Debate discussion

144 views
Religion > Fucking Annoying

Comments Showing 1-50 of 134 (134 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (djinni) | 7365 comments Mod
I saw that on Tumblr. Disgusting.


message 2: by Luz (new)

Luz I dont see why they had to cancel the prom? Its so absurd.


message 3: by J. (new)

J. Guevara (jguevara) | 70 comments Did anyone read the comments? even more disgusting. Most are against the girls. Sick. This IS the 21st century, no? Or is my calendar broke? Almost make you hope the Mayans are right.


message 4: by Liz (new)

Liz (lizgore) | 3163 comments wow. horrible.


message 5: by J. (new)

J. Guevara (jguevara) | 70 comments don't be to quick to chastise, Xox. Until humanity gets it shit together we need the Christians to keep the Muslims in line, and the Muslims to keep the Hindus in check and the Hindus to keep an eye on the Chinese. Kinda like the balance of nature. She's taken all that into consideration, so we have time to evolve. but she may be running out of patience. lol

"Their are many things I would die for, but nothing I wold kill for."

j guevara


message 6: by jessi (new)

jessi (infinitevantage) | 437 comments How about the non-religious just keep all the religious people in check, since we're not biased towards any certain brand of bullshit?


message 7: by Dan (new)

Dan This is disgusting. It's bad enough they're discriminating against her, but to cancel the whole prom just so the whole school turns against her is ridiculous. They could have just not allowed her to attend, but instead they decide to make sure everyone knows that the stupid lesbians ruined their prom. Why don't they just hold a public stoning; it would be faster.


message 8: by Emily (new)

Emily (emilyamazingxx) | 2237 comments That's disgusting...I can't even look at that article anymore.


message 9: by Vїllaїп (new)

Vїllaїп (lost_machina) | 59 comments "The ACLU has intervened in too many areas of our lives. They have done everything possible to take God out of our lives and society and have been successful too many times. These self righteous fools have concentrated entirely on the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob, but would never open its mouth about Islam and its God of hatred or any other religion which claims to worship other gods. The school had no other choice and its wrong that one person can ruin the lives of so many others."

Comment on the article. That's bullshit.


message 10: by J. (new)

J. Guevara (jguevara) | 70 comments Hatter,
Your profile says you're in the UK. How does the ACLU intervene in your life? I don't think they have a branch in the UK. And I'd bet you're not a Dawkins fan, right? What was your take on those signs that were put on the buses? allow or no?

to the point, your comments about the ACLU are off the mark. Standing up for what is right does not make one "self-righteous". Basically, the ACLU protects the minority from the tyranny of the majority. I don't always agree with the causes they defend, but I agree with the principle behind it. Defending is not the same as supporting. Allow the system one illegal screw, and the next one may come back on you.

j guevara


ImperatriceofGloom | 6 comments I'm a Christian, but that seems like a load of crap that they canceled the prom! Just because the girl wanted to take her date to the prom!!

As a Christian, I believe that homosexuality is wrong, but I can't judge or discriminate, because other people might not agree with the same things as me, but they don't judge and discriminate against me.


message 12: by Vїllaїп (new)

Vїllaїп (lost_machina) | 59 comments Umm, j? I was quoting someone who commented on the yahoo website, those aren't my thoughts at all.I'm an Atheist, that's why I said that comment was bull. I think that the school board is making a huge fuss about it, when there's no reason to even argue. Would they be hurting anyone? Would wearing a tux completely ruin everything? No.


message 13: by J. (last edited Jul 25, 2010 08:12PM) (new)

J. Guevara (jguevara) | 70 comments Opppps, sorry Hatter. totally missed the quotation marks. My bad. Old timers disease, ya know. tell Dawkins I sent greeting, wudja?

did you read the comments posted on the article? 95% against the girls.

again, my apologies.
j guevara


message 14: by Vїllaїп (new)

Vїllaїп (lost_machina) | 59 comments =) Course.

I know! I think it's so stupid that so many people are against them. And saying: 'This is why my children are home schooled'? Seriously?!


message 15: by J. (new)

J. Guevara (jguevara) | 70 comments Hatter, this is only one of the reasons why I home school mine. the main reason, though, is education. I teach them how to think, not what to think. the difference between education and indoctrination, which is all they get in schools. My kids call it home's cool. Ok, so they don't know the Hail Mary, but they can find Washington DC, or any other capitol, on a map -- if you pay em one peso, that is.

Xox, the problem is that their god is too small. but what can they do, he's all they got. Ask him.

j guevara


message 16: by J. (new)

J. Guevara (jguevara) | 70 comments "When it comes to bullshit, big-time, major league bullshit, you have to stand in awe of the all-time champion of false promises and exaggerated claims, religion. No contest. No contest. Religion. Religion easily has the greatest bullshit story ever told. Think about it. Religion has actually convinced people that there's an invisible man living in the sky who watches everything you do, every minute of every day. And the invisible man has a special list of ten things he does not want you to do. And if you do any of these ten things, he has a special place, full of fire and smoke and burning and torture and anguish, where he will send you to live and suffer and burn and choke and scream and cry forever and ever 'til the end of time!

But He loves you. He loves you, and He needs money! He always needs money! He's all-powerful, all-perfect, all-knowing, and all-wise, somehow just can't handle money! Religion takes in billions of dollars, they pay no taxes, and they always need a little more. Now, you talk about a good bullshit story. Holy Shit!

But I want you to know something, this is sincere, I want you to know, when it comes to believing in God, I really tried. I really, really tried. I tried to believe that there is a God, who created each of us in His own image and likeness, loves us very much, and keeps a close eye on things. I really tried to believe that, but I gotta tell you, the longer you live, the more you look around, the more you realize, something is fucked up.

Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed. Results like these do not belong on the résumé of a Supreme Being. This is the kind of shit you'd expect from an office temp with a bad attitude. And just between you and me, in any decently-run universe, this guy would've been out on his all-powerful ass a long time ago. And by the way, I say "this guy", because I firmly believe, looking at these results, that if there is a God, it has to be a man.

No woman could or would ever fuck things up like this. So, if there is a God, I think most reasonable people might agree that he's at least incompetent, and maybe, just maybe, doesn't give a shit. Doesn't give a shit, which I admire in a person, and which would explain a lot of these bad results."

George Carlin (rip brother, rip)


message 17: by Maurice (new)

Maurice Whitehurst (PhilosophyJones) | 74 comments j wrote: ""When it comes to bullshit, big-time, major league bullshit, you have to stand in awe of the all-time champion of false promises and exaggerated claims, religion. No contest. No contest. Religion. ..."

Looking at the whole of man I wonder what kind of god would these men make as they question the right of a God to exist with the same freedom they bestow upon themselves.


ImperatriceofGloom | 6 comments Øperation Øverlord wrote: "=) Course.

I know! I think it's so stupid that so many people are against them. And saying: 'This is why my children are home schooled'? Seriously?!"


Hey!! There's nothing wrong with being homeschooled!!! ;)


ImperatriceofGloom | 6 comments Xox wrote: "ANDIE ~*Professor Coral Reif*~ wrote: "I'm a Christian, but that seems like a load of crap that they canceled the prom! Just because the girl wanted to take her date to the prom!!

As a Christian, ..."


I grew up in the church, so it was what I just always believed in. But now that I'm older, I can make my own choices, I still hang on to the belief that God Almighty created the whole world and everything in it and is in charge of it all and has complete power and control over it all. But he lets us have the choice to believe in him or not, just hoping we will allow him into our hearts and become friends with him.
I'm not gonna lie, I've questioned God many times, but he's shown himself to me several times and I couldn't hate him. To me he's a wonderful, loving friend, who just happens to be Lord.

My God did say homosexuality is wrong, and since God said it, I support it 100%. Why would he even make females otherwise?? If Adam needed a companion, why not make another male? But God made a female for a reason!!!!!

I'm sorry if you haven't had the great relationship experience with God that I have, but I'm a Christian, and that's my choice, and I've chosen to serve Christ.

I'm not trying to preach a sermon (although it sounds like I have, doesn't it?) or tell you that your beliefs are wrong and mine are right, because I don't know that!! That's what having faith is all about. If I'm wrong, I guess I'll find out when I die.


message 20: by Dan (new)

Dan But he lets us have the choice to believe in him or not, just hoping we will allow him into our hearts and become friends with him.

It's not really a choice, though, is it? If he was really giving us a choice, then he wouldn't turn around and punish us with an infinite punishment if we chose the way he didn't want.

he's shown himself to me several times

What does this mean? How has he shown himself to you?

My God did say homosexuality is wrong, and since God said it, I support it 100%.

I'm assuming, then, that you are 100% supportive of other things God has said. For example, I assume you think it's 100% wrong to wear blended fabrics.


message 21: by Sheeky (new)

Sheeky (sheekster) Which version of Christianity is that? I have never heard of it being wrong to wear blended fabrics or beat disobedient children to death or toiling on the Sabbath. Is it Seventh-day Adventist?


message 22: by Dan (new)

Dan Which version of Christianity is that?

The version that reads the whole Bible.


message 23: by Justin (new)

Justin | 2 comments Hello


message 24: by Lauren (last edited Jun 21, 2010 08:11AM) (new)

Lauren (djinni) | 7365 comments Mod
"I have never heard of it being wrong to wear blended fabrics or beat disobedient children"

Have you read Leviticus? Like, at all?


message 25: by Sheeky (new)

Sheeky (sheekster) Nope. Not yet. I'm working on it.


message 26: by Sheeky (new)

Sheeky (sheekster) But I asked my mom about it (yes, she's Christian too) and she said "What's wrong with wearing blended fabrics?" And I was like isn't it a sin or something? And then she said. "Can't be a sin. Clothes are made to be worn aren't they?" (or something like that. o.o)


message 27: by Sheeky (new)

Sheeky (sheekster) Lauren wrote: ""I have never heard of it being wrong to wear blended fabrics or beat disobedient children"

Have you read Leviticus? Like, at all?"


I said beat disobedient children TO DEATH. Not just beat.


message 28: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (djinni) | 7365 comments Mod
""Can't be a sin. Clothes are made to be worn aren't they?" "

19:19 Leviticus "...neither shall a garment mingled of linen and woollen come upon thee."


message 29: by Sheeky (new)

Sheeky (sheekster) Linen and wool? I've heard of cotton and spandex, just not linen and wool. Interesting.....


message 30: by Sheeky (new)

Sheeky (sheekster) Nathan wrote: "And then she said. "Can't be a sin. Clothes are made to be worn aren't they?"

Guns are made to shoot people. Does that mean killing people is not a sin?


What do guns and killing people have to do with this?


message 31: by Sheeky (new)

Sheeky (sheekster) Great. However, that is what the Bible says. Disobedient children should be beaten to death.

That's in Leviticus?


message 32: by Sheeky (new)

Sheeky (sheekster) Keep in mind, afterward, I said "something like that" which means I THINK she said something around those lines. But about guns......aren't guns sometimes used for self-defense purposes or hunting?


message 33: by Sheeky (last edited Jun 22, 2010 10:08AM) (new)

Sheeky (sheekster) I noted that guns are made to kill people, so by her rationale, they too must not be sinful.

Killing others is a sin in my religion, yes. But I don't think the gun is a sin or anything.


message 34: by Sheeky (new)

Sheeky (sheekster) Wait hold on, I read that first post.......a lesbian student can't attend prom. Man, that's jacked the hell up.


message 35: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (djinni) | 7365 comments Mod
"That's in Leviticus? "

Why don't you read the Bible then?


message 36: by Sheeky (new)

Sheeky (sheekster) Lauren wrote: ""That's in Leviticus? "

Why don't you read the Bible then?"


I read it, but not as much as I should. I'm should go do that.........


message 37: by Sheeky (new)

Sheeky (sheekster) I mean to say I instead of I'm.


message 38: by Sheeky (new)

Sheeky (sheekster) I know. But for some reason I don't like editing posts.


message 39: by [deleted user] (new)

Nathan wrote: "I know. But for some reason I don't like editing posts.

Of course, much better to make a completely new post about how you didn't mean "I'm" but rather "I," instead of simply changing "I'm" to "I...."


I completely understand her logic.


message 40: by [deleted user] (new)

Nathan wrote: "I completely understand her logic.

I don't. I understand not editing a post where you said something stupid or something incorrect, but I don't understand not editing a grammatical error."


Sarcasm~


message 41: by Sheeky (new)

Sheeky (sheekster) Well, sorry. I just simply don't like editing posts. That gray thing distracts me.


message 42: by Sheeky (new)

Sheeky (sheekster) Okay, I'll tell you what. I'll try to edit my posts from here on out.


message 43: by Marley (new)

Marley (Marleyme95) | 5270 comments How nice of you Sheeky? Gray thing?


message 44: by Sheeky (new)

Sheeky (sheekster) Yeah. When you edit a post it says something like "last edited on: time, date". I tend to notice things that don't distract others.


ImperatriceofGloom | 6 comments .....

'Let me explain the problem science has with religion.' The atheist
Professor of philosophy pauses before his class and then asks one of his new
Students to stand.
'You're a Christian, aren't you son?'

'Yes sir,' the student says.

'So you believe in God?'

'Absolutely.'

'Is God good?'

'Sure! God's good.'

'Is God all-powerful? Can God do anything?'

'Yes'

'Are you good or evil?'

'The Bible says I'm evil.'

The professor grins knowingly. 'Aha! the Bible!' He Considers for a moment. 'Here's one for you. Let's say there's a sick person over here and you can cure him. You can do it. Would you help him? Would you try?'

'Yes sir, I would.'

'So you're good...!'

'I wouldn't say that.'

'But why not say that? You'd help a sick and maimed person if you could. Most of us would if we could. But God doesn't.'

The student does not answer, so the professor continues.

'He doesn't, does he? My brother was a Christian who died of cancer,
Even though he prayed to Jesus to heal him. How is this Jesus good? Hmmm? Can you answer that one?'

The student remains silent.

'No, you can't, can you?' the professor says. He Takes a sip of water from a glass on his desk to give the student time to relax. 'Let's start again, young fella. Is God good?'

'Er..yes,' the student says.

Professor: 'Is Satan good?'

The student doesn't hesitate on this one. 'No.'

'Then where does Satan come from?'

The student falters. 'From God'

'That's right.. God made Satan, didn't he? Tell me, Son. Is there evil in this world?'

'Yes, sir..'

'Evil's everywhere, isn't it? And God did make Everything, correct?'

'Yes'

'So who created evil?' The professor continued, 'If God created everything, then God created evil, since evil exists, and according to the principle that our works define who we are, then God is evil.'

Again, the student has no answer. 'Is there sickness? Immorality? Hatred? Ugliness? All these terrible things, do they exist in this World?'

The student squirms on his feet. 'Yes.'

'So who created them?'

The student does not answer again, so the professor repeats his Question. 'Who created them?' There is still no answer. Suddenly the lecturer breaks away to pace in front of the classroom. The class is mesmerized.'Tell me,' he continues onto another student. 'Do you believe in Jesus Christ, son?'

The student's voice betrays him and cracks. 'Yes, Professor, I do.'

The old man stops pacing. 'Science says you have five Senses you use to identify and observe the world around you. Have you ever Seen Jesus?'

'No sir. I've never seen Him.'

'Then tell us if you've ever heard your Jesus?'

'No, sir, I have not.'

'Have you ever felt your Jesus, tasted your Jesus or smelt Your Jesus? Have you ever had any sensory perception of Jesus Christ, or God for that matter?'

'No, sir, I'm afraid I haven't.'

'Yet you still believe in him?'

'Yes'

'According to the rules of empirical, testable, Demonstrable protocol, science says your God doesn't exist. What do you say to that, son?'

'Nothing,' the student replies. 'I only have my Faith.'

'Yes, faith,' the professor repeats. '

And that is the problem science has with God. There is no evidence, only faith.'

The student stands quietly for a moment, before asking a Question of His own. 'Professor, is there such thing as heat?'

' yes.

'And is there such a thing as cold?'

'Yes, son, there's cold too..'

'No sir, there isn't.'

The professor turns to face the student, obviously interested. The room suddenly becomes very quiet. The student begins to explain. 'You can have lots of heat, even more heat, super-heat, mega-heat, unlimited Heat, white heat , a little heat or no heat, but we don't have anything called 'cold'. We can hit up to 458 degrees below zero, which is no heat, but we can't go any further after that. There is no such thing as cold; otherwise we would be able to go colder than the lowest -458 degrees.'
'Every body or object is susceptible to study when it has or transmits energy, and heat is what makes a body or matter have or transmitenergy. Absolute zero (-458 F) is the total absence of heat. You see, sir, cold is only a word we use to describe the absence of heat. We cannot measure cold. Heat we can measure in thermal units because heat is energy. Cold is not the opposite of heat, sir, just the absence of it.'

Silence across the room. A pen drops somewhere in the classroom, sounding like a hammer.

'What about darkness, professor. Is there such a thing as darkness?'

'Yes,' the professor replies without hesitation. 'What is night if it isn't darkness?'

'You're wrong again, sir. Darkness is not something; it is the absence of something. You can have low light, normal light, bright light,flashing light, but if you have no light constantly you have nothing and it's called darkness, isn't it? That's the meaning we use to define the word.''In reality, darkness isn't. If it were, you would be able to make darkness darker, wouldn't you?'

The professor begins to smile at the student in front of him. This will be a good semester. 'So what point are you making, young man?'

'Yes, professor. My point is, your philosophical premise is flawed to start with, and so your conclusion must also be flawed.'

The professor's face cannot hide his surprise this time.'Flawed? Can you explain how?'

'You are working on the premise of duality,' the student explains. 'You argue that there is life and then there's death; a good God and a bad God. You are viewing the concept of God as something finite, something we can measure. Sir, science can't even explain a thought.'

'It uses electricity and magnetism , but it has never seen, much less fully understood either one. To view death as the opposite of life is to be ignorant of the fact that death cannot exist as a substantive thing. Death is not the opposite of life, just the absence of it.'

'Now tell me, professor. Do you teach your students that they evolved from a monkey?'

'If you are referring to the natural evolutionary process, young man, yes, of course I do.'

'Have you ever observed evolution with your own eyes, sir?'

The professor begins to shake his head, still smiling, as he realizes where the argument is going. A very good semester, indeed..

'Since no one has ever observed the process of evolution at work and cannot even prove that this process is an on-going endeavor, are you not teaching your opinion, sir? Are you now not a scientist, but a preacher?'The class is in uproar. The student remains silent until the commotion has subsided.
'To continue the point you were making earlier to the other student, let me give you an example of what I mean.'The student looks around the room. ' Is there anyone in the class who has ever seen the professor's brain?' The class breaks out into laughter. 'Is there anyone here who has ever heard the professor's brain, felt the professor's brain, touched or smelt the professor's brain? No one appears to have done so.
So, according to the established rules of empirical, stable, demonstrable protocol, science says that you have no brain, with all due respect, sir.So if science says you have no brain, how can we trust your lectures, sir?'

Now the room is silent. The professor just stares at the student, his face unreadable. Finally, after what seems an eternity, the old man answers. 'I guess you'll have to take them on faith.'

'Now, you accept that there is faith, and, in fact, faith exists with life,' the student continues. 'Now, sir, is there such a thing as evil?'

Now uncertain, the professor responds, 'Of course, there is. We see it everyday. It is in the daily example of man's inhumanity to man. It is in the multitude of crime and violence everywhere in the world. These manifestations are nothing else but evil.'

To this the student replied, 'Evil does not exist sir, or at least it does not exist unto itself. Evil is simply the absence of God. It is just like darkness and cold, a word that man has created to describe the
absence of God. God did not create evil. Evil is the result of what happens when man does not have God's love present in his heart. It's like the cold that comes when there is no heat or the darkness that comes when there is no light.'

The professor sat down.


message 46: by Sheeky (new)

Sheeky (sheekster) :) That made me smile.


message 47: by jessi (new)

jessi (infinitevantage) | 437 comments *headdesk*


message 48: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (djinni) | 7365 comments Mod
If I cracked open your skull, I doubt I would find a brain either. That doesn't mean you can assume the rest of us don't have any brains.

"'Have you ever observed evolution with your own eyes, sir?'"

That's a stupid question, but yes, it is possible to "see" evolution. Within fruit flies, generations pass so quickly the acquisition of improved traits is visible to humans. After x number of years, what you end of with would be vastly different than what you started with.


message 49: by Dan (new)

Dan So once upon a time there was this professor, and he said to his class, "Hey everyone, God loves you." And then a student raised her hand and said, "No, professor. There is no god." And then the professor said, "Whoa! You're right. You just blew my mind."


message 50: by [deleted user] (new)

-_______-


« previous 1 3
back to top