Jane Austen discussion

Book/Video News > Something Like Jane

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by SarahC, Austen Votary & Mods' Asst. (new)

SarahC (sarahcarmack) | 1473 comments Mod
We started talking about this again (the subject always seem to come up for me) in another thread, so IS anyone finding recent novels, let's say 20th or 21st century authors, who remind you of Jane Austen?

We had an older thread in the past like this in relation to doing some group reads, but I thought I would start one afresh. So throughout time, suggest any titles that you find that remind you of Austen. NOT Austen continuations or retellings, because we have a special folder for those suggestions. And NOT any with "Jane Austen" in title.

Here are some examples of those in some way reminiscent of Jane:

The Lost Art of Keeping Secrets by Eva Rice

The Lost Art of Keeping Secrets by Eva Rice

Member Chris has also described Patrick O'Brian's Aubrey/Maturin novels as good stuff for the Austen reader over in his separate thread.

We would love it if any of you post suggestions ongoing at any time, so we can find good things to read! Keep us in mind!

message 2: by Usako (new)

Usako (bbmeltdown) | 226 comments No one comes to mind but I am interested in what will be posted here!

message 3: by Shaun (new)

Shaun | 123 comments Great! I was trying to find the thread that kind of had this idea. I was reading "Jane's Fame" and it described Henry James as "Austen's literary son." I have to agree, although I've only read Washington Square and Daisy Miller so far.

message 4: by Karen (new)

Karen I recently found the Pink series by Lauren Willig Lauren Willig. The novels, the first of which are set in 1803, are highly influenced by Austen. They can stand alone, but I've been reading them in series because I love the world and characters. The first is The Secret History of the Pink Carnation The Secret History of the Pink Carnation but the novel I think most resembles Austen is The Deception of the Emerald Ring. The Deception of the Emerald Ring The best way I can think to describe it is a romance series about British spies trying to thwart Bonaparte and his agents.

message 5: by QNPoohBear (new)

QNPoohBear | 600 comments Mary Roninette Kowal does Jane Austen without writing about Jane Austen or any of her characters. She uses an 1815 dictionary so her novels sound authentic. Jude Morgan also sounds like Jane Austen/Georgette Heyer. Most contemporary authors don't get the language right or make the stories compelling enough.

message 6: by Marcy (new)

Marcy (marshein) | 2 comments The Age of Innocence seemed like a smooth transition after I'd finished rereading all of JA recently. So perhaps Edith Wharton?

message 7: by Em (new)

Em (emmap) Barbara Pym is often compared to Jane, similar social observation I think. I enjoyed "Excellent Women" and plan to read more...