Explore World War II and Other Wars discussion

American Civil War > Leaders of the Period

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Martin Lamb, Head Moderator (new)

Martin Lamb | 212 comments Mod
Who were the great leaders during this era?

message 2: by Martin Lamb, Head Moderator (new)

Here is a book on Lincoln.

Tried by War Abraham Lincoln as Commander in Chief by James M. McPherson James M. McPherson

Description:
"Though Abraham Lincoln arrived at the White House with no previous military experience, he quickly established himself as the greatest commander in chief in American history. James McPherson illuminates this often misunderstood and profoundly influential aspect of Lincoln's legacy." "Lincoln was a self-taught military strategist, which makes his adroit conduct of the war seem almost miraculous. To be sure, the Union's campaigns often went awry, sometimes horribly so, but McPherson makes clear how the missteps arose from the all-too-common moments when Lincoln could neither threaten nor cajole his commanders to follow his orders." As we approach the bicentennial of Lincoln's birth in 2009, this book provides a genuinely novel, even timely, view of the most written-about figure in our history. Tried by War offers a revelatory portrait of leadership during the greatest crisis our nation has ever endured. How Lincoln overcame feckless generals, fickle public opinion, and his own paralyzing fears is a story at once suspenseful and inspiring.

message 3: by Paul (new)

Paul Pellicci Team of Rivals The Political Genius of Abraham Lincoln by Doris Kearns Goodwin

This is the book I read and was quite satisfying. It gives you Lincoln's early life right through his political campagnes. He was a good politician, manipulating the variables and winning the Presedency. He was very polite and didn't like to push since he himself was pushed as a young man.

message 4: by Martin Lamb, Head Moderator (new)

Interesting thanks for sharing that with us Paul.

message 5: by Paul (last edited Mar 30, 2010 06:05AM) (new)

Paul Pellicci One very surprising battle of the Civil War was the battle for Norfork Naval yards and the Merramack.

Lincoln and a group of his secretaries and generals took a treasury ship to the harbor by night. They wondered why McClellan didn't attack because of confederate partial troop withdrawl would have made it easy.

Lincoln ordered bombardment of the harbor emmediatly.

Lincoln, personally took a row boat to the enemy land and scouted the best location for his troops to land.

The battle was a success.

Civil War historian Shelby Foote has called it "one of the strangest small-scale campaigns in American military history."

Treasury Secretary Chase said, "So has ended a brilliant week's campaign of the President, for I think it quite certain that if he had not come down, Norfolk would still have been in possession of the enemy, the Merrimac, as grim and defiant and as much a terror as ever. The whole coast is now virtually ours."

message 6: by Martin Lamb, Head Moderator (new)

That is some good leadership there. Lead from the front in my opinion is the best leadership.

message 7: by Silvana (new)

Silvana (silvaubrey) I almost know nothing about the Civil War so mind my ignorance...

So Lincoln actually fought in the war? Like in the front? *confused*