Terminalcoffee discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Feeling Nostalgic? The archives > Books about Food

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments What books about food can you recommend? Not cookbooks, really, but books about food. Two immediately come to mind:

Anthony Bourdain's awesome Kitchen Confidential...about his path to becoming a chef and how kitchens work behind the scenes.

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/33...

Steve Almond's Candyfreak is fun, too...mostly about small town candy companies and the candy industry in general...

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/50...

More recommendations?

(By the way, I'm putting this thread in "food" rather than "books". Does that make sense? A ruling from the committee?)

message 2: by janine (new)

janine | 7715 comments i recommend you stay away from tongue: a novel, the ending will spoil your appetite.

message 3: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia Paschen | 7073 comments Anything by the late great Laurie Colwin.

message 4: by Sally, la reina (new)

Sally (mrsnolte) | 17320 comments Mod
Things by Ruth Reichel.

She's got a great way with describing food she cooks, eating and drinking enjoyably, she hangs with cool foodies, and writes reviews for hoity toity papers.

Comfort me with Apples and the Sapphire one are great. However, after four or five she tells the same stories and has a bit of an ego complex. If you can't tell I OD'd on her and now find her annoying.

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments I like Calvin Trillin's books. He was a food writer and humorist, and was a writer for the New Yorker.

He wrote about food and travel, and the three main books he wrote on the subject are collected in The Tummy Trilogy, which includes American Fried, Alice, Let's Eat, and Third Helpings.

message 6: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments Animal, Vegetable, Miracle: A Year of Food Life, particularly for the turkey sex and the excellent descriptions of tomatoes. Some people say it's too preachy, but I just like Kingsolver's writing.

And I second Candyfreak.

I have Bourdain's second book but haven't read it yet.

message 7: by Youndyc (new)

Youndyc | 1255 comments The Debt to Pleasure was an interesting take on a book about food - and psychopathology.
The Debt to Pleasure: A Novel

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.