J.D. Robb discussion

Archives > recommendations for other books?

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Wendy Darling (last edited Mar 11, 2010 10:40AM) (new)

Wendy Darling (wendydarling) Hello friends! I recently found J.D. Robb books, and I'm curious if you have recommendations for other similar authors you enjoy?

I like the procedural style and humor in these, but I could take or leave the more explicit romantic parts of this series. (some is okay, but I'm often impatient when I come across them. Been there, done that, let's have another dead body!) I've tried to read a couple of other non-J.D. Robb books from Nora Roberts, but have not found anything that's similar...any specific book recommendations for well-written mysteries are welcome.

Other serial killer mystery-type authors I like:

Karin Slaughter
Tess Gerritsen
Mo Hayder
Linda Howard
Chelsea Cain

Also enjoy, though they're a little more dry:
Beverly Connor
Kathryn Fox (most of them)

I tend to like female authors in this genre better, since they are better at the emotional/getting-in-your-head parts. But I'm willing to give guys a shot, too.

PS, I'm glad there are (approx) 2 J.D. Robb books a year. More please!

message 2: by Vicki (new)

Vicki | 47 comments I really like the Robert CraisElvis Cole series.

message 3: by Wendy Darling (new)

Wendy Darling (wendydarling) Thanks Vicki! I'll check them out.

Would love more suggestions if anyone has 'em...

message 4: by Vanessa (new)

Vanessa (vanessamc) | 646 comments I don't know exactly what you like, but here are a few suggestions.

Mariah Stewart has a great FBI series that she makes into trilogies. The leads change, but are often members of the same family or circle of friends within the bureau.

The New Orleans series from Lisa Jackson

You also might try Iris Johansen, Julie Garwood or Catherine Coulter.

Careful with Coulter and Garwood, though, they started out as romance writers like Nora Roberts and have tons of books in that genre. This also translates into sex scenes in the mystery ones. I know what you mean about those, though. I usually skip over them if I can, especially if there's not a lot of dialog.

Also, if you haven't read Coulter's FBI series, then The Cove and the The Maze are a great place to start.

Another excellent FBI series is the Noah Bishop one by Kay Hooper. These have a psychic element to them, if you like that sort of thing.

message 5: by LadyCalico (new)

LadyCalico Vicki wrote: "I really like the Robert CraisElvis Cole series."

Thanks, Vicki, I loved Crais's Elvis Cole books and have now read all of them except for the newest (waiting for paperback.) I even read the stand-alone Crais books which I'd have enjoyed more if they didn't make me really missed our guys. I even prefer them to the Robb books and am having a hard time really enjoying any other series since getting hooked on Elvis and Joe.

message 6: by LadyCalico (last edited Apr 13, 2010 11:52AM) (new)

LadyCalico There is one series I've really enjoyed while awaiting the next Robb/Crais/Connelly/ Evanovich book, Stieg Larsson's Milennium Trilogy--The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, The Girl Who Played with Fire, and The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest. The third book won't be published in America until mid-May, but I was able to order a British copy since I couldn't wait that long; I needed to finish them while the characters were still fresh in my memory. My copy of "Hornet's Nest" is now being mailed around to other friends who also can't wait until mid-May. Sadly, Larsson died and there will be no more of his completed books to look forward to.

message 7: by Wendy Darling (new)

Wendy Darling (wendydarling) Hi Vanessa--thanks for your recommendations! I forgot, I do like the Kay Hooper series, too. They tend to be very similar in most cases, but every once in awhile there will be a really good one in there.

I haven't had as much luck with the other authors you mentioned, maybe I'm just reading the wrong ones. Are there any particular mysteries by those authors you like? They're pretty prolific, help in weeding out the good ones would be appreciated.

PS. I totally don't mind sex scenes as long as they either add something to the story or...are really *good* sex scenes. (!) I think Linda Howard writes some really hot and heavy stuff, for example, and a lot of her books are more internal anyway, rather than specifically mystery/action-driven like the J.D. Robb series is, so they don't seem as much of an interruption.

Lola, I am halfway through Girl with the Dragon Tattoo and I'm really enjoying it as well.

message 8: by LadyCalico (new)

LadyCalico Mimi, Happy reading and congratulations on persisting through the slow part--things will really pick up until the end of the third book.

message 9: by Dee (new)

Dee Sauter (indeathaddict) | 1070 comments This is not murder mystery but Christine Feehan has several different series out: The Dark Series Carpathian novels, The Drake Sisters novel, The Ghost Walkers novels, Leopard Series, etc.