Challenge: 50 Books discussion

2010 > Kelly's 50 for 2010

Comments Showing 1-50 of 50 (50 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kelly (new)

Kelly | 45 comments Okay - I am late getting into this, and I have never read 50 books in one year before, but I am up for the challenge!

So far in 2010 I have read:

1. Outlander - Diana Gabaldon
2. A Dragonfly in Amber - Diana Gabaldon
3. Voyager - Diana Gabladon
4. Drums of Autumn - Diana Gabaldon
5. Food Rules - Michael Pollan
6. Me Talk Pretty One Day - David Sedaris
7. The Elegance of the Hedgehog - Muriel Barbery
8. Hard Eight - Janet Evanovich
9. The Lost City of Z - David Grann

Just started book 10 last night - "Commmitted" by Elizabeth Gilbert. I'm reading it for book club that meets in a couple of weeks.

I feel a little behind b/c I have only finished 9 books, but the Diana Gabaldon books are all about 800+ pages, so those take a little bit longer than most.

This is fun!

message 2: by Tiffany (new)

Tiffany Wilbourn (impalagirl22) LOVE the Outlander series! I'm still on Drums of Autumn but they are great!

message 3: by Kelly (new)

Kelly | 45 comments Drums of Autumn is my favorite so far (besides the original of course). I have read reviews saying that "The Fiery Cross" is a little slower moving, so I am taking a short break from the series. I was TOTALLY engrossed in it for the first 6 weeks of the year.

message 4: by Kim (new)

Kim Fulcomer | 22 comments Just finished Outlander and I am trying to talk husband into going to dinner somewhere close to the bookstore so I can pick up A Dragonfly in Amber. Loved it!

message 5: by Kelly (new)

Kelly | 45 comments It really is totally engrossing isn't it? I am torn between dying to read the remaining books in the series and not wanting to finish them b/c I will be sad!

message 6: by Chris (new)

Chris (chrismd) | 408 comments I remember reading Outlander while taking public transportation to work in Washington DC. I would actually sit and let several trains go by just so I could keep on reading. My favorites are Outlander and Voyager. The series has started to pale in later volumes and I haven't gotten around the Echo in the Bone yet, but I try to get everyone I know to read Outlander.

message 7: by Kim (new)

Kim Fulcomer | 22 comments Picked up Dragonfly in Amber, now wondering how the laundry is going to get done this weekend. Kids can wear dirty clothes right?

message 8: by Tiffany (new)

Tiffany Wilbourn (impalagirl22) Kelly, the series is engrossing!I have started to take breaks in between the books because I want them to last forever! Granted, Chris, as you go along they seem to lose a certain edge or quality of the first in the series; however, I will stick with a series if I love the characters and author. A great friend lent me Outlander on our way back from Ireland last Spring Break and I couldn't believe that this was my first introduction to the series. It was right up my alley!! And I can totally see myself reading Outlander again in the future. In fact, when I returned the book, my friend replied that she was going to start reading it again that very night! Chris, I don't see how you were able to read it on public transit! I guess you really got into the book to tune everything else out!

message 9: by Chris (new)

Chris (chrismd) | 408 comments Yes, I was totally lost in the book. In fact, I was afraid I'd miss my stop! Another favorite Outlander story: I talked a friend of mine into reading the book. My husband was at the computer when she sent me an email message. He asked me, "Care to explain this?"
The message said
You were right, the sex was great!

message 10: by Tiffany (new)

Tiffany Wilbourn (impalagirl22) That's classic!

message 11: by Kelly (new)

Kelly | 45 comments Hilarious!

message 12: by Kelly (last edited Mar 16, 2010 12:49PM) (new)

Kelly | 45 comments 10. Dead Until Dark by: Charlaine Harris

Loved it! I have watched the HBO series, so I probably read it a little fast (about 3 days), but I thoroughly enjoyed it. Can't wait to continue in the series.

message 13: by Kim (new)

Kim Fulcomer | 22 comments Was one of my favorite series, cant wait for the new one! Come on May

message 14: by Connie (new)

Connie Faull | 611 comments Kelly wrote: "10. Dead Until Dark by: Charlaine Harris

Loved it! I have watched the HBO series, so I probably read it a little fast (about 3 days), but I thoroughly enjoyed it. ..."

I really like the series as well. Book 2 is a little different from the series. I think I like the way they did it on t.v. a little better than the book. I'd like to know what you think about book 2 Living Dead in Dallas when you finish it.

message 15: by Kelly (new)

Kelly | 45 comments I'll be sure to let you know. I've got 3 books ahead of it in my queue, so it might be a few weeks before I get around to it (although in all honestly I would rather read it now). The book I am reading right now for book club is not interesting me at all, so I would much rather be reading more Sookie/Bill/Eric stuff :)

message 16: by Kim (new)

Kim Fulcomer | 22 comments I loved the second book I read all seven really fast so they all blend together but keep reading they are so worth it!

message 17: by Kelly (new)

Kelly | 45 comments 11. Visions of Sugar Plums by: Janet Evanovich

Another fun Stephanie Plum book. I felt strange reading about Christmas in the middle of March, but it was next in order, so I went with it. It was super short so I read it in almost one sitting. Still trying to get through "Committed" for book club...

message 18: by Kelly (new)

Kelly | 45 comments 12. Living Dead in Dallas by: Charlaine Harris

Another fun Sookie Stackhouse book. Looking forward to continuing the series, especially now that I haven't seen any episodes prior to reading the book.

13. Committed: A Skeptic Makes Peace with Marriage by: Elizabeth Gilbert

I really wanted to like this book b/c I throughly enjoyed "Eat Pray Love," but unfortunately this was a huge disappointment. *Spoiler Alert* The author rambles for nearly 300 pages about her struggle with commitment, only to reveal more than half-way through that they HAD in fact already had their own commitment ceremony. I found the book tedious and at times quite obnoxious. The charm of Elizabeth Gilbert's writing style in EPL was completely missing from this book - instead I found her to be completely too self-aware and unlikeable. I just kept wanting to scream "get over yourself already!" If I hadn't been reading this for my book club, I don't know if I would have even finished it, and I ALWAYS finish books.

message 19: by Kelly (new)

Kelly | 45 comments 14. To the Nines by: Janet Evanovich

One of my favorites from the series so far. I am about 1/3 of the way through "The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay" so that will most likely be #15. I have a few books due back to the library soon though so I may have to put it on hold again. REALLY good so far though, just a long book, and not a page turner.

message 20: by Kelly (new)

Kelly | 45 comments 15. The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay by: Michael Chabon

I rated it 4 stars, but really it is 4.5. I really enjoyed it, the story is epic and the characters have a lot of depth. I did find it wordy though, which is why it isn't 5 stars.

message 21: by Kelly (last edited Apr 25, 2010 07:48AM) (new)

Kelly | 45 comments 16. The Girl Who Played with Fire by Stieg Larsson

5 stars! Such a great fun read - just as good (if not better) than the first one in the trilogy.

message 22: by Kelly (new)

Kelly | 45 comments 17. Club Dead by Charlaine Harris

Not my favorite of the series so far, but still a really fun read.

message 23: by Kelly (last edited Apr 29, 2010 01:12PM) (new)

Kelly | 45 comments 18. Persuasion by: Jane Austen

"Pride and Prejudice" is my all time favorite book, so i don't know how I made it this long without picking up "Persuasion." Loved it!

message 24: by Efe (new)

Efe Kelly wrote: "16. The Girl Who Played with Fire by Stieg Larsson

5 stars! Such a great fun read - just as good (if not better) than the first one in the trilogy."

I so loved this book, wait till you read the third one!

message 25: by Kelly (new)

Kelly | 45 comments Is it out yet? Why did I think it wasn't out? Now I AM excited!

message 26: by Kelly (new)

Kelly | 45 comments 19. Ten Big Ones by: Janet Evanovich Really enjoyed this one! One of my favorites since the beginning of the series.

20. Dead to the World by: Charlaine Harris This series just gets more and more fun. I can't decide which version of "Eric" I like more :).

message 27: by Stacie (new)

Stacie Vetsch Kelly wrote: "19. Ten Big Ones by: Janet Evanovich Really enjoyed this one! One of my favorites since the beginning of the series.

20. Dead to the World by: [autho..."

I LOVED the Sookie Stackhouse series! The books are easy reads and don't take much time at all. It is a great way for you to catch-up and read the 50 books in a year! :)

message 28: by Kelly (new)

Kelly | 45 comments 21. The Help by: Kathryn Stockett

5 Stars!!! Such a wonderful book in so many ways. Highly recommended to everyone.

message 29: by Kelly (new)

Kelly | 45 comments 22. Dead as a Doornail by: Charlaine Harris - good but not the best so far.

23. Eleven on Top by: Janet Evanovich - sadly only 2 stars. Definitely not one of my favorites of the series.

message 30: by Kelly (last edited May 25, 2010 12:31PM) (new)

Kelly | 45 comments 24. A Passage to India by: E.M. Forster

3 stars...I don't know if I just wasn't really in the right mood/state of mind to read this book or what, but I just couldn't get into it. I understand why it is considered to be a great piece of literature, I guess maybe it just wasn't my cup of tea.

message 31: by Kelly (new)

Kelly | 45 comments 25. Born to Run: A Hidden Tribe, Superathletes, and the Greatest Race the World Has Never Seen by: Christopher McDougall

5 Stars! Wow, what an amazing and inspiring book. I recommend this for anyone who loves running, hates running, or anyone who has ever thought about taking up running. I just started distance running in the past few months and have been amazed at how strong I feel. I am training for my first half-marathon, so reading about these people that run 50 or even 100 miles at a time is just mind blowing to me. The characters were great, the information was really interesting and informative. It gave me a whole new boost of energy to continue my training and enjoy doing it!

message 32: by Kelly (new)

Kelly | 45 comments 26. The Hunger Games by: Suzanne Collins

Two five star books in a row, let's hope I can keep it up with my other choices! This book was so wonderful - a complete page turner. I sat down to read a few chapters yesterday while my boys were napping, and two hours later I had finished it. I couldn't put it down! I absolutely cannot wait until I get the next one from the library.

message 33: by Kelly (new)

Kelly | 45 comments 27. Catching Fire by: Suzanne Collins

Okay, just as fabulous as the first one. I can't put into words how much I thoroughly enjoyed these books. It's going to kill me to wait until August for the third book to come out...I may just have to read them again between now and then :).

message 34: by Kelly (new)

Kelly | 45 comments 28. Definitely Dead by: Charlaine Harris

29. All Together Dead by: Charlaine Harris

I swear these books are like mind candy...I just can't stop eating them up!

message 35: by Kelly (new)

Kelly | 45 comments 30. The Lotus Eaters by: Tatjana Soli - 4 stars. A really compelling look at the Vietnam war through the eyes of a photographer.

31. From Dead to Worse by: Charlaine Harris

32. Dead and Gone by: Charlaine Harris.

Now if I can just get the final book from the library I will be able to move on with my life ;) These books are so freaking addicting.

message 36: by Kelly (new)

Kelly | 45 comments 33. Dead in the Family by: Charlaine Harris - One of my favorites in the series. I am a huge Eric/Sookie fan, so any book that has more interaction between them is great imo.

34. The Glass Castle by: Jeannette Walls - 4 stars (although I would give it 4.5 if I could). I really loved the stories of her eccentric family and I could relate to having parents who were more interested in themselves than their children (though not nearly as extreme). I thought her writing voice was wonderful and she told the stories without a strong sense of anger or resentment, which I found really incredible. It goes to show you how you don't have to be a victim of your circumstances.

message 37: by Kelly (new)

Kelly | 45 comments 35. Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil by: John Berendt - 3 stars...a fun read, but I also didn't really understand what ALL the fuss was about.

36. Little Children by: Tom Perrotta - 4 stars. I really enjoyed this even though I wasn't totally expecting to. It was for my bookclub and had heard mixed reviews from other members. I really liked his writing style so I will check out some of his other books now.

message 38: by Lioba (last edited Jul 12, 2010 05:37AM) (new)

Lioba | 138 comments Kelly wrote: "33. Dead in the Family by: Charlaine Harris - One of my favorites in the series. I am a huge Eric/Sookie fan, so any book that has more interaction between them is..."

I loooved The Glass Castle!!! I found it in the bargain bin of a local supermarket and it was the book that brought me back to reading 2 1/2 years ago after forcing myself through maybe one or two books a year for several years. Great book. Have you read The Absence of Nectar by Kathy Hepinstall? I highly recommend it too. It's a similar kind of story, with some crime woven in.

message 39: by Lioba (new)

Lioba | 138 comments Kelly wrote: "21. The Help by: Kathryn Stockett

5 Stars!!! Such a wonderful book in so many ways. Highly recommended to everyone."

I will definitely be sure to read this!! :)

message 40: by Kelly (new)

Kelly | 45 comments No, I haven't heard of that, but I will add it to my list. Thanks for the recommendation!

message 41: by Rose (new)

Rose (obsessedreader9) | 215 comments I agree: the book was interesting, but I probably wouldn't even tell friends I'd read it. (Although I was surprised to learn it was non-fiction.)

message 42: by Kelly (new)

Kelly | 45 comments I haven't updated my list for a while!

37. The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest by Stieg Larsson. What a fabulous way to end the trilogy. I loved each book more than the last. So sad that due to his tragic death we won't be blessed with any more novels from Mr. Larsson.

38. The Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett. I really enjoy historical fiction and this fit right in with some other favorites. It was LONG, I think in order to justice to the subject matter, it needed to be pretty lengthy.

39. Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen. LOVED LOVED LOVED this book! I feel like one of the last members of the book loving world to read this book. My best friend recommended it to me ages ago, but I finally pulled it off my bookshelf to take on vacation and I am so glad that I did!

40. Linger by Maggie Stiefvater. Fairly disappointed in the second book in this series...pretty sure I will not be picking up the third book whenever it comes out (way in the future I am sure). The characters felt so completely chiche in this book that I found it very distracting and difficult to really get into the story.

message 43: by Kelly (new)

Kelly | 45 comments 41. In Defense of Food - Good info and some very startling information re: our food industry. Definitely makes you think before you put certain things in your mouth

42. The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie - fun read, but not quite as good as I was hoping for.

43. The Kingdom of Ohio - I am from OH, so I kind of had to read this. It was interesting, but so very strange. The characters lacked a lot of development imo.

44. Little Bee - I really wanted to love this, but it fell short for me. It started out very strong, but somewhere along the way just lost it for me somehow. There were many parts in the book that were difficult to read (especially if you are a mother).

45. Twelve Sharp - one of the best in the series so far imo. It made me excited to finish up the series before the end of the year :).

message 44: by Kelly (new)

Kelly | 45 comments 46. When You Are Engulfed by Flames. by David Sedaris - not my favorite of his.

47. Cutting for Stone by: Abraham Verghese - *5 stars!!!

48. Mocking Jay by: Suzanne Collins - loved the ending.

49. The Death and Life of Charlie St. Cloud - a nice story, though not a "must-read"

50. Breakfast at Tiffany’s - great story, very short and easy to read.

I made it to 50! Let's see how far I get before the end of the year :)

message 45: by Connie (new)

Connie (conniebury) | 197 comments Congrats Kelly!

message 46: by Donna (new)

Donna | 1350 comments WTG Kelly!

message 47: by Kelly (new)

Kelly | 45 comments Thanks! I have NEVER read 50 books in one year before...next year I am shooting for 75!

message 48: by Nance (new)

Nance (nabpurple12) | 279 comments Kelly wrote: "46. When You Are Engulfed by Flames. by David Sedaris - not my favorite of his.

47. Cutting for Stone by: Abraham Verghese - *5 stars!!!

48. Mocking Jay by: Suzanne Collins - loved the ending..."

Kelly...I have to say that "Cutting for Stone" was just one of the best books that I ever read! It just was such a heartwrenchingly beautiful story that conveyed such a powerful message concerning family. I actually did shed some tears at the end, which doesn't happen too often, and eventually bought the book for my mother-in-law, who just loved the book too.

message 49: by Kelly (new)

Kelly | 45 comments me too! I really felt like it was 100% beautifully conceived from beginning to end. So many times you pick up a book that falls short in some way or another (especially w/the ending) but for me this one was flawless. I have been recommending it to everyone I know.

message 50: by Kelly (new)

Kelly | 45 comments Okay - I have been REALLY bad about updating this thread, but since it is now 2011, I want to complete my 2010 list before I start a new one.

51. The Fiery Cross by: Diana Gabaldon
52. Plum Lovin by: Janet Evanovich
53. Good Things I Wish You by: A. Mannette Ansay
54. Her Fearful Symmetry by: Audrey Niffeneger (Sadly disliked this one immensly)
55. The Forgotten Garden by: Kate Morton (LOVED THIS!!!)
56. Shopgirl by: Steve Martin
57. Lean Mean Thirteen by: Janet Evanovich
58. The Handmaid’s Tale by: Margaret Atwood
59. Plum Lucky by: Janet Evanovich
60. Harry Potters and The Deathly Hallows by: JK Rowling
61. Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close by: Jonathan Safran Foer (WONDERFUL!)
62. Garden Spells by: Sarah Addison Allen (A fun read)
63. Fearless Fourteen by: Janet Evanovich
64. Possession by: A. S. Byatt (sadly, not my kind of book)
65. The Distant Hours by: Kate Morton
66. A Redbird Christmas by: Fannie Flagg
67. Dragon Wing by: Margaret Weiss