What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED: One specific book > Historical fiction trilogy based in the Orient, American man sailed on spice ship there

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Wendy (new)

Wendy (wendyblue1) | 10 comments Approx 20 years ago I read a trilogy based in the Orient. I loved it sooo much that I really want to read it again.
From what I can remember it involved an American man sailing on a spice ship to the Orient.
That's all I can remember.

I would appreciate anyone's help or input.

message 2: by CLM (new)

CLM | 303 comments Could it be one of James Clavell's series?

message 3: by Wendy (new)

Wendy (wendyblue1) | 10 comments CLM wrote: "Could it be one of James Clavell's series?"

Nope that's not it but thank you.

message 4: by Tess (new)

Tess | 438 comments here's a list that has a bunch of historical fiction set in China
http://www.historicalnovels.info/Asia...

Is it fiction, by the way?

message 5: by Wendy (new)

Wendy (wendyblue1) | 10 comments Tess wrote: "here's a list that has a bunch of historical fiction set in China
http://www.historicalnovels.info/Asia...

Is it fiction, by the way?"

Yes it is fiction
and thanks for the list - I will check :)

message 6: by Tess (new)

Tess | 438 comments http://www.amazon.com/Shanghai-Novel-...

found this one too, but not sure if it fits your description

message 7: by Wendy (new)

Wendy (wendyblue1) | 10 comments Tess wrote: "http://www.amazon.com/Shanghai-Novel-...

found this one too, but not sure if it fits your description"

Thanks Tess - that's not it. And I couldn't find the books on your other list either :(
Very strange

message 8: by Tess (new)

Tess | 438 comments well, I kept doing google searches, so maybe you can try different variations of what you can remember? Best of luck

message 9: by Wendy (new)

Wendy (wendyblue1) | 10 comments Tess wrote: "well, I kept doing google searches, so maybe you can try different variations of what you can remember? Best of luck"

Thanks so much Tess :)

message 11: by Michele (new)

Michele | 2425 comments Do you remember when it was set -- 1800s, 1900s? Anything about the main character -- was he the captain of the ship, or just a member of the crew, or a passenger? Was there a romance involved? Was the man upper class, lower class, middle class?Since it was a trilogy there must have been lots of other events that happened -- do you remember any? Even little snippets of information might trigger somebody's memory.

message 12: by Wendy (new)

Wendy (wendyblue1) | 10 comments Michele wrote: "Do you remember when it was set -- 1800s, 1900s? Anything about the main character -- was he the captain of the ship, or just a member of the crew, or a passenger? Was there a romance involved? ..."

Hmmmm it was so many years ago but I believe he was the Captain and yes there was a romance. I believe the cargo may may been spices.

message 13: by Michele (new)

Michele | 2425 comments It was historical fiction, then, no elements of fantasy or supernatural?

message 14: by Wendy (new)

Wendy (wendyblue1) | 10 comments Michele wrote: "It was historical fiction, then, no elements of fantasy or supernatural?"

Just historical fiction

message 15: by Michele (new)

Michele | 2425 comments "Orient" could mean China, Japan, anywhere in Asia. Do you remember a specific country?

message 16: by Wendy (new)

Wendy (wendyblue1) | 10 comments Michele wrote: ""Orient" could mean China, Japan, anywhere in Asia. Do you remember a specific country?"

No Michele I'm sorry I don't

message 17: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 40227 comments Mod
Wendy, are you still looking for this trilogy?

message 18: by Wendy (new)

Wendy (wendyblue1) | 10 comments I am :)

message 19: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 40227 comments Mod
Still looking now?

message 20: by Wendy (new)

Wendy (wendyblue1) | 10 comments I haven't been able to find it yet.

message 21: by Amber (Daisymau) (new)

Amber (Daisymau) (daisymau) | 1331 comments I'm trying to remember, but I think author Julia Fitzgerald wrote some historical's about the Orient.