Chick Lit Writers discussion

How To... > Short Story

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Cathy (new)

Cathy (cgraceh) | 236 comments Mod
I've started to wonder if writing a short story may help me to hone my writing skills and I could use the motivation of entering some free contests with deadlines to push myself to write (seems like a lot more short story contests out there than full novel challenges.)

They also call Short Story Fiction, Flash Fiction. Anyone have any tips, ideas or techniques for how to write a great short story?

message 2: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne | 50 comments I think this is a good idea. I love reading short stories. Not sure about any tips though-sorry! Do you know about how many words is considered a short story?

message 3: by Cathy (new)

I read somewhere that it is usually between 3000 and 15000 words (or 10 to 50 pages) but I'm sure other quotes vary..

the only point I could find on the main difference between a short story and a novel is that Short Stories tend to start right in the MIDDLE of all the action, the character is still very relatable but less time is spent on thorough development (Read: slow) and that POV (either first or third) and dialogue are intergral to the exposition...

message 4: by Nicole (last edited Mar 12, 2010 08:52AM) (new)

Nicole (nicole21) | 14 comments Flash fiction (or short short) can actually be even shorter than the 3000-15000 words for a short story that Cathy cited. A flash might be only a page or two. For those Writer's Digest prompts (mentioned in the contest section here) they're looking for flash fiction as they typically require the story be less than 1000 words.

Short stories are actually my favorite to write. Short stories are where the writing rule of "show, don't tell" really applies because you don't have space to waste on describing and setting things up. Character development comes through dialogue and action. I find the ending is hardest; mostly I just stop in such a way that (hopefully) leaves the reader wondering about the characters.

If you go here: http://scars.tv/cgi-bin/framesmain.pl... you can read a published short story of mine. Author name is Nicole Rogers.

message 5: by Cathy (new)

Wow, great! Thank you so much for clarifying that too Nicole. I will definitely check out your work.

message 6: by Tara (new)

Tara Nicole wrote: "Flash fiction (or short short) can actually be even shorter than the 3000-15000 words for a short story that Cathy cited. A flash might be only a page or two. For those Writer's Digest prompts (m..."

I really liked that store Nicole. Is their more??? Was she pregnant? LOL!

message 7: by Nicole (new)

Nicole (nicole21) | 14 comments Tara wrote: "I really liked that store Nicole. Is their more??? Was she pregnant? LOL!"
Glad you liked it! I never did write anymore with those characters. But the original ending had her definitely pregnant. My writing group at the time didn't think it should be explicitly stated, so I reworked it.

message 8: by Tara (new)

Tara Darn....I really liked it anyway. Thanks for sharing!

message 9: by Alicia (new)

Alicia (diva2416) I will have to read your story Nicole (when I am not at work...I am such a good employee).

When I was in college that is all they let us write was short stories. I think they are great if you have a little story to tell but I also think it is hard when you really want to expand on a character. Maybe we could take a scene we know we want to have in our book and make a short story out of it.

message 10: by Kourtney (new)

Kourtney (familywithbooks) | 9 comments This makes me laugh, only because most short stories I do not like (I always want to know MORE, MORE, MORE!) but I tend to write more along the lines of a short story. Go figure!

message 11: by Julie (new)

Julie (lajewl) | 6 comments that's funny. i feel like i'm almost the opposite - the more i like the book, and the longer it is, the more upset i am when it ends. whereas the more i like a short story (and recently i've developed quite a taste for flash fiction), the shorter i want it to be!

but i think you bring up an interest point about whether or not what you enjoying reading most necessarily needs to match up to what you tend to write.

message 12: by Jencey/ (new)

Jencey/ (jencey) I guess I am really bad then because I tend to write novels instead of short stories. I have never liked short story. I don't want my story to be short. I like long stories.

message 13: by Cathy (new)

Jencey wrote: "I guess I am really bad then because I tend to write novels instead of short stories. I have never liked short story. I don't want my story to be short. I like long stories."

You're not bad:) Everyone's different...I don't even know how to write a short story! I think because I tend to be so long winded (which needs to be worked on for sure...even in my novel writing!)
But in college, I didn get introduced to some really great short stories in a Summer English class I took...I vaguely remember reading Flannery O'Connor for one..hers were interesting to say the least:)

message 14: by Cathy (new)

Can someone please describe to me the difference between a short story and a full novel? (Other than page length and word count:))

Two great Chick Lit Contests NOW:

Full Novel of 40,000 Words or More (approx. 160 pages)
http://chicklitwriters.com/home/get-y...

Short Stories to http://www.chicklitshorties.com/