Ecclesiastical Thrillers discussion

Historical Clerical Mysteries

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Donna (new)

Donna Crow | 25 comments Mod
Jan mentioned her interest in historicals. Of course, that brings to mind Brother Cadfael. And there is a series about a medieval nun, I believe, but I can't think of her name. What are some of your favorite historicals, especially with the clerical element? Do you have a favorite time period?

message 2: by Sheila (new)

Sheila Beaumont (sheilabeaumont) I haven't read many historical ecclesiastical mysteries except for the Brother Cadfael series, which I adore. P.C. Doherty, Susanna Gregory, Margaret Fraser, and Michael Jecks are all authors I've heard good things about. Peter Tremayne's Sister Fidelma series, about a Celtic nun and legal advocate in seventh-century Ireland, sounds especially interesting. Has anyone tried any of these?

message 3: by Donna (new)

Susanna Gregory is on my TBR list. A Cambridge PhD and a former Yorkshire police officer, Gregory must know her stuff. I've noticed that her reviews all give her top marks for historical accuracy.

Yes, Sister Fidelma was the nun I was trying to think of. I haven't read Tremayne, but a friend of mine recommends him highly.

I hope some of our other discussers can recommend some specific titles. This is a favorite sub-genre of mine, but oh--there's never enough time!

message 4: by Donna (new)

If there's a way to send a message to our group other than through one of the discussion topics, I don't know how to do it. But, fortunately, this fits right here under Ecclesiastical Historical Mysteries anyway. I just read a rave review of Melvin Starr's UNQUIET BONES on the DorothyL listserve and have added it to our bookshelf. I haven't read it yet myself, but plan to do so soon. Have any of you read it?

message 5: by Sheila (new)

Sheila Beaumont (sheilabeaumont) Donna wrote: "If there's a way to send a message to our group other than through one of the discussion topics, I don't know how to do it. But, fortunately, this fits right here under Ecclesiastical Historical M..."

Sounds good! I'll be interested to know what you think of it. I have too many TBRs to add any more right now.