The Office breakroom discussion

Thoughts on the finale?

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sara (new)

Sara Batkie Personally I've found season 4 to be rather rocky as far as episode quality goes but the finale blew it out of the park for me. The new HR lady thinking Kevin is "special". Jan's pregnancy (though not by Michael). Andy proposing instead of Jim. All gold. Hope it keeps up the momentum next season. Any predictions? I think Jim and Pam are headed for some trouble. And I'd love for Holly to come back for a little while.

message 2: by Jackie (last edited May 19, 2008 11:53AM) (new)

Jackie (jaclynfre) | 24 comments Mod
I completely agree with you--however, the weight of the Jim and Pam situation has lost all of its magic for me. I'm trying to figure out why. I feel really bad about that. Maybe that's the point though, that when a "will they / won't they" relationship ultimately comes together what next? When do the awkward moments begin? Perhaps, that's it!! I was secretly anticipating more awkward and less, just another annoyingly happy couple.

Jan's pregnancy was so clever the way it was revealed and her reasoning behind it--that's what I love about The Office. Its ability to plug into the self-indulgent zeitgeist of our culture and reflect it back to us in such self-revealing ways (enough with the selfs already!).

Finally, Holly was great. I felt somehow she was a nod to the British version--did I detect a covered up accent on her or was it more obvious? Anyway, I actually was hoping for another person of color to join the staff, but maybe that will come later.

I also loved Phyllis' triumph!!

message 3: by Sara (new)

Sara Batkie All great points. I forgot to give a shout out to Phyllis. I always love to see them make time for the other cast members. And Creed trying to figure his job out was priceless.

I agree with you on Jim and Pam, though I think they still have a good rapport (the whole thing before Michael's song was cute). But keeping relationships fresh on a weekly TV show can be quite a challenge. The shows who do/did it well are few and far between (the Carla/Turk and Dr.Cox/Jordan relationships on Scrubs jump to mind but they're also not the leads). But I feel the way they're heading right now is good. Everything can't be wine and roses all the time!

message 4: by Jackie (new)

I love Carla and Turk!! Oh my gosh!!

message 5: by Jackie (last edited Jun 11, 2008 07:10AM) (new)

Did anyone notice that the writers of the show finally got their real-life connection to "The Wire," a show which they so adore? Yes, Amy Ryan.

I was really hoping they could have lured: Wendell Pierce, Lance Reddick, or I don't know Idris freaking Elba! The comedic possibilities of a Toby being replaced by a Bunk? Oh my gosh!!! Or even Daniels?!! Or, yes I said it, Stringer Bell? I'm chuckling just considering this possibility. I would so like to see Gbenga Akinnagbe, Jamie Hector, Corey Parker Robinson, Seth Gilliam or even Domineck Lombardozzi on the set of "The Office" as well! Or anywhere! I miss them and want to see them working!

Do you think that a role on "The Office" would diminish these characters? Please!! I have nothing against this per se, but Tristan Wilds is going to be on the new "90210." Enough said. I don't want to pre-judge, but c'mon! The Office would not be a step-down if 90210 is the best Hollywood can offer Tristan Wilds! This is not HBO, this is tv. But I'll keep an open mind, for now. (c;