Cover to Cover Challenge discussion

Read-a-thon event Info

Comments Showing 1-50 of 72 (72 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Athira (last edited Mar 13, 2010 07:05AM) (new)

Athira (Reading on a Rainy Day) (readingonarainyday) What is the Read-a-thon? This is a 24 hour event during which you read, post updates about your reading, and cheer others who are reading, that's it!

Readers :
Those who choose to be readers commit to reading during the event. Although the event runs 24 hours, you do not have to read all 24 hours. You can take as many breaks as you wish. If you like to be a hardcore reader and try to get as much reading done as possible, you can do so. On the other hand, if you need as many breaks as possible, you can do that as well. This event is about having fun reading, so there are going to be no rules on how and when you read. The only rule for readers is that you be honest in your updates regarding how much reading you did.

During the event, there will be a thread created for you to provide your reading updates. How you provide updates is your choice - after every book, or every hour, or whenever you want a break. If you'd rather just spend all the time reading, and provide an update at the end of the event, you may do so as well.

Cheerleaders :
The main purpose of cheerleaders is to cheer the readers. In addition, cheerleaders can keep the communication going in the progress thread.

One option would be giving book recommendations (say someone needs a change of genre/book, or someone is looking for a light reading, or a book with less than 200 pages, or even help choose books, maybe even cheer someone who read a tear-jerker :)) ) - anything that keeps the readers from getting frustrated.

Cheerleaders can also provide some fun links - comics, humor, articles, news from around, anything that the readers can enjoy while on a break, without having to do it by self! All of this goes into the progress thread. Please do not hesitate to drop your comments or provide any light moments or give suggestions as you pass by during the event. It doesn't matter if you can't stay for the duration of the event. Even a brief few minutes is appreciated. Any thing fun-related and books-related is invited, we're all here to have fun!

A cheerleader can also provide some fun quizzes in the thread - regarding any book or even movies (esp, movies based on books)!

You can also be both a Reader and Cheerleader if you wish.

What books do I read?
I had a few of you asking whether we ought to read the same books. You don't have to. The books you want to read are up to you. If you want to make your list in advance, you may. If you just want to pick a book at random, during the event, you may. As I said, the choice is entirely yours. Also, any kind of books count for this event - including reading to the kids, e-books, audio books, Manga, graphic novels, short stories. (***Update added March 13***: Children's books aren't allowed for the 144 Challenge, But you can include books you read to children in the read-a-thon - wouldn't you anyways read those books to your children, even if you weren't participating for the event? - but the children's books won't count for the 144 challenge.)

Logistics
- The event will be held monthly alternately on weekdays and weekends. The first event will be on a weekend, the next on a weekday, and so on. The polls for each month's event will open up a month in advance. (Please forgive the first couple of months, we're still figuring how to run this. :))
- A sign-up sheet for the event will open up one week prior to the event, so be sure to put in your name there if you plan to take part.
- A final summary sheet will open up a week before the event. This sheet will *ONLY* be used for tracking your progress (number of hours read, number of books, number of pages, genre read, type of books read). You can record as you read, or after the event.
- All announcements regarding the Read-a-thon will be made in this thread, so please make sure you are following this or at least to check by whenever possible. Dates and timings will also be announced below.

If you have any questions regarding this event, please ask away below.

message 2: by Afsana (new)

Afsana (afsanaz) you said any book counts kids manga etc.. but to my understanding kids books and manga do not count in the 144 books so that may confuse the figures?

or am I wrong?

message 3: by Wendy (new)

Wendy (wldinnis) I can't wait for the first one :)

message 4: by Ivy (new)

Ivy M (luvbug) I am off to pick out the books I will be reading...think I will put a couple of extra ones in case I run into one that just doesn't grab me and I can't get into it.

message 5: by Athira (last edited Mar 13, 2010 07:03AM) (new)

Athira (Reading on a Rainy Day) (readingonarainyday) Afsana wrote: "you said any book counts kids manga etc.. but to my understanding kids books and manga do not count in the 144 books so that may confuse the figures?

or am I wrong?"

Strictly speaking, in a Read-a-thon, any kind of books count. I do agree, there will be rule mix-ups since the children's books don't count for the 144 challenge. We want the Read-a-thon to be a chance for you to count any books you read in that day, towards the event. So yes, you can include books you read to children in the read-a-thon (wouldn't you anyways read those books to your children, even if you weren't participating for the event?), but the children's books won't count for the 144 challenge.

As for manga, I was under the impression that it counted for the 144 challenge. Have I missed the rule somewhere? I do know that children's books were not allowed for the 144 challenge.

message 6: by Wendy (new)

Wendy (wldinnis) Oh good...then my daughter won't think I am ignoring her completely :)

message 7: by Afsana (new)

Afsana (afsanaz) Aths wrote: "Afsana wrote: "you said any book counts kids manga etc.. but to my understanding kids books and manga do not count in the 144 books so that may confuse the figures?

or am I wrong?"

Strictly spea..."

Ohh I think maybe I assumed re the manga!!

If this was a few yrs back I could read an average book in a couple of hours I could have read loads (and would have been able to do the 23 hrs aswell as pre daughter) but have slowed down and takes longer to read a book and my daughter means can not just read!!

message 8: by Kelly (new)

Kelly Wow, great write-up Aths!!! You and Catherine are doing such a great job with this! This is going to be SOO much fun. I can't wait to make my list of what to read. I have several shorter books in my collection that I've been wanting to read but have never gotten around to, so I will dig them up and make a stack. :)

message 9: by KrisT (new)

KrisT | 414 comments Maybe a page count vs. a book count or book kind would be an easy way to keep track or report during the read a thon??

message 10: by Kelly (last edited Mar 13, 2010 12:34PM) (new)

Kelly I've started my list! Aths or Catherine, is there any way we could start a separate thread where people can put the books they plan to read, just a place to kind of toss ideas around ahead of time? I've chosen some shorter stuff, but would love to know what everyone else's plans are! (not set-in-stone lists, just ideas)

message 11: by Athira (new)

Athira (Reading on a Rainy Day) (readingonarainyday) KrisT, I agree, though we are leaving up to you how you want to report. You can go to all levels of detail, or just say which book or how many pages, or any thing else - no limit to the conversation.

Even in the final summary, you can list out any statistics. We will probably ask for a bare minimum (page #, book #, etc) since we *might* provide an interesting list-of-sorts for comparison.

Kelly, I love that idea. I've been thinking all day that I want to weed out the shorter books from my list, but I don't want to go through the 1300 books and check their page numbers!! It sounds a great idea to start a thread of lists and suggestions! I'm off to create one now!

message 12: by Wendy (new)

Wendy (wldinnis) Is it okay to read magazines as well or is this a books only event?

message 13: by Athira (new)

Athira (Reading on a Rainy Day) (readingonarainyday) Wendy wrote: "Is it okay to read magazines as well or is this a books only event?"

Wendy, magazines won't count. It has to be just books.

message 14: by KrisT (new)

KrisT | 414 comments Aths wrote: "KrisT, I agree, though we are leaving up to you how you want to report. You can go to all levels of detail, or just say which book or how many pages, or any thing else - no limit to the conversatio..."

I know many of you are thinking of reading quick books to wipe out more books on your pile but there is something to be said for those large chunksters that have been hogging space for so long too. I sometimes think that reading a fat one when you have a large amount of time allotted might be another way to go. Granted you won't have a ton of books to show for it but you might read tons of pages. Just a thought..... :)

message 15: by Afsana (new)

Afsana (afsanaz) KrisT wrote: "Aths wrote: "KrisT, I agree, though we are leaving up to you how you want to report. You can go to all levels of detail, or just say which book or how many pages, or any thing else - no limit to th..."

thats true and then it won't take up days if reading time later!!

message 16: by Ivy (new)

Ivy M (luvbug) How many pages have to be in a book for it to be considered a chunkster??? I have several good size books on my shelf that I need to read but don't know if I would consider them a chunkster.

message 17: by Athira (last edited Mar 14, 2010 08:22AM) (new)

Athira (Reading on a Rainy Day) (readingonarainyday) KrisT wrote: "Aths wrote: "KrisT, I agree, though we are leaving up to you how you want to report. You can go to all levels of detail, or just say which book or how many pages, or any thing else - no limit to th..."

Oh, definitely, KrisT! What to read is entirely up to you. I know I hardly have a short read out here, so I'll probably be going in for the middle sized books. You can read chunksters too, I totally would love it if anyone finishes through a chunkster! Short reads are usually suggested only since when you read for a long time, you might wish for a change of books, but I suggest that everyone choose only those books they want to read. Like I said, there is no rule on book type or page number or size for the Read-a-thon. Also, that's why, the final summary sheet also includes a book count AND page count.

message 18: by Catherine (new)

Catherine Kelly wrote: "Wow, great write-up Aths!!! You and Catherine are doing such a great job with this! This is going to be SOO much fun. I can't wait to make my list of what to read. I have several shorter books ..."

Aths has been doing all the work so far! I can't take credit. I had no internet all weekend and I was NOT happy about it. I took my laptop to my mom's and we couldn't get her wi-fi to work at all. :((

message 19: by ~Sara~ (new)

~Sara~ | 171 comments Ivy wrote: "How many pages have to be in a book for it to be considered a chunkster??? I have several good size books on my shelf that I need to read but don't know if I would consider them a chunkster."

In another group I'm in a chunkster is over 450 pages for regular print and about 500+ for large print since they are longer.
If I can participate in this read-a-thon I was planning to read a chunkster. I really want to read American Gods but at over 600 pages I never seem to get to it. With a whole day devoted to reading, I'd have no excuse!

message 20: by Kelly (new)

Kelly That sounds like a great option too, reading a chunkster! (lol at the name). Since we'll be doing this every month, it will be fun to mix it up with short books one month, a chunkster the next, etc etc. I have a TON of really long books on my shelves that I keep putting off because I fear they will take forever to read.

message 21: by Linda (new)

Linda (mslinda8393) | 51 comments Kelly wrote: "That sounds like a great option too, reading a chunkster! (lol at the name). Since we'll be doing this every month, it will be fun to mix it up with short books one month, a chunkster the next, e..."

I agree, Kelly. I've got two "chunksters" (love the word!): Anna Karenina, and War and Peace.

message 22: by Kelly (new)

Kelly Catherine wrote: "Aths has been doing all the work so far! I can't take credit. I had no internet all weekend and I was NOT happy about it. I took my laptop to my mom's and we couldn't get her wi-fi to work at all. :(( "

I'm sure you will have plenty of chance to help in the near future! Being without internet sucks, huh?!? It's liable to make someone go crazy since the world relies so heavily on being online 24/7! What we all did before the internet became commonplace is a mystery to me, hah. Glad you're back online Catherine :)

message 23: by Afsana (new)

Afsana (afsanaz) Linda wrote: "Kelly wrote: "That sounds like a great option too, reading a chunkster! (lol at the name). Since we'll be doing this every month, it will be fun to mix it up with short books one month, a chunks..."

I have 2 as well- War and peace and a michael jackson biography

message 24: by Kelly (new)

Kelly Linda wrote: "Kelly wrote: "That sounds like a great option too, reading a chunkster! (lol at the name). Since we'll be doing this every month, it will be fun to mix it up with short books one month, a chunks..."

I have Anna Karenina too Linda! I've had it for years sitting on my shelf. I also have Gone With the Wind, which I've never read but really want to. And Under the Dome, The Executioner's Song, The Woman in White, It, and a few others that are borderline in chunkster length. I've never considered tackling War and Peace - would be interesting to watch you two read that one, Linda and Afsana!

message 25: by Kelly (new)

Kelly Aths, thanks so much for setting up the book lists thread!!! I'll add my list for this month, and some suggestions for others, in the next hour or two. Yay, so fun!!

message 26: by Afsana (new)

Afsana (afsanaz) Kelly wrote: "Linda wrote: "Kelly wrote: "That sounds like a great option too, reading a chunkster! (lol at the name). Since we'll be doing this every month, it will be fun to mix it up with short books one m..."

MAybe in a month or so we should do a read. Set chapters for each month and maybe by the end of the yr we would have it read?

message 27: by Kelly (new)

Kelly Afsana wrote: "Kelly wrote: "Linda wrote: "Kelly wrote: "That sounds like a great option too, reading a chunkster! (lol at the name). Since we'll be doing this every month, it will be fun to mix it up with sh..."

Which book do you mean Afsana? War and Peace?

message 28: by Afsana (new)

Afsana (afsanaz) Kelly wrote: "Afsana wrote: "Kelly wrote: "Linda wrote: "Kelly wrote: "That sounds like a great option too, reading a chunkster! (lol at the name). Since we'll be doing this every month, it will be fun to mi..."

yep

message 29: by Colleen (new)

Colleen (colleenct1) | 87 comments I have Anna Karenina on my shelf I was hoping you meant that one. Does someone else wants to read that with me?

message 30: by KrisT (new)

KrisT | 414 comments It might be fun to devote one of the read a thons to a theme. Chunkster or Classic weekend or even something like Stephen King readathon when everyone tries to read his books???

message 31: by Colleen (new)

Colleen (colleenct1) | 87 comments KrisT I like that idea, it would be fun to have a theme every now and then

message 32: by Kelly (new)

Kelly KrisT, that sounds like fun!

Colleen, I do want to read Anna Karenina, but I'll have to look at it and see how interesting it looks, and what kind of mood I'll have to be in to read it.

message 33: by Colleen (new)

Colleen (colleenct1) | 87 comments Ok, just let me know, I have plenty of other stuff I could be reading also. :)

message 34: by Kelly (new)

Kelly Sounds good, Colleen :) I'm working on my read-a-thon possibilities today, and Anna K is definitely on my chunksters list. I'll get it off my shelf later and give it a look-see and let you know. :)

message 35: by Kristi (last edited Mar 16, 2010 01:16PM) (new)

Kristi (kristicoleman) Coleen, I'd read that one with you too...maybe if you don't do it for the read a thon we could break it down into chapters like they are going to do with War & Peace...

message 36: by KrisT (last edited Mar 16, 2010 02:48PM) (new)

KrisT | 414 comments I loved Anna K but there are some long parts that take some concentration but...the cool thing I think is that some writers today are including some bits from some of the classics in their writing. Like I am read the Postmistress and there is a bit in there as one of the main characters is reading Anna. I know there are others like that and it is fun if you have read the classic.

message 37: by Caitrin (new)

Caitrin (literarydependent) I think a Themed Read-a-Thon would be super fun! Thank you for the informative post :D

message 38: by Ivy (last edited Mar 17, 2010 08:02AM) (new)

Ivy M (luvbug) It turns out I have more chunksters on my shelf then I thought. I like the idea of one month small books, next month chunksters...will have to decide if I want to start with the small books or the big ones this month. Guess it will depend on what I am reading when that weekend comes along.

message 39: by Linda (new)

Linda (mslinda8393) | 51 comments Kelly wrote: "Linda wrote: "Kelly wrote: "That sounds like a great option too, reading a chunkster! (lol at the name). Since we'll be doing this every month, it will be fun to mix it up with short books one m..."

FYI: I swapped my copy of Under the Dome, and it definitely is a chunkster--it weighed in at 4.8 lbs.!!

message 40: by Linda (last edited Mar 17, 2010 10:01AM) (new)

Linda (mslinda8393) | 51 comments Kristi wrote: "Coleen, I'd read that one with you too...maybe if you don't do it for the read a thon we could break it down into chapters like they are going to do with War & Peace..."

I would also like to read it with you--a chapter read would work. Or a group chapter read--it doesn't matter to me---I'm game for anything. I also like the idea of a chunkster read-a-thon.

message 41: by Kristi (new)

Kristi (kristicoleman) Linda wrote: "Kristi wrote: "Coleen, I'd read that one with you too...maybe if you don't do it for the read a thon we could break it down into chapters like they are going to do with War & Peace..."

I would a..."

I'll do it with you...if you want I'll look at how to divide it up tonight. I'll PM Coleen about it too...see what she wants to do.

message 42: by Kristi (new)

Kristi (kristicoleman) Is anyone else interested in doing a "_# of chapters per week" read for Anna Karenina? Let me know and I'll try to figure out how to set it up...

I think I calculated 6 chapters per week to finish by the end of the year. But I'm going to look at that again tonight just to be sure.

message 43: by Athira (last edited Mar 26, 2010 03:42PM) (new)

Athira (Reading on a Rainy Day) (readingonarainyday) I like how you ladies are planning to get through some of those tough literary books together. I should join in too, I know. But things are so unpredictable out here, that I'll join you ladies some other time. LOL!

Just wanted to announce the date/timings of the first Read-a-thon. A note first: Since a read-a-thon has to run in parallel for all the members, we've tried to come up with this timing in such a way that it's not *still* a weekday in the Pacific zone, and not too late on the other extreme. I'm hoping that even if the timings might seem a bit too late/early in some places, that you will still participate in this event. As we said earlier, you can take as many breaks as you wish.

Date: March 27, 2010
Time: 2 am GMT Saturday through 2 am GMT Sunday

Event starts times:
US/Canada: Friday 7 pm PDT / 8 pm MDT / 9 pm CDT / 10 pm EDT / 11 pm ADT
Europe: Saturday 2 am GMT
Australia/NZ: 10 am WST Perth / 11.30 am CST Darwin / 12 pm EST Brisbane / 12.30 pm CDT Adelaide / 1 pm EDT Sydney / 3 pm Auckland
Tokyo: 11 am Saturday

Let me know any other time zones I need to add here.

message 44: by [deleted user] (new)

I might sound stupid but I'm trying to work out which time I start and I'm all confused. I live in Australia...

message 45: by Roseann (new)

Roseann | 185 comments Could you specify what counts as a children's book? I have quite a few Y/A reads to get through and some of them are more "meaty" than some of my guilty-pleasure adult books. Would Cirque de Freak count for example?

message 46: by Athira (new)

Athira (Reading on a Rainy Day) (readingonarainyday) Sophie, that's not stupid at all! I am myself trying to figure out which time zones to mention. I have updated my post above with the Australian time zones. Please check and let me know if it looks fine.

Roseann, I do think Cirque de Freak counts as a YA read, but I have not read and can't verify. As for genre, it doesn't really matter which one it comes under. I do agree some of the YA books are meatier than some of the adult fluff reads. As for children's books, I meant books really for children, which you would read to them. You can add the few pages you read in such a way to the Read-a-thon stats (***But note::*** those books will not count to the 144 Reading Challenge).

message 47: by Dawn (new)

Dawn rizzi (dawnie278) Kristi wrote: "Is anyone else interested in doing a "_# of chapters per week" read for Anna Karenina? Let me know and I'll try to figure out how to set it up...

I think I calculated 6 chapters per ..."

I HAVE OWENED THIS BOOK FOR YEARS AND HAVE YET TO GET AROUND TO IT. BUT 6 CHAPTERS A WEEK I COULD HANDLE. LETS DO IT.

message 48: by Kristi (last edited Mar 19, 2010 12:18PM) (new)

Kristi (kristicoleman) Hey Everyone, I just wanted to let you all know that I set up a group for anyone who wants to read the "Chunksters" by the chapter with a group. ATM we are only doing Anna Karenina, but I'd be willing to do more books if there is interest.

Reading the Chunksters

message 49: by Zakiya (new)

Zakiya LadyWings (zladywings) Aths wrote: "I like how you ladies are planning to get through some of those tough literary books together. I should join in too, I know. But things are so unpredictable out here, that I'll join you ladies some..."

How long is the Read-a-thon supposed to last?

message 50: by Athira (new)

Athira (Reading on a Rainy Day) (readingonarainyday) ♥Zakk!♥ wrote: "Aths wrote: "I like how you ladies are planning to get through some of those tough literary books together. I should join in too, I know. But things are so unpredictable out here, that I'll join yo..."

It will be a 24-hour event.

« previous 1