lois duncan rox!!! discussion

Is "horror" the right category?

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lois (last edited Mar 13, 2010 07:41AM) (new)

Lois Duncan | 25 comments Since being informed by a friend that this group is about my own books, I felt I needed to join it, because I can add some insights to the discussions. But I'm startled to find it listed under "horror." I'm not a female Stephen King. I write suspense novels. The "horror" comes when those novels get turned into movies and the script writer injects an insane fisherman with an ice hook (who isn't in my book) and sets him to work decapitating my characters.

Lol...Naruto Rocks! (Katelyn, Haku.) | 11 comments I agree...it's more suspense.

message 3: by Fiona (new)

Fiona (ehmaybelater) my friends and i LOVED I Know What You Did Last Summer, and we died when we saw the trailer. It was so unlike the book, it was funny!

message 4: by Lois (new)

Lois Duncan | 25 comments When a production company options a story, the author loses all control. Hollywood takes over, and the script writer can change "the property" in any way he chooses. I had no idea my book was being turned into a slasher film until I went to the theater, (buying my ticket just like everybody else), and sat down to watch it. The lights dimmed and there was a scenic view of the ocean. How could that be? My story was laid in New Mexico. Then a fisherman with an ice hook appeared on the screen. He wasn't in my book. By now I was starting to think I'd walked into the wrong theater by mistake. But, no -- up came the title -- I KNOW WHAT YOU DID LAST SUMMER. I was bewildered. Who was that fisherman, and what was he going to do with that ice hook?

Well, I soon found out. He was going to decapitate my characters. Heads flew off, blood spurted, the audience screamed, I SCREAMED -- I was so horrified I couldn't even open my popcorn. The first thing I did when I staggered out of the theater was phone my married daughter, Kerry, and tell her, "Don't let my grandchildren see it!"

So, never, NEVER judge a book by the movie. Usually they have little, if anything, in common.

message 5: by Fiona (new)

Fiona (ehmaybelater) I think that books should stay books. take Ink Heart. there was NOTHING that was the same in the movie.

message 6: by Lois (new)

Lois Duncan | 25 comments Hollywood runs by its own rules. The main motivation is money. Will that film draw enough fans to generate income? There's also the expense of production. If it's cheaper to film in one part of the country than another, the locale gets changed to that area, which, in turn, influences the plot. And what about the actors, who are the main "draws" for the audience? With Hotel for Dogs, they wanted a teenage cutie, Emma Roberts, so they could have a little romance going. So they changed my heroine's age from 10 to 16.

It's all business.

message 8: by Fiona (new)

Fiona (ehmaybelater) My friend Milica said that she loves your books

Lol...Naruto Rocks! (Katelyn, Haku.) | 11 comments I love your books too.

message 10: by Lois (new)

Lois Duncan | 25 comments Thanks to you all. (I guess you would have to like them or you wouldn't be on this Web site.) Don't you think someone should start a new topic going so we don't appear to the world to be a One Trick Pony?

message 12: by Lois (new)

Lois Duncan | 25 comments Hi, Milica,

MOVIE FOR DOGS, the third book in the HOTEL FOR DOGS trilogy, will be published by Scholastic this coming June. (The second book, NEWS FOR DOGS, was published in 2009.) That's humor for 8-12-yr-olds.

The book I am currently working on is titled THE TALLY KEEPER, and is a sequel to WHO KILLED MY DAUGHTER?, which was my adult, non-fiction book about our family's personal on-going investigation of the murder of our teenage daughter, Kaitlyn Arquette. It contains all the new information we have unearthed since that first book was published. The Web site about Kait's case is at http://www.kaitarquette.arquettes.com.

Sasori No Danna  | 11 comments OMG! I CAN'T WAIT!

Sasori No Danna  | 11 comments I know....

message 15: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia (cynthiavargas) | 19 comments yes!

message 16: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (shewholovesthesmellofbooks) | 2 comments Your books are definitely suspense, not horror, because they inspire a more primal type of fear than fear of monsters - it is the fear of both the unknown and of what is going to happen next. It's the feeling of a frisson, or even of a gradually building sense of dread - often strangely combined with fascination rather than abject fear. You don't need gore. :) Your books are more than great without it.