Jane Austen discussion

The Tea Tray > The Magicians and Mrs. Quent

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by VMom (new)

VMom (votermom) | 68 comments I just wanted to share my joy. I meant only to read a few pages of this last night and ended staying up all night to finish it! Really enjoyed it.

My review below if anyone's interested
http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/...

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

I put it on hold at the library. Thanks for the review!

message 3: by VMom (new)

VMom (votermom) | 68 comments I hope you like it!

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

I'll let you know (if I remember!) I may have jury duty next week, so I need some new books.

Captain Sir Roddy, R.N. (Ret.) (captain_sir_roddy) Thanks for the recommendation, this sounds interesting too. I have always kind of liked 'alternative-world' fiction. Kinda sounds like my wife might like it too. Cheers! Chris

message 6: by VMom (new)

VMom (votermom) | 68 comments I should mention that although the book ends with the most urgent crises resolved, there is clearly a larger arc -- so I expect the author plans at least one or two sequels.

message 7: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn | 98 comments Great review! This was already on my to-read list, but I'm bumping it up the ranks now ;-)

message 8: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (jedisakora) | 73 comments Great review! Added it to my to-read list as well. ^^

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

I started this book and really like it. I wish I had a big chunk of time to read through it, but I'll try not to stay up too late! :)

message 10: by Laura (new)

Laura | 14 comments I just finished this book. I have to say - I didn't like it. I was really, really prepared to like it - especially after reading the description and some of the reviews. But it was the fantasy world that got to me. I like fantasy/sci-fi books and I love books with magic but I couldn't quite reconcile the alternative world with this period piece. I liked the stuff surrounding Ivy but I wasn't so interested in some of the other story lines. The whole day/night cycles were an interesting idea but it seemed distracting to the story and I wasn't sure even why the author bothered with such a complex thing that didn't actually seem to add to the story.

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

I was disappointed, too. I felt that there were too many storylines, some of them were unnecessary and made the book overly long. I liked Ivy and Mr. Rafferdy!