Stephen King Fans discussion

Recommendations > NEED A QUICK KING

Comments Showing 1-50 of 74 (74 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by ★ Jess (new)

★ Jess  | 49 comments hi every one!
I am 14 years old and have already read ROSE MADDER, CARRIE and THE GIRL WHO LOVED TOM GORDON.
I am looking for a really good, (not too long) stephan King book to read.
Suggestions?

message 2: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) The Shining is a good one, or The Green Mile. :)

message 3: by Mary (new)

Mary (madamefifi) The Dead Zone is (relatively) short and is one of my favorites.

message 4: by Ethan (last edited Mar 13, 2010 04:24AM) (new)

Ethan (eets80) | 4 comments I would have to agree with Becky. If you're just starting out (which it seems as though you are), The Green Mile is a good, not-too-long, King read.

Lynne - The Book Squirrel (squirrelsend) Try The Green Mile in the 6 part series of books. Or try Colorado Kid

message 6: by Lynne (last edited Mar 13, 2010 06:09AM) (new)

Lynne Hi Lynne, it's rare to see someone w/an e on the end of Lynn, so how are ya?

Lynne - The Book Squirrel (squirrelsend) Hello fellow Lynne with an e! Yes it is rare to find the E lynne's! I am fine thanks! Getting ready for a party tonight actually! Just hope I can stay awake as I have just finished a few nights with not much sleep!

ps Don't you just hate it if they spell your name wrong even after you have told them or they have it in front of them? Aaarrrggghhhh!

message 8: by Lynne (new)

Lynne I HATE that! You tell then hey, my name has an E on the end and next time its the same, or ssdd!

message 9: by Jessi (new)

Jessi (jessibee) | 10 comments Booklover23 wrote: "hi every one!
I am 14 years old and have already read ROSE MADDER, CARRIE and THE GIRL WHO LOVED TOM GORDON.
I am looking for a really good, (not too long) stephan King book to read.
Suggesti..."

Why does the book have to be short? If you want to be a King fan, you have to read them all. But if you insist on short, try the short stories in Skeleton Crew and Night Shift.

But, since you're just starting out, I would start from the very beginning and read each book in succession. His earliest books, even though made into movies, are definitely worth it (if you haven't seen the movies, don't. Read the books first). Try Carrie, Cujo, The Dead Zone, and The Shining. Pet Sematary is also an excellent starter.

message 10: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) Everyone has their own style and everyone reads differently. I love and prefer longer books, but she's 14 and probably has a lot of school and social obligations or something. *shrug*

At least she's reading King, right? :D

message 11: by Hazel (new)

Hazel (zelly) | 5 comments I really enjoy any of his short story collections and you can just read a story here and there and not worry about having any long breaks in the middle of a good story. I hate that! Also, Different Seasons has the story The Body in it(which the movie Stand by Me was made from) and I really enjoyed that one. Good luck, its always good to see younger fans! :)

message 12: by Maciek (new)

Maciek (pan_maciej) | 198 comments Good and short King ? Try "The Running Man". As he himself states it's pure story with everything else cheerfully thrown aside. Highly entertaning, and can be read in a couple of hours.

message 13: by Jessi (new)

Jessi (jessibee) | 10 comments Or The Long Walk. That's an excellent short book!

message 14: by Emma (new)

Emma Audsley (emmaaudsley) | 25 comments Check out Nightmares & Dreamscapes & Everythings Eventual- you'll find all you need there!!!!

message 15: by Stella (new)

Stella The Eyes of the Dragon would be a good one for you to try. Not too long. :)

message 16: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie Skelton (steph_77) I really liked Cell - if you like zombie - 28 days later - type stuff... really creepy, really entertaining. 'Salem's Lot is fantastic, too... all of them are!!

message 17: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) I diagree... I love zombies and 28 Days Later and all of those, but I thought that Cell was disappointing.
:(

message 18: by Maciek (new)

Maciek (pan_maciej) | 198 comments I thought Cell was awesome. Pure apocalyptic entertainment. It's no The Stand, but still a great read.

message 19: by Kandice (new)

Kandice | 4050 comments I liked Cell too. It was NOT highbrow literature (what King is?) but I felt it was entertaining, a little scary and a quick read.

message 20: by Maciek (new)

Maciek (pan_maciej) | 198 comments Kandice wrote: "highbrow literature (what King is?)"

Hearts in Atlantis. I can't praise this book often enough.
It's like Catcher in the Rye to me.

message 21: by Kandice (new)

Kandice | 4050 comments Weeeeellll. I admit Hearts is one of his more tighly written and serious books, but I guess when I think of "highbrow", I think of all the work it feels like to read it. I have never felt like I was "working" to read a single offerring of King's. I have never turned the last page of one of his books feeling like I just didn't get it. I've certainly done that with a few classics:D

message 22: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) Maciek wrote: "I thought Cell was awesome. Pure apocalyptic entertainment. It's no The Stand, but still a great read."

Nah... It started out awesome, and then just fell apart. :(

message 23: by Maciek (new)

Maciek (pan_maciej) | 198 comments Kandice wrote: "Weeeeellll. I admit Hearts is one of his more tighly written and serious books, but I guess when I think of "highbrow", I think of all the work it feels like to read it. I have never felt like I was "working" to read a single offerring of King's. I have never turned the last page of one of his books feeling like I just didn't get it. I've certainly done that with a few classics:D"

That's because King is better than all the classics. He's the King after all ! ;)

Becky wrote: "Maciek wrote: "I thought Cell was awesome. Pure apocalyptic entertainment. It's no The Stand, but still a great read."

Nah... It started out awesome, and then just fell apart. :("

I agree, the end is a bit abrupt, but still - it's Steve King ! you don't talk bad about King, or the boogeyman will come to eat you.
(or the Crazy Mangler)

The abrupt ending is actually quite good. It reminded me of Pynchon's "Lot 49"and King's own story "The Finger".

message 24: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) I don't talk bad about King. I talk bad about Cell, LOL. It just... was not up to his usual standard.

It was not just the abrupt ending, it was the ridiculous intellectual "zombies". Sorry, I like my zombies vicious and relentless and hungry. These maybe weren't true "zombies" but neither are the "zombies" in 28 Days Later, and those were still scary. The whatever-they-weres in Cell were just... not. At least not after the initial Rage-pages.

message 25: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) Granted, Cell is on my re-read list for this year. Maybe I'll think better of it a second time around... maybe.

message 26: by Maciek (new)

Maciek (pan_maciej) | 198 comments The intelectual Zombies were easy to swallow for me after accepting the idea of a virus spreading via a cellphone ;)

The only King novel I can recall which deals with Zombies in some way is Pet Sematary.

message 27: by Becky (last edited Mar 15, 2010 09:26AM) (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) See, I didn't see it as a "virus" at all. I saw it as a insanity-inducing brain-spike tone. Like how hearing slow nails on a chalk-board makes me homicidal, only in one quick shot rather than drawn out, and irreversible.

So once they started kind of evolving, the story just fell apart for me. I wanted the rage and chaos to continue!

Yes, Pet Sematary is really the only "true" zombie story King's written that I know of. Although, does he have any in an anthology? I'll have to check on that.

message 28: by Kandice (new)

Kandice | 4050 comments I think the reason I had no problem accepting the intelectual zombies is that I didn't come to the book looking for zombies. I just took them as what he wrote. I like zombie movies as much as the next guy, but my favorite will always be Night of the Living Dead and that's not what I expected.

I kind of felt the end was a little like the end of The Mist. I get a little irritated when I don't get the closure I want, but the more I read the more I can accept it's lack.

message 29: by Becky (last edited Mar 15, 2010 09:34AM) (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) I didn't go into it expecting zombies either... but as soon as the Pulse hit, and the chaos began, it reminded me a LOT of 28 Days Later, and then I expected it to go accordingly. When it didn't go the way that I expected, or even in a logical progression, I was disappointed.

I don't know why I should be... King's books rarely go the way I expect them to, but this one bothered me. It just didn't feel... real and true, like all his other books do. I love King for letting the story go where it will, and for writing the STORY not writing his PLAN, you know, but this one just felt... like it didn't belong.

One of these things is not like the other... One of these things just doesn't belong...

The Overlook Hotel
The Walkin' Dude
Christine
Zombielectuals

message 30: by Maciek (new)

Maciek (pan_maciej) | 198 comments Becky wrote: "See, I didn't see it as a "virus" at all. I saw it as a insanity-inducing brain-spike tone. Like how hearing slow nails on a chalk-board makes me homicidal, only in one quick shot rather than drawn out, and irreversible.

So once they started kind of evolving, the story just fell apart for me. I wanted the rage and chaos to continue! "

I thought of it as a virus, intentionally spread by someone from somewhere, so all the intelligence made sense. It was sort of a remote control.

Becky wrote: "Yes, Pet Sematary is really the only "true" zombie story King's written that I know of. Although, does he have any in an anthology? I'll have to check on that."

Check out "Home Delivery" from "Nightmares & Dreamscapes". It should appeal to you.

message 31: by Maciek (new)

Maciek (pan_maciej) | 198 comments Becky wrote: "One of these things is not like the other... One of these things just doesn't belong...

The Overlook Hotel
The Walkin' Dude
Christine
Zombielectuals "

I nominate Christine...she's a car !

message 32: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) Maciek wrote: "I nominate Christine...she's a car !"

The Overlook is a hotel! LOL

message 33: by Tom (new)

Tom Mueller | 305 comments I agree with those who suggested LynnE read King in chronological order, as written. You'll get top see how he has developed as a writer, and get to meet some of his characters as they're first introduced. Know that some of those characters will make surprise visits in later books!
I did that (as they came out actually). I thoroughly enjoyed the experience and would recommend it for anyone!
Until The Stand, they're shorter and quicker reads.

message 34: by Maciek (new)

Maciek (pan_maciej) | 198 comments But the overlook shows signs of personality...and Christine's still a car ! LOL

message 35: by Kandice (new)

Kandice | 4050 comments Tom, I also read his books as they were and are published, but for someone new to him...I'm not sure. I think he got pigeonholed with his first 3 books, so reading them in order will help you love King, but since there are so many to choose from now, I think there is probably a better way to go. True you would miss out on our "first" glimpse of each character and place, but the true fans will always want to go back for than anyway. Especially once you read DT. It's kind of inevitable.

message 36: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) Oh Maciek... Tsk tsk. Christine had more personality than many people I know in real life! She just didn't have the means of expressing it like the Overlook did. :P

I mean, her options were to run people over, or suffocate them... or run them over.

message 37: by Kandice (new)

Kandice | 4050 comments I wish I could run a few people over. Or suffocate them. Or run them over.

:)

message 38: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) Me too! *wistful sigh*

message 39: by Maciek (last edited Mar 15, 2010 10:06AM) (new)

Maciek (pan_maciej) | 198 comments Becky wrote: "Oh Maciek... Tsk tsk. Christine had more personality than many people I know in real life! She just didn't have the means of expressing it like the Overlook did. :P

I mean, her options were to run people over, or suffocate them... or run them over. "

The only thing missing is the boxing glove on a spring that would jump out through the window and punch people in the face. Why Steve didn't think of that puzzles me.

message 40: by Hazel (new)

Hazel (zelly) | 5 comments Should we be a little worried about you two? :-) JK I totally feel that way too at times! Who doesn't?

message 41: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) Maciek wrote: "The only thing missing is the boxing glove on a spring that would jump out through the window and punch people in the face. Why Steve didn't think of that puzzles me."

Oh, I don't know! He should have, definitely! ;)

Hazel wrote: "Should we be a little worried about you two? :-) JK I totally feel that way too at times! Who doesn't?"

Nah... you should be a LOT worried... :P

message 42: by Kandice (new)

Kandice | 4050 comments Speak for yourself!

Ha ha ha ha....

message 43: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) I was! LOL

message 44: by Kandice (new)

Kandice | 4050 comments Oh, okay then. But, I'm not worried about you! I know how sweet you really are, no matter what you say:P

message 45: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) Shh! You'll ruin my rep! *saunters off* :P

message 46: by Tom (new)

Tom Mueller | 305 comments Maciek wrote: "But the overlook shows signs of personality...and Christine's still a car ! LOL"

Yes, 'but' . . . the Overlook and Christine are both most certainly important characters, with distinct personalities.
I would NOT want either of them pissed at me :), not even a little.

message 47: by ★ Jess (new)

★ Jess  | 49 comments Jessica wrote: "Booklover23 wrote: "hi every one!
I am looking for a really good, (not too long) stephan King book t..."

I want it short because i have a lot of books to read, and i ahve a whole bunch of KING on my bookshelf. I dont want to spend too long on one yet...

message 48: by ★ Jess (new)

★ Jess  | 49 comments THANKS EVERY ONE!
Great suggestions, i reckon i'll read THE LONG WALK or PET CEMETERY next.
Thanks again :D

message 49: by Kandice (new)

Kandice | 4050 comments The Long Walk is one my teen sons have each read a couple of times. It's short, quick and while you can't call it sweet...it gives you a LOT to think about. Good luck Booklover23.

message 50: by Bondama (last edited Mar 16, 2010 02:50PM) (new)

Bondama (kerensa) | 868 comments Maciek ---
Oddly enough, I just finished re-reading "Hearts . ." as well. That is one truly well, well written book. It's meticulously crafted, and the reader becomes totally immersed in the characters. For a long time I thought that the reason this book appealed to me on such a deep level was because King's era (time-wise) is mine, as well. I was there in the initial demonstrations against the war, and I very well remember when a lot of my former "comrades" turned towards the violent side, and I just couldn't follow. To this day, it seems counter-productive to protest a war with the very same violence one is supposed to be taking a stand on.
Also, I would not and could not take a stand against the poor bastards who were drafted to go to Vietnam. If your family had money or influence, very seldom did one go to war (G.W. Bush being a primary example) After all, he was a Cheerleader at Yale --- how could he "waste his time by actually fighting? I know I'm beating a dying drum here, but those people who are my age or around there ALWAYS knew where they stood on the question of Vietnam -- there simply was no middle ground. "The Track of the Great American Chicken" indeed! :(

« previous 1