Chicks On Lit discussion

Challenges

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Elizabeth (Alaska) In a previous life (that is, before CoL), I was a member of group that had a seasonal challenge. It became more complex and took on a life of its own. As I recall, there were about 10 categories for different "points". The points were sort of like those in the TV comedy Whose Line is It Anyway - they really didn't mean anything. But I liked the concept, because I read books I might never have picked up otherwise and would love to see something similar here. Here are some ideas, and I'm going to choose 4 books that fit this challenge between now and the end of June. If you like the idea, tell us which book you read that fit which category.

1. In Honor Of Women’s History Month…
- Read an autobiography/biography of a woman you admire OR
- A novel with one of the following in the title (woman, women, lady, ladies, female, feminine, girl, girls, maiden, madame).

2. In honor of father’s day, - Read a book where the author/main character shares the same FIRST name as your father OR…
- Read a book recommended by/given to you by your father.

3. In honor of Earth Day (April 22) read a book with the word Earth, Moon, Sun, World, Star or one of the other planets (Mercury, Venus, Mars, Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus, Neptune) in the title.

4. Read a book whose author was born in March, April, May or June. (Help for this: http://www.authdir.net/ )

5. Read a book whose setting is in the place of your ancestors. (You choose the ancestors, so this could be wide open for many.)

6. Read a book originally published in the first half of the 20th Century.

message 2: by Cindy (new)

Cindy (cyndil62) | 1774 comments What a great idea Elizabeth! So you're going to choose 4 books by June and then are you going to set a deadline for yourself to read them?
I'll give it some thought and try to figure out books for each of the categories.

message 3: by Elizabeth (Alaska) (last edited Mar 13, 2010 04:29PM) (new)

Elizabeth (Alaska) I'm going to choose 4 books to read, and my deadline to read them is the end of June. Close to one a month, and leaves me time to slip in club reads and other reading.

Elizabeth (Alaska) OK, I've made my choices.

1. The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (Girl in the title)
2. Bridge of Sighs (father's name was Richard)
3. The Good Earth (Earth in the title)
4. The Bingo Palace (Louise Erdrich was born June 7, 1954)
5. The View from Castle Rock (a double! starts in Scotland and then immigrants to Canada, just as some of my ancestors did)
6. Howards End (first published in 1910)

message 5: by Smitha (new)

Smitha (embeddedinbooks) | 4853 comments The Good Earth is one of my favourite books. I feel like reading it again.

message 6: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca Good choice with Good Earth. I really enjoyed it.