UNC Middle School Lit discussion

The Golden Compass

Comments Showing 1-24 of 24 (24 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Madison (new)

Madison Pinkowski | 12 comments If you had a daemon, what would it be (in its fixed form)? Why?

message 2: by Brittany (new)

Brittany (bnleake) | 9 comments A cat, because I often compare myself to a cat anyway: I'm shy, yet affectionate, playful, curious, and enjoy being alone.

message 3: by Elaine (new)

Elaine Utin | 12 comments Golden retriever: loyal, gentle, pleasant, and confident.

message 4: by Stacey (new)

Stacey | 11 comments I found a quiz online, so I took that to see if it was accurate:

Your TIGER DAEMON shows an unmistakable aura of pride, resilience, and aggression. Your balance of impatience and inspiration make you a creative leader, although you are prone to dangerous extremes.

Not so sure if this is me or not, but I thought it was interesting...

Here is the site if anyone wants:
http://quizilla.teennick.com/quizzes/...

message 5: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth | 12 comments Here were my results:

Your HARE DAEMON represents your passive, kindhearted, and honorable nature. Though you are occasionally shy with new people, friends admire your unshakable tranquility, even in the face of chaos.

Though I would not have really thought of a rabbit, I think the description is pretty accurate, but I wouldn't call myself very shy.

message 6: by Alexandra (new)

Alexandra (alexandrapappas) | 10 comments This is what the quiz told me....

Your WOLF DAEMON shows that you are solitary, ferocious, and often intimidating, but not without your sufficient loyalty and poise. People tend to misunderstand you, but you prefer your own company, anyway.

Loyalty and poise, maybe.. not sure about ferocious and intimidating haha

message 7: by Natalie (new)

Natalie | 15 comments I'm about to take the quiz to see what it would say. Before I take it though, I would say that I might have a dolphin daemon. The only drawback would be that I can't leave the water. Unless I was a witch.... I love the ocean and beach. I am playful, and admire their elegance. They are some of the most intelligent animals. They are definitely my favorite animal. I don't really like birds because they aren't cuddly, but I could also see my daemon being an eagle. They are solitary, graceful, mate for life, and yet are free to fly where they want.
Anyway, the quiz says...

Your Result

Your HARE DAEMON represents your passive, kindhearted, and honorable nature. Though you are occasionally shy with new people, friends admire your unshakable tranquility, even in the face of chaos.

Eh, this works too...

:) Great thread! Most interesting one so far!

message 8: by Jamie (new)

Jamie | 13 comments Love Love Love this topic!! :)

Before I took the quiz I would also have said that I was a probably a Golden Retriever or a Panda Bear but the results were...

Your EAGLE DAEMON represents an unlikely combination of fierce pride and remarkable wisdom. Though widely admired, you can be very distant at times, and like to stay out of people's personal lives.

I dont know how much I agree with this but the quiz was fun and interesting!
cant wait for the discussion Thursday!

message 9: by Brittany (new)

Brittany (bnleake) | 9 comments Just thought I'd add that I took the quiz and it says my daemon would be a Wolf:

Your WOLF DAEMON shows that you are solitary, ferocious, and often intimidating, but not without your sufficient loyalty and poise. People tend to misunderstand you, but you prefer your own company, anyway.

I could see that. Wolves are almost as awesome as cats.

message 10: by Katie (new)

Katie B. | 13 comments I thought I would have been a hare daemon, but apparently I'm a monkey.

"Your MONKEY DAEMON represents a nature that is admired, detail-oriented, and full of curiosity. Some people might call you self-absorbed. You like to plan ahead, and hone your various talents to perfection."

I don't know about the self-absorbed part but hey, monkeys are fun. :)

message 11: by Holli (new)

Holli Jacobs | 8 comments So these are my results...

I'm not sure about "unshakable tranquility, even in the face of chaos." but this works :)

message 12: by Beth (new)

Beth Wright | 12 comments So my results are:
Your MONKEY DAEMON represents a nature that is admired, detail-oriented, and full of curiosity. Some people might call you self-absorbed. You like to plan ahead, and hone your various talents to perfection.

I'm not so sure about the "self-absorbed" part but alrighty! haha. Monkeys are one of my favorite animals!

message 13: by Lindsey (new)

Lindsey Hensler | 11 comments After taking the quiz, it was determined that I have an Eagle Daemon. This daemon represents an unlikely combination of fierce pride and remarkable wisdom. Apparently, I am widely admired but can be distant at times. This result was obtained by 9% of quiz takers.

I would mostly agree with this result. At the end, it also mentioned that I like to stay out of others' personal lives; I am not so sure how accurate that is.

message 14: by Crystal (new)

Crystal Davis | 8 comments The quiz told me...

Your EAGLE DAEMON represents an unlikely combination of fierce pride and remarkable wisdom. Though widely admired, you can be very distant at times, and like to stay out of people's personal lives.

I think the description is pretty acurate, although that would not have been my pick before I took the quiz. I probably would have said a dog, like a lab or golden retriever.

message 15: by Patricia (new)

Patricia | 15 comments This is a really hard question for me! There are so many animals that I really like!

One of the characters mentioned that his daemon was a seagull. I really like that idea because I love birds and I love the beach! I am petrified of heights, but I guess that my daemon would be flying, not me.

The quiz said that my daemon would be a hare.

message 16: by Lizzy (new)

Lizzy | 10 comments Well, I somewhat disagree with the quiz... but, it says mine would be a tiger. I was thinking something a little less ferocious, more like a house cat or something... but maybe a tiger would be cool?

I found the daemon's so interesting, love this topic.

message 17: by Jenna (new)

Jenna Barto | 7 comments So I got hare...

I definitely don't think this is inaccurate but not totally right either...

message 18: by Janey (new)

Janey Elmore | 15 comments Jenna I got HARE too!

...I wouldnt say I am shy with new people, however I do think part is right because I can play it calm in stressful situations.

message 19: by Andi (new)

Andi Gardner | 7 comments Your WOLF DAEMON shows that you are solitary, ferocious, and often intimidating, but not without your sufficient loyalty and poise. People tend to misunderstand you, but you prefer your own company, anyway.

If I could choose my own - it would be a white tiger daemon. Still has some of the same characteristics of a wolf...but with added grace and beauty (I'm a HUGE white tiger fan...haha)

message 20: by Diana (new)

Diana | 7 comments Your MONKEY DAEMON represents a nature that is admired, detail-oriented, and full of curiosity. Some people might call you self-absorbed. You like to plan ahead, and hone your various talents to perfection.

I hate monkeys.. they bite. However, I'm a perfectionist and probably a LITTLE self absorbed :) ha

message 21: by Julie (new)

Julie (juliejustice) | 5 comments Mod
Your MONKEY DAEMON represents a nature that is admired, detail-oriented, and full of curiosity. Some people might call you self-absorbed. You like to plan ahead, and hone your various talents to perfection.

But that's not what I would have said.. I knew as soon as they got on the ship that I would have a water-loving daemon... Not a seagull (too weathered and tough) and not so much a dolphin; I'm thinking maybe a whale: honorable, thoughtful (I imagine whales are thoughtful), fun and playful (what with all the breaching and whathaveyou), and I think loyal, and talking all the time. And that would mean that the actual me would always have to be near the water.

message 22: by Amber (new)

Amber Hicks | 4 comments I got Hare too...weird...may be the first time in my life I have ever come close to being referred to as passive..haha.

message 23: by Kristin (new)

Kristin (kmhardin) | 14 comments My daemon's a hare too according to the quiz.
But I think that my daemon would be a short, cute giraffe :) no idea why, just trying to be different. And I do think they're kind of cute. They seem pretty peaceful and easygoing chewing on leaves and walking around. That could be me :)

message 24: by Caley (new)

Caley Booth | 7 comments "Your MONKEY DAEMON represents a nature that is admired, detail-oriented, and full of curiosity. Some people might call you self-absorbed. You like to plan ahead, and hone your various talents to perfection"

first, I HATE MONKEYS... second i dont want to be self centered! apparently i have some things i need to work on to score a better fitting daemon..... ill get back to you