Jane Austen discussion

General Discussion > Jane Austen GR Advert

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Usako (new)

Usako (bbmeltdown) | 226 comments Saw this Goodreads advertisment and yet when I compared to the book's description I feel like I've been jipped!

Ad: Twist legend into truth... Camelot is not myth but history in this twist on Jane Austen's era.

Book: To His Mistress by Ann Tracy Marr

Book Desc: Twist legend into truth… Merlin's magic thrives in the Regency.

Katherine Scoville is compromised by--and must marry--the Earl of Shelton. Between his stubborn insistence that she tricked him and her naïve belief in happy ever after, the battle lines are set. She wants a conventional union. He desires Katherine as his mistress.

Meanwhile, two magicians secretly wager on the success of the marriage. As Katherine fights for respectability and Shelton campaigns for divorce, magic is wielded to meddle, one magician skewing truth and the other exposing lies.

When the smoke clears from the field, whose magic will prevail? Will Katherine accept Shelton's hand in love-strewn matrimony, or will Shelton offer only his body to his mistress?

message 2: by Usako (new)

Usako (bbmeltdown) | 226 comments Have you ever been jipped like this? Jane Austen's name is dropped and immediately, you're drawn. Then disappointment surfaces when the item has nothing to do with Austen :P

message 3: by VMom (new)

VMom (votermom) | 68 comments I am so skeptical of JA name dropping that it has almost the opposite effect on me.

It's like when every new YA was "The New Harry Potter".
For a while even Twilight was the New Harry Potter. *shudder*

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

I felt that way with What Would Jane Austen Do?! Jane appears for one paragraph in the book and tells the main character to "be true to yourself" or some such nonsense. Double jip because her name is in the title! :P

message 5: by SarahC, Austen Votary & Mods' Asst. (new)

SarahC (sarahcarmack) | 1473 comments Mod
I wish there wasn't so much marketing in the world of fiction these days. I think that is why I get discouraged at the book store. What you are describing here bothers me AND I get bothered when some authors manage to sell themselves as really brilliant, "serious" fiction -- you know like a modern Steinbeck or someone. Then you read the book and it is SO disappointing. My local book group laughed about how so many book covers say things like "this book is a tour de force" or an "intricate and brilliant mosaic." huh?

message 6: by VMom (new)

VMom (votermom) | 68 comments Sarah wrote: "I wish there wasn't so much marketing in the world of fiction these days. I think that is why I get discouraged at the book store. What you are describing here bothers me AND I get bothered when s..."

I agree. Another thing that annoys me is over-hyped books. I've noticed a lot of newer genre books will get all these 5 star ratings on amazon and goodreads and I can only guess that they are family & friends doing the ratings.

message 7: by Usako (new)

Usako (bbmeltdown) | 226 comments OOOOUUUUUCCCHIES Jeannette! You read all of that to realize NOTHING!?! OH NOSES :(

Well this one isn't disappointing and has name dropping all over the place. It's more a christian nonfiction BUUUT her travels around England make it enchanting for me. I learned a lot about Austen through this book. it's a BRILLIANT MOSAIC of thought and journey *snickers at Sarah* A Walk with Jane Austen: A Journey into Adventure, Love, and Faith

Oh yuck, Sarah and Mayakda. That's why I don't select a book based on quotes alone. I need to study the dust jacket's description a while -and- considering the genre and aimed audience. Usually from there I can tell if it's a jipper! Ratings sometimes are a guiding line but I put more weight into the genre and description.

Question though, have you found a modern Austen or modern Steinbeck since publishers/critics seem to claim there are some?

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

Here is one I just read: "If Henry James himself sometimes seems a little old-fashioned, you might try his present-day heir apparent, Ian McEwan."

Haven't read enough of either to judge this comparison, but this is exactly what you are talking about.

message 9: by SarahC, Austen Votary & Mods' Asst. (new)

Jeannette wrote: "Here is one I just read: "If Henry James himself sometimes seems a little old-fashioned, you might try his present-day heir apparent, Ian McEwan."

Haven't read enough of either to judge this compa..."

Yep, that is what I am talking about!

message 10: by SarahC, Austen Votary & Mods' Asst. (new)

Tanja wrote: "OOOOUUUUUCCCHIES Jeannette! You read all of that to realize NOTHING!?! OH NOSES :(

Well this one isn't disappointing and has name dropping all over the place. It's more a christian nonfiction BU..."

Tanja,

I know -- that is why I am on GoodReads -- to actually hear a little more real description of a book. Also, I am more attracted to earlier copies of lots of novels because they were published with less hype 'in those days.' ha ha For more recently published books, sadly I don't have a choice.

And I am definitely still on a search for authors that can hold their own with older classics. Always. And, for me, it doesn't have to be a heavy novel, just one that is about how people really are. It doesn't have to be about a lot of "drama."

message 11: by Usako (new)

Usako (bbmeltdown) | 226 comments Oooh who would be the Austen heir, I wonder.