Movies We've Just Watched discussion

House of Games

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ceci (new)

Ceci (cecialbiceleste) | 529 comments This is one of my all time favourite movies... Directed and written by David Mamet (his movie directional debut in 1987), starring Joe Mantegna as conman Mike and Lindsay Crouse as psychiatrist Margaret Ford. It's disturbing, delightful, smoky and somehow very weird. It's definitely a masterful movie, even though I could see most of the twists coming.

Just remember one of her patients telling Margaret about the "face of an animal," of this strange "lurg" in her dream... Brilliant!

message 2: by Viviana (new)

Viviana | 105 comments hello Cissy, amazing...as soon as I read this title I asked myself" could that be the Mamet's movie?" titles get translated here, for local distribution and very rarely they leave the original one..this is one of the few cases. anyhow, I remember this movie, seen many years ago, together with my bro who's been and is my menthor in this field,though 10 years younger than me,It was a weid movie, as you say kinda "smoky" and with no doubts, intriguing.
and Mantegna is super in Mamet's works.
Thanks for reminding it to me!!!

message 3: by Gus (new)

Gus Sanchez (gussanchez) This is also one of my favorite films. David Mamet can be hit-or-miss - for every House of Games or his masterpiece Glengarry Glen Ross , he's dished out crap like Spartan.

You can certainly see the twists coming; it's seeing how the characters react to the twists that makes this film so compelling.

message 4: by Ceci (new)

Ceci (cecialbiceleste) | 529 comments Very true, Gus. That's exactly it. Viviana, I'm glad you liked it, too! It's truly an exceptional film, in every way.

message 5: by Cathy Berry (new)

Cathy Berry (berrygirl55) | 30 comments I also saw this movie because of my brother (he loaned me his VHS tape, so you know it was a long time ago).I loved it!I remember thinking that it felt like a cold,dark,& rainy night-Mamet is certainly great at creating "atmosphere".

I may be a little slower than the rest of you,but I don't remember seeing all the twists coming.Guess I need to rewatch it & pay closer attention.

message 6: by Ceci (last edited May 23, 2008 05:20AM) (new)

Ceci (cecialbiceleste) | 529 comments It's definitely worth a second watch!! And I guess much of it depends on whether you've seen this type of conman films before... I've seen more than my share so it's very difficult to surprise me anymore. But House of Games is so much more... It's indeed the strange, dark atmosphere. Brilliant.

message 7: by JHHK (new)

JHHK JHHK | 16 comments If you like Mamet, check out the Criterion Collection DVD of “House of Games.” It has an audio commentary by Mamet and Rickey Jay. The disk also has a documentary shot on location of Mamet and the guys sitting around, playing poker. Both extras are incredible.

message 8: by Ceci (new)

Ceci (cecialbiceleste) | 529 comments Oh, thanks for the tip! I'll have to check that out. :) I hope it's available also in European dvd fomat... The American ones won't work here. Sigh...