Ecclesiastical Thrillers discussion

Thriller/Mystery/Cozy:

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Donna (new)

Donna Crow | 25 comments Mod
How do you define the difference? Which do you prefer?

message 2: by Donna (last edited Mar 11, 2010 08:07PM) (new)

John said Susan Howatch's Healing Centre series isn't a thriller from an action standpoint, but they are certainly psychological cliffhangers. A very intersting point because I agree, and yet I had thought of the definition of thriller as a story with a lot of action and danger. Generally one where the characters move around a lot. So perhaps psychological thriller should be it's own sub-subgenre? I look forward to your comments.

message 3: by Sheila (new)

Sheila Beaumont (sheilabeaumont) In a mystery, the emphasis is on finding out who committed a crime, while in a thriller, it's on catching the bad guys and preventing something terrible from happening. And as John said, thrillers have a lot of action and danger. It's not always easy to classify a book as one or the other. Some are both. On my Goodreads shelves, I make it easy for myself by putting them both on my "mysteries-and-thrillers" shelf.

message 4: by Donna (new)

Ah, "preventing something bad from happening." Very good, Sheila. I had the feling my A Very Private Grave was a thriller because they move around a lot, chasing and being chased by killers (danger element) But I think you're right, the element of trying to keep the treasure from falling into the wrong hands is an important part of the definition.

So then, cozies and procedurals are both mysteries, just getting more characterization in cozies and more process in procedurals??

message 5: by Sheila (new)

Sheila Beaumont (sheilabeaumont) I recently finished the latest in Deborah Crombie's police-procedural series, Necessary as Blood, and it, like the rest of the series, has great characterization. The series also features lots of home and family scenes, so I think it might also qualify as cozy. Some mysteries fall into more than one category.

message 6: by Donna (new)

At the end of the day characteriztion is the thing in any genre or sub-genre, isn't it? And not just the characters, but the relationships between them. In the ecclesiastical thriller area, I would put Phil Rickman at the top of the list in the relationship arena. And then there's the relationship between Cally Anson and her brother and the black priest whose name I can't remember, and all the others in Kate Charles--just to mention a few. I'm getting Julia Spencer-Fleming's early chapters of I Shall Not Want from my Dear Reader book club. I'm anxious to see what's new between Clare and Van.

message 7: by Donna (new)

Hi Pat,

Thanks for joining in. "A lot of catching up to do" Don't we all!! And it just gets worse with things like GoodReads where I learn about MORE I want to read! I suggest you put Phil Rickman's Merrily Watkins series high on your list of Ecclesiastical Thrillers, however.

message 8: by Donna (new)

Just read a great definition of the dividing line between mysteries and thrillers today on the Poe's Deadly Daughters blog. Quoting one of my favorite authors, Julia Spencer-Fleming: Protagonist's goal in a mystery is to solve a murder; in a thriller, to foil a villain. By that definition some Sherlock Holmes, I'm thinking of "The Speckled Band," would be a thriller. Hmmm, interesting.

message 9: by Sheila (new)

Sheila Beaumont (sheilabeaumont) I like both mysteries and thrillers, everything from the coziest of cozies to tough-guy thrillers like the Jack Reacher series. I noticed that the Mystery, Crime and Thriller Group is also currently discussing "crime thriller or mystery?"