Top Rated Reads discussion

Tigana by Guy Gavriel Kay

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Greyweather (new)

Greyweather | 6 comments Here is how an acquaintance of mine described Tigana by Guy Gavriel Kay to me.

"Tigana moved me profoundly. In this novel Kay explores such thorny and painful issues as identity, cultural memory, loss and revenge with great insight and sensitivity, all delivered in a beautiful, poignant and lyrical style.

In the afterword to the anniversary edition he writes that he was inspired in part by how the Stalinist regime of the Soviet Union tried to completely efface its own detractors by attempting to remove their memory. Thus former party members who opposed Stalin were not only executed or assassinated, they were also removed from photos, etc. A strategy similar to those of the ancient pharaoes who had all signs of a person who had fallen out of favour removed from documents, buildings, etc. The central theme of Tigana, the effacement of a nation by magically stripping it of its name, is an is an act of violence that strikes at the most intimate aspect of selfhood and community. The province of Tigana is not only laid waste but is made NEVER to exist because no one (except those born in the country before the magic was worked) can hear or remember its name. Memory is a crucial aspect of identity, both individual and communal - fx it is mainly through memory that the Jewish people survived a diaspora that lasted millenias.

Tigana also made such a big impact on me emotionally for very personal reasons as I have first-hand experiences of how painful a loss of memory can be. My mother is very sick, so sick that she'll never be better and she'll only get worse with time. She suffers from a mental illness that slowly and insidiously eats away at the person she once was - her personality has in fact completely changed over the years. We have been losing her in bits and pieces for so long that I no longer can remember what she was like when she was comparatively healthy and functional. It is a loss that is final, there is no recovery of what she once was or of my memory of what she was - and the pain of this loss is beyond words.

Therefore Tigana touched me profoundly - in this novel he writes the truth, in an emotional and psychological sense. And he writes it with an understated elegance and sensitivity that at times brought tears to my eyes"

message 2: by Michel (new)

Michel B. (michelbonnell) I've read 4 or so Kay books. Enjoyed them all. Haven't read this one...yet. Thanks for the mention - I've added it to the list.

Cheers!

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Tigana (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Guy Gavriel Kay (other topics)