Every one's Choice discussion

A Tie for April

Comments Showing 1-50 of 57 (57 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Donna, The Pusher (last edited Mar 12, 2010 05:15AM) (new)

Donna (dfiggz) | 3116 comments Mod
Hey guys! It's that time again ALREADY! So what are we thinking this time around?? Maybe a Spring book?? Let's go with something that either A) has something "Springy" on the cover or B) has either the words "Rain" or "Shower" in the title.
If you have another concept please share.

I am gonna take a gander around. Be back with my nominee.

message 2: by Colleen (last edited Mar 12, 2010 07:44AM) (new)

Colleen (nightoleander) | 676 comments Holy hell Batman I can't believe we are on to April already, my goodness!

Okay I'll start: I nominate Down Came the Rain: My Journey Through Postpartum Depression it's not a happy feel good horray spring is almost here book but it does have "rain" in the title and it is very good. It's 3am here and I can't sleep (big shocker) that's all my rattled brain can spew out right now, LOL

message 3: by Donna, The Pusher (new)

EEKK Colleen! Go to bed!

Thx for nominating. It was hard! BUT I figured I would nominate a book that I really want to read. The cover looks "Springy" and the word Earth is in it so that makes it more "Springy" I guess????

So here it is:
Touching Earth by Rani Manicka

by Rani Manicka

message 4: by Donna, The Pusher (new)

but that may not be such a good choice because it took me forever to find it.

message 5: by Donna, The Pusher (new)

OK How about this one? It looks Springy too!

Saving Ceecee Honeycutt A Novel by Beth Hoffman

by Beth Hoffman

message 6: by Fiona (Titch) (new)

Fiona (Titch) Hunt (titch) | 636 comments Mod
How many can we nominate?

message 7: by Colleen (last edited Mar 12, 2010 07:22AM) (new)

Colleen (nightoleander) | 676 comments I can't I have insomnia! LOL, I'll try to come up with another nom, let me go stare at my little library and see what I can come up with.

I am reading a group read in another group and it is so good I am having a hard time putting it down, between postings on gr, LOL

message 9: by Donna, The Pusher (new)

U can nominate as much as you wantI was also going to nominate Kissing the Rain! It looks good!

message 10: by Fiona (Titch) (new)

Fiona (Titch) Hunt (titch) | 636 comments Mod
Been sitting on my shelves for sooooooooooooo long lol.

message 11: by Irene (new)

Irene (irena47) | 53 comments Colleen wrote: "I can't I have insomnia! LOL, I'll try to come up with another nom, let me go stare at my little library and see what I can come up with.

I am reading a group read in another group and it is so ..."

Share please, what is it, if I may ask?

message 12: by Colleen (new)

Colleen (nightoleander) | 676 comments You certainly may Irene, it is in the Tudor History Lovers group and chosen by members for our group read for February. We do the gr's every other month because sometimes to book is quite large or a bit dry; also gives members belonging to other groups a chance to do gr's besides our Tudor one's.

So without further ado the subject is Thomas Cromwell and this is the book that won in the polls:
Thomas Cromwell: Henry VIII's Most Notorious Minister: The Rise and Fall of a Tudor Tyrant: The Rise and Fall of Henry VIII's Most Notorious Minister It's well written and researched, not dry at all and I am learning new things.

message 13: by Irene (new)

Irene (irena47) | 53 comments Added it to my growing TBR list! Thank you, Colleen.

message 14: by Colleen (new)

Colleen (nightoleander) | 676 comments Okay I have two nominations, I retract "Down Came the Rain" even though it is a good book it's a dark subject.

Nomination 1: The Street of a Thousand Blossoms by Gail Tsukiyama The Street of a Thousand Blossoms by Gail Tsukiyama Looks very good to me, and blossoms come out in the spring so there you go. Also the subject matter contains a renewal type of theme and spring is when the earth awakes anew.

Nomination 2: The Art of Racing in the Rain by Garth Stein The Art of Racing in the Rain by Garth Stein The title has the word rain in the cover, I've heard it's a good book besides.

I can't believe it is almost 6am, where does the time go? Dammit it's going to be a long day, lol

message 15: by Donna, The Pusher (new)

The Street of a Thousand Blossoms was also one of my considerations!

message 16: by Irene (new)

Irene (irena47) | 53 comments I would like to nominate The Grass Is Singing by Doris Lessing.

message 17: by Donna, The Pusher (new)

WOW Sounds good It is now on my TBR

message 18: by Colleen (new)

Colleen (nightoleander) | 676 comments Irene wrote: "Added it to my growing TBR list! Thank you, Colleen."

You are welcome! :)

message 19: by Shelli (new)

message 20: by Shelli (new)

message 21: by Lyn (Readinghearts) (last edited Mar 13, 2010 12:46PM) (new)

Lyn (Readinghearts) (lsmeadows) Colleen - those are both great books!!

Shelli - I loved Moloka'i

I would like to nominate:

The Scent of Rain and Lightning: A Novel by Nancy Pickard

AND

Saving Ceecee Honeycutt: A Novel by Beth Hoffman

message 22: by Irene (new)

Irene (irena47) | 53 comments So are yours, Lyn... I want to read both of your nominees...when they come out in paperback :)

Lyn (Readinghearts) (lsmeadows) Thanks - they do look good.

message 24: by Donna, The Pusher (new)

Lyn M wrote: "Colleen - those are both great books!!

Shelli - I loved Moloka'i

I would like to nominate:

The Scent of Rain and Lightning: A Novel by Nancy Pickard

AND

[boo..."

LOL I nominated that one too!!!

message 25: by Jen (new)

Jen (nekokitty) | 339 comments Colleen wrote: "You certainly may Irene, it is in the Tudor History Lovers group and chosen by members for our group read for February. We do the gr's every other month because sometimes to book is quite large or ..."

Added it to my tbr list! :) Thanks!

message 26: by Pamela (new)

Pamela Hmmmmmmm.........How about.....A Separate Peace by John Knowles? Looks springy on the cover and it's been sitting on my shelf.....

message 27: by Emily (new)

Emily | 1 comments How about The Help. There are birds on the cover, and that is a sure sign of spring here in Vermont.The Help

message 28: by Kathy (new)

Kathy  (readr4ever) | 300 comments Shelli wrote: "The Eyre Affair (Thursday Next, #1) by Jasper Fforde"

I can't tell you how long I've been meaning to read this book, Shelli. It stares at me from my shelf with an accusing look and I keep assuring it that I will read it someday soon. Maybe I can keep that promise if it wins here. I loved The Big Over Easy by Fforde, and its sequel The Fourth Bear also gives me a nasty look when I pass it, as I have yet to read it, too. Well, maybe I could at least make one of these books happy soon. LOL

message 29: by Kathy (new)

Kathy  (readr4ever) | 300 comments Colleen wrote: "Okay I have two nominations, I retract "Down Came the Rain" even though it is a good book it's a dark subject.

Nomination 1: The Street of a Thousand Blossoms by Gail Tsukiyama The Street..."</i>

I have [book:The Art of Racing in the Rain
on my list for this year, Colleen. One of my personal challenges for myself is to read one of the "dog" books I've been meaning to. One that I've bought recently is Inside of a Dog: What Dogs See, Smell, and Know I'll have to get Racing in the Rain back from my son-in-law to read, as I gave it to him for Christmas. Yes, I give books I want to read, too. LOL

message 30: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (ash88) By the time I see these threads, there are already 3 or 4 books nominated that I have been meaning to read!

message 31: by Shelli (new)

Shelli Kathy wrote: "Shelli wrote: "The Eyre Affair (Thursday Next, #1) by Jasper Fforde"

I can't tell you how long I've been meaning to read this book, Shelli. It stares at me from my shelf with an accusing look and I keep assuring it..."

I own it too Kathy...I've also heard Shades of Grey: The Road to High Saffron is good.

message 32: by [deleted user] (last edited Mar 16, 2010 12:28PM) (new)

Is this springy enough? It's on my upcoming reads list.

In the Time of the Butterflies by Julia Alvarez

message 33: by Donna, The Pusher (new)

It sounds so!

message 34: by Kathy (new)

Kathy  (readr4ever) | 300 comments Jeremy wrote: "Is this springy enough? It's on my upcoming reads list.

In the Time of the Butterflies by Julia Alvarez"

Oh no, another one I've been meaning to read and that stares at me accusingly. What are you all doing to me? LOL!

message 35: by Lyn (Readinghearts) (last edited Mar 16, 2010 05:49PM) (new)

Lyn (Readinghearts) (lsmeadows) Kathy and Shelli - I have not read The Big Over Easy or The Fourth Bear, but I have read the first two of the Thursday Next series, The Eyre Affair and Lost in a Good Book and they were excellent. My sister is currently reading Shades of Grey: The Road to High Saffron and she said it is just as good, if not better, than the others. (She's read them all)

Lyn (Readinghearts) (lsmeadows) Colleen - I love Gail Tsukiyama's books, and read the first 25 or so pages of that one for a challenge I didn't finish. It was really good so far.

message 37: by Kathy (new)

Kathy  (readr4ever) | 300 comments Lyn M wrote: "Kathy and Shelli - I have not read The Big Over Easy or The Fourth Bear, but I have read the first two of the Thursday Next series, The Eyre Affair and [boo..."

I had wondered about Shades of Grey, Lyn. Thanks for the positive feedback on it. Yet another one to add to my list. I think I'd better go read now.

message 38: by Colleen (new)

Colleen (nightoleander) | 676 comments Kathy, I have a suggestion for "dog" books. My mom read Merle's Door: Lessons from a Freethinking Dog and loved it; you should check it out.

message 39: by Donna, The Pusher (new)

U guys r mentioning so many books that it's hard to track down which ones are nominated LOL!

message 40: by Kathy (new)

Kathy  (readr4ever) | 300 comments Colleen wrote: "Kathy, I have a suggestion for "dog" books. My mom read Merle's Door: Lessons from a Freethinking Dog and loved it; you should check it out."

I've seen that one and wondered about it, Colleen. I will definitely check it out now.

message 41: by Kathy (new)

Kathy  (readr4ever) | 300 comments Donna wrote: "U guys r mentioning so many books that it's hard to track down which ones are nominated LOL!"

Oops, Donna, it's good that you are such a great moderator and can decipher the nominees. I have an image of you being the mother duck and gathering her straying little ducklings back into the fold. LOL!

message 42: by Donna, The Pusher (new)

Start the votes!!! I will let everyone vote until next Wednesday!

I hope I didn't miss anyone. It was hard to keep track. If I did please let me know and I will fix it!

message 43: by Colleen (new)

Colleen (nightoleander) | 676 comments Kathy, it actually made my mom cry the book was so good!

Donna, will do book pusher, I have been waiting with baited breath for the polls to be up... off to vote!

message 44: by Kathy (new)

Kathy  (readr4ever) | 300 comments Colleen wrote: "Kathy, it actually made my mom cry the book was so good!

Donna, will do book pusher, I have been waiting with baited breath for the polls to be up... off to vote!"

Oh my. Well, now I have to read it.

message 45: by Donna, The Pusher (new)

OK, so thank you for those of you who changed your vote. I thought there was going to be a clear winner but AGAIN there was a tie so I will have both of them as April reads and you can choose which, if not both, you want to read!

Winners are:

The Help by Kathryn Stockett

and

The Art of Racing in the Rain by Garth Stein

message 46: by Karla (new)

Karla (bookarita) | 86 comments I have read both of theses and they are both excellent novels but The Help is one of my all time favorites.

message 47: by Donna, The Pusher (new)

I hear so many great things about The Help and it is sitting on my shelf so I am excited to get to it.

message 48: by Karla (new)

Karla (bookarita) | 86 comments Can't wait to hear what you think of it Donna! Crack open that spine and enjoy!

message 49: by Donna, The Pusher (new)

It is 4th on my list. But the books ahead of it I think I am gonna try really hard to push ahead so I can get to it quicker!

message 50: by Karla (new)

Karla (bookarita) | 86 comments Made me wish I really could just go viset and sit down to tea with those ladies from The Help Stockett has a way of making them so real you miss them when your finished :(
Luckily I'm keeping my copy and can go reviset anytime!

« previous 1