The Phantom's Opera: Book and Musical discussion

Characters > The Persian

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Hope (new)

Hope I think The Persian is sorely neglected. He is a very important character in the book, but since not a lot of people have read the book they don't even know about him.

message 2: by Rachel (new)

Rachel (hirumayoichis) He was cool!

message 3: by Ali (new)

Ali | 1 comments He was definitely my favorite character the first time I read the book... Then I saw the movie and thought, "What? When does the Persian show up?" and it never happened!

message 4: by Emily (new)

Emily Eastman | 7 comments I was dissapointed after reading the book that the persion wasn't in the movie (and the torture chamber). That one scene with the Persian and Roal trying to find Christine was the climax of the whole story and I loved Erik's transformation in the end. The movie left out all the good stuff. ):

message 5: by Hope (new)

Hope Yes, I did like the movie adaption, though. I almost feel like they're two different stories.

message 6: by Emily (last edited Jun 26, 2010 09:01AM) (new)

Emily Eastman | 7 comments Me too and if you see the brodway it's almost like a 3rd different story but based on the same things as the 2 others. I still love the movie, musical, and book though. They are all good.

message 7: by Hope (new)

Hope I haven't seen the play, but I would love to!

message 8: by Emily (new)

Emily  (toofondofbooks_) The Persian is definitely one of the most important characters. He should've been in the musical.

In the musical, Mme. Giry sort of takes on the role of the Persian. Don't you think?

message 9: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (goodreadscomjennifer_deschanel) | 7 comments Madame Giry does take on the role of the Persian in the Musical being both Erik's servant and the one to lead Raoul to his lair, which was the Persian's role in the book. In addition, Giry has the connection to Erik's past, which in Leroux's novel we we see in the Persian as well.

message 10: by Emily (new)

Emily Eastman | 7 comments Yeah. The book made Madame Giry look sort of dumb. I like the way the musical and movie made her appear better.

message 11: by Emily (new)

Emily  (toofondofbooks_) Yeah the book made her seem like, a stupid old woman. Sort of like a know-nothing. But in the musical, she's one of the most important characters.

i wish the persian was included in the musical though.

message 12: by Hope (new)

Hope I agree. I wish the persian was in the musical. I'm kind of on the fence for Meg, because she's different in the book and musical, too.

message 13: by Emily (new)

Emily  (toofondofbooks_) yeah. like Christine and Meg aren't even friends in the book really

message 14: by Hope (new)

Hope I know, it's weird...