Romance, Historical or Otherwise discussion

Spectacular Series > Russian Concubine Series

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mishelle, 'The Book Bag' (new)

Mishelle LaBrash (MsShell) | 1520 comments Mod
I am gonna start this novel, and its sequel next.

The Russian Concubine by Kate Furnivall The Girl from Junchow by Kate Furnivall

Hopefully I have better luck. Anyone else read these?

message 2: by Alycia (new)

Alycia I am torn, I kind of want to read the first one, but the reviews are so mixed. I don't want a dud. =/

message 3: by Mishelle, 'The Book Bag' (new)

Yah, I saw the mixed reviews too. And I hear ya on the 'dud' front. But I went out and bought the bloody things, I better read them. Lol. Besides I have read The Red Scarf by Kate Furnivall and I really liked it. So... same author.. I hold out hope. :)

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

LOL .. The whole "russian thing" gets me luvvvv russia after TBH .. i hear good things about these books .. am very interested to hear what you think .. since i no your a "shura" fan

message 5: by Alycia (new)

Alycia I am interested in what you think too Shell! Or we could group read it sometime :)

message 6: by Mishelle, 'The Book Bag' (new)

Alycia wrote: "I am interested in what you think too Shell! Or we could group read it sometime :)"

I like the group read idea...

message 7: by Alycia (new)

Alycia Let me know... April is filled up with other challenges. I can do may.

message 8: by Mishelle, 'The Book Bag' (new)

Alycia wrote: "Let me know... April is filled up with other challenges. I can do may."

Lmao, Im easy, and open. I try to stay away from too many challenges, (you may note I may decline invites.. I'm not a snot.. I swear) I just find it gets too much sometimes, (and if I'm being honest, I am not the most avid of rule followers.) :)

message 9: by Alycia (new)

Alycia HAHA! Sure ;)
Yeah, I am becoming a challenge junky however I decided I probably will not do any this summer so I can be flexible in what I want to read and I don't get too loaded down. I don't just do 1 challenge i do 4 in one month.

I do hope you are still going to read "And then he kissed her" with us!!!

message 10: by Mishelle, 'The Book Bag' (new)

Alycia wrote: "HAHA! Sure ;)
Yeah, I am becoming a challenge junky however I decided I probably will not do any this summer so I can be flexible in what I want to read and I don't get too loaded down. I don't jus..."

Oh... Absoloutly.. I have it, waiting, ready to go. Remind me when it's time though. I get distracted easily... :)

message 11: by Alycia (new)

Alycia Ok, not a problem.

message 12: by Alycia (new)

Alycia Shell wrote: "I am gonna start this novel, and its sequel next.

The Russian Concubine by Kate FurnivallThe Girl from Junchow by Kate Furnivall

Hopefully I have better luck. Anyone else read these?"

Shell, I am thinking about reading this one after I finish Addicted. I may read it simultaneously with ATHKH. I bought it yesterday and already peeked into it. Let me know if you want to read it with me, then I'll start a thread here in the book discussion section.

message 13: by Mishelle, 'The Book Bag' (new)

Alycia wrote: "Shell wrote: "I am gonna start this novel, and its sequel next.

The Russian Concubine by Kate FurnivallThe Girl from Junchow by Kate Furnivall

Hopefully I have better luck. Anyone else read ..."

Definatly. Sounds great. I am not able to read two books at once, so I'll start it after ATHKH, It wont take me long to read it.

message 14: by Alycia (new)

Alycia Ok, sounds good to me. I hear you on reading more than one book at once. I can, because I have book add, but it does take me longer to finish them.

message 15: by Leea (new)

Leea Shell wrote: "Yah, I saw the mixed reviews too. And I hear ya on the 'dud' front. But I went out and bought the bloody things, I better read them. Lol. Besides I have read The Red Scarf by Kate Furnivall and I..."

I loved the Red Scarf and the Russian Concubine was okay... i just want to read the next book to find out what happened. Did you ever finish the series?

message 16: by Mishelle, 'The Book Bag' (new)

I LOVED The Red Scarf~ I haven't read The Russian Concubine yet~ I started with The Jewel of St Peterberg and wsn't overly impressed.

message 17: by Leea (new)

Leea oh yeah i have that one to... I really liked the red scarf and was let down by the russian concubine... i picked it for our book club - felt really bad. Thanks for you input!

message 18: by Rea (new)

Rea Russian Concubine was my first by this author. I'm not tempted to try her other titles. I can't put my finger on exactly what put me off about it. I think it might be that a huge chunk of the book felt like boring filler. Also, the scene with the rabbit traumatised me so much I had to stop reading, go downstairs and force my rabbit to submit to a cuddle.

message 19: by Mishelle, 'The Book Bag' (new)

Lol... The Red Scarf was very good Rea... I fear she may be one of those one hit wonder authors though.

message 20: by Leea (new)

Leea Yeah i second that about the Red Scarf... I read it after reading the bronze horseman series... By no means is it anything like that but i does have some of the same themes and you can relate to the people living under communism.