. What do you want to write or practice? Some ideas....

In honor of April Fool's Day on the 1st write a humorous piece in your choice of format....

Write a story/memory/make-believe event/situation that occurs on Easter Sunday....

Use the character you created in your character sketch and put her (or him) in the center of a big family dinner and tell a little story about what happens....

Dialogue...write a short story or a few pages of pure dialogue. See how mcuh characters grow and show themselves through just talking to one another.

Writing Prompts...(to be decided on)...but something like write 500 to 750 words beginning with "You just won the Grammy for Best Album of the year and everything seems like it's falling into place for you. Then you get a call that says.....

More ideas for prompts at these two sites:

http://www.writersdigest.com/WritingP...

Year....http://www.creativewritingprompts.com/#

What other ideas does the group have? Share your thoughts with us and we can decide on a writing challenge or create poll to vote on several ideas.

message 2: by Nicole (new)

Nicole (nicole21) | 14 comments Well, I like the ideas of the family dinner and pages of pure dialogue. Good suggestions!

message 3: by Alicia (new)

Alicia (diva2416) I love dialogue. I wish I could write a book of dialogue....it's that setting and describing people that throw me off :-P

message 4: by Cathy (new)

Hi Everyone -

Just wanted to give you all an update if you are interested in testing your writing skills or practicing some more: In March, we worked on the Character Sketch, getting to know the details that make are character who she (or he) is, what she likes, who she knows, why she acts the way she does, how she thinks about her future, if she is an optimist or a pessimist, etc etc.

For the month of April, we thought we would challenge everyone to take that character you worked on and put her into a short story. You choose how long you wnat it to be. Share with your writing partner or by all means post iit and share with us here! See the above posts for a link to writing prompts that may help you get going on a short story or check out our contests discussion page - there are many many many short story contests - you could use this challenge as an incentive to enter one:)

Look forward to seeing how people make out. Please feel free to share your gripes, frustrations, hurdles, triumphs and attained goals here relative to your work. Good luck!

message 5: by Cathy (new)

Here's a little incentive to get that character from March (or any character) onto paper in a story....

Spring 2010 Flash Fiction Contest

Women on Writing's Quarterly Contest
Open Prompt (Anything you want!!)
750 Words Maximum
250 Words Minimum

Due May 31, 2010; $10 entry fee
First Prize $250 + $25 Amazon GC, Interview on WOW and more!!

See: http://www.wow-womenonwriting.com/con... for all details