Terminalcoffee discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Feeling Nostalgic? The archives > Panera's will now post calories counts on menu boards...

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by RandomAnthony (last edited Mar 12, 2010 03:54AM) (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Corporate-owned Panera (and I like but don't love Panera) restaurants will now post calories counts for each item directly on the menu.

http://www.suntimes.com/business/2096...

What do you think? How will this impact the manner in which people order, if at all? What about profits? Will/should other restaurants follow suit?

I had an egg mcmuffin yesterday, by the way, but I took off the ham. Every now and then I need an egg mcmuffin.

message 2: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments i think more people care than ever before so it will be a good thing. i really think that some people are getting a whopper whether or not it has 54 calories or 2700 calories. it may make a few cringe but they will still have a grease stain on their shirt when the day is done.

btw - i love panera. soup. bread bowl. wonderful. if only they made a cracker spoon too....

(you can use four dots you know)

message 3: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) The Chicago Manual of Style suggests the use of an ellipsis for any omitted word, phrase, line, or paragraph from within a quoted passage. There are two commonly used methods of using ellipsis: one uses three dots for any omission, while the second makes a distinction between omissions within a sentence (using three dots: . . .) and omissions between sentences (using a period and a space followed by three dots: . ...). An ellipsis at the end of a sentence with no sentence following should be followed by a period (for a total of four dots). The Modern Language Association (MLA) however, used to indicate that an ellipsis must include spaces before and after each dot in all uses. If an ellipsis is meant to represent an omission, square brackets must surround the ellipsis to make it clear that there was no pause in the original quote: [ . . . :]. Currently, the MLA has removed the requirement of brackets in their style handbooks. However, the use of brackets is still correct as it clears confusion.

message 4: by janine (new)

janine | 7715 comments i always use brackets and three dots in my papers.

message 5: by RandomAnthony (last edited Mar 12, 2010 05:24AM) (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments One of the interesting developments of the menu issue might be that people think they're ordering healthy but actually aren't. For example, I order a Jimmy John's #13 sometimes, a gourmet veggie club. The sandwich isn't huge or anything, it's just normal...you think it's be ok...and it's got 773 calories (a Big Mac, for comparison, has 485). You can take off the cheese and knock off 200 calories, but fuck that, I want the cheese, so now I knock off the mayonnaise and save 200 calories.

message 6: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Sorry about the diversion.

That's admirable, annagje.

I don't pay nearly as much attention to calories as I should.

message 7: by Gus (new)

Gus Sanchez (gussanchez) I was stunned by how many calories on a Jimmy John's sandwich. One of the ones I like nearly tops at 1,000 calories. Sadly, I don't eat that sandwich anymore.

message 8: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments yeah, like getting a veggie burger at RubyT's. it is still fried like and has a mayo sauce smeared all over it and served with fried onion rings and french fries. the illusion of health. i love when people say i am "watching my diet" and get a big salad from a salad bar with eggs, cheese, bacon bits, fried croutons, nuts and about 2 cups of ranch salad dressing. my fajita is healthier than that

message 9: by janine (new)

janine | 7715 comments i don't really care about calories and in those rare occasions i do look at them they scare me. that's why i decided not to care anymore as long as it doesn't affect my weight, which it doesn't.

message 10: by Gus (new)

Gus Sanchez (gussanchez) Ruby Tuesdays is astonishingly bad for you, even with their revamped menu. No sense in getting a side of steamed broccoli when they're going to slather it with tons of butter and melted cheese. What's the point?

message 11: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments eggzactly gus. the illusion of health. i'll have the triple chocolate landslide melting cake dessert and a diet coke please

message 12: by Sally, la reina (new)

Sally (mrsnolte) | 17333 comments Mod
Larry, you can just skip all that mumbo about the Chicago style manual. MLA is where it is at.

And Kevin, I prefer the taste of the diet coke.

message 13: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Got it. No brackets. I never use brackets. Annigje does, but she's Dutch.

message 14: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments me to sally. i am a dedicated diet coke guy (preferably with a slice of fresh lime NOT the faux "lime diet coke" style) i do the same thing when eating ice cream but i know i am not helping myself too much by having a diet coke. it doesn't neutralize the sundae

message 15: by Sally, la reina (new)

mmmm, yes lime in diet coke is nice. lemon is too.

no neutralization, but refreshment.

message 16: by janine (last edited Mar 12, 2010 08:44AM) (new)

janine | 7715 comments brackets just look [...:] cool.

but i don't like the : gr adds to it.

message 17: by Sally, la reina (new)

[:|] Brackets look robotic to me.

message 18: by Sally, la reina (new)

[:|]--<--<

message 19: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Ah yes the infamous GR bracket colon. I curse it.

message 20: by Matt (new)

Matt | 819 comments In a previous, illustrious career I worked at a St. Louis Bread Company. Back then all of the nutritional information was kept in a big binder behind the counter and anyone who asked could have a look. The most popular soup, broccoli cheddar, contained way more calories and fat than one would expect. I can't remember the exact numbers, but I do remember almost every customer who ever looked at the book shrieking and then changing their order. So yeah, it's a noble move but probably not too smart marketing-wise.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.