Preludes & Nocturnes (The Sandman #1) Preludes & Nocturnes discussion

A question regarding the Sandman series

Comments (showing 1-9 of 9) (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lynn (new)

Lynn What is the difference between the indivdual sandman series like this one, and the book "absolute sandman"?
I have the latter and not the former, and reading through it, I think there's some difference. . . should I be reading both?

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

No, you do not need to read both. The 'Absolute Edition' collects many volumes together with many extras. When I mean by many, it is a lot. You can expect 2-3 volumes together with many of the original material which is not in the normal books.

You do not NEED to get it. But if you are a collector of original materials and love extras, this is will be worth it.

message 3: by Lynn (new)

Lynn Thank you :). I got the 'Absolute Sandman' from the library and have read it already. Thanks for answering my question.

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

You are most welcome.
Glad that I've helped.

Katie What kind of extras are in the 'Absolute'? I'm currently reading the volumes and so far I absolutely love the series. Does the 'Absolute' include extra scenes or something that didn't make it into the volumes?

message 6: by Sam (last edited Nov 20, 2012 11:20AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sam Thielman Absolute also has several short stories that Neil Gaiman wrote for various anthologies and annuals at Vertigo. At least one of them ("The Flowers of Romance") is absolutely indispensable to understanding "The Song of Orpheus" and by extension the climax of "Brief Lives" and the animosity between Dream and Desire throughout the whole series. I really wish DC would do a little, normal-trim-size book collecting all the ancillary Sandman material so that collectors could read the entire story.

Hard-to-find stories reprinted in the Absolute Editions of The Sandman and Death:

—The Flowers of Romance (Desire—John Bolton)
—How They Met Themselves (Desire—Michael Zulli)
—The Last Sandman Story (Dream—Dave McKean)
—The Wheel (Death—Chris Bachalo)
—A Winter's Tale (Death—Chris Bachalo)
—Death Talks About Life (very funny PSA featuring Death and John Constantine—Dave McKean)
—The Sandman Midnight Theater (Dream—Teddy Kristiansen. Terrific crossover story co-written with Matt Wagner)

All the Death stories are reprinted in both "The Compleat Death" and "The Absolute Death" (the latter has pics of merch and some script pages but certainly nothing worth shelling out more than double the price of "Compleat"), and "The Sandman Midnight Theater" is reprinted in "Neil Gaiman's Midnight Days."

Katie Awesome, thanks for the info!

message 8: by Mike (new)

Mike Trevors Only thread, but, wanted to ask. How did you find reading them? They look so big, I think it might be a pain to actually read them. True? Thoughts? I've read the series before but I plan on re-reading it as I no longer have them. Well, I do, but, they are buried somewhere. :)

Ilinca Damian yea, they look big because they were issued between 1989 and 1996 (or some year close to that) so Gaiman created an entire universe in these years. But they re sooo catchy you can't even stop :)) yea, you get phisically tired at some point, but they're worth it. I'm sure you'll like them!

all discussions on this book | post a new topic

Books mentioned in this topic

Preludes & Nocturnes (other topics)