What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Query abandoned by poster > ABANDONED. Thriller about family history of suicide/ the crucifixion

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Cathy (new)

Cathy | 30 comments I read this book on holidays and it involved a guy having psychiatric help to overcome a bleak family tradition of men suiciding. He has vivid dreams about using a hammer to drive metal stakes through someones flesh and realises he is seeing the crucifixion.

Flashbacks reveal more and more and it seems it is a relative who was present at the crucifixion and took an active role.

message 2: by Holly (new)

Holly | 60 comments I'm thinking about books I have read with crucifixion imagery... I'm going to guess it is not Creed for the Third Millenium by Colleen McCullough. :-)

I also read a book, sort of a thriller/horror type book. All I recall is that it starts out with a hand or foot washed up on the beach with a nail hole through it maybe? That's all I recall. I can't remember the name of it to save my life either.

message 3: by Cathy (new)

Cathy | 30 comments I seem to remember it was a male author with a plain name and I don't think the title gave too much away because I remember being surprised by it. Seem to remember reference to iron and large mallets/hammers, but not sure if that was in the title, and also he sees his own hands in his flashbacks.

message 4: by Cathy (new)

Cathy | 30 comments Just refreshing this question about a book that referneces the Crucifixion - still can't think of any other clues - maybe it was a blacksmith who forged the iron nails.

message 5: by Cathy (new)

Cathy | 30 comments Wanting to keep people thinking about this as it is driving me mad:
involved a guy having psychiatric help to overcome a bleak family tradition of men suiciding. He has vivid dreams about using a hammer being used to drive metal stakes through someone's flesh and realises he is seeing the crucifixion.

Flashbacks reveal more and more and it seems it is a relative who was present at the crucifixion and took an active role.

Male author, plainish name I think, prob 70s or 80s

message 6: by Cathy (new)

Cathy | 30 comments still hoping someone recalls this book where a guy has disturbing dreams of being present at the crucifixion

message 7: by Kerry (new)

Kerry (rocalisa) This sounds really familiar, but I'm sorry, I have no idea what it is. I hope someone knows, because now I'm really curious too.

message 8: by Cathy (new)

Cathy | 30 comments It was just "holiday fiction" but it was quite a gripping read - and now I can't remeber how it ended!

message 9: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 38282 comments Mod
The Cross of Fire by Barry N. Malzberg? Description: "The hero undergoes a futuristic psychotherapy in which he plays the role of Christ." Expanded from his story "Le Croix."

message 10: by Cathy (new)

Cathy | 30 comments Don't think so - no futuristic element. It had a contemporary setting, but with the flashbacks/dreams ffrom the time of the crucifixion. The main character's male ancestors had all suicided as they realised that their ancestor had played an active role in crucifying Christ. Can't remember whether the main character was being helped by a psyciatrist or psychologist.

message 11: by Cathy (new)

Cathy | 30 comments Disturbing dreams of being at the Crucifixion - and family history of men suiciding - ANY CLUES ANYONE?? Almost given up hope on this one. Probably a 70s or 80s airport type paperback, but it was really gripping. the main character was seeing either a psychologist or psychiatrist to try to avoid committing suicide like all his male ancestors.

message 12: by Philip (new)

Philip (philiphabecker) | 24 comments Parts of this sound a lot like The Visitation by Frank Perretti. It's been a while since I read it, but there are a lot of similarities.

message 13: by Cathy (new)

Cathy | 30 comments Thanks Philip but that's not it - it isn't set up as supernatural - just the family coincidence of several suicides. the Biblical aspect unfolds slowly through his visions and he is in psychotherapy. I think the setting was New York, or at least an American city.

message 14: by Cathy (new)

Cathy | 30 comments Still hoping someone knows something about this one - PLEASE!!!!

message 15: by D.M. (last edited Jun 06, 2012 01:13PM) (new)

D.M. Dutcher  | 340 comments Cross Current by Terry Cline might be something to try. If you have a kindle, it appears there's a Kindle version-you can get a free sample from there.

message 16: by Cathy (new)

Cathy | 30 comments D.M. wrote: "Cross Current by Terry Cline might be something to try. If you have a kindle, it appears there's a Kindle version-you can get a free sample from there."

I've now read Cross Current. The strange thing is the plot is very similar - almost identical. But the one I remember was narrated by the main character and he knew about his family's curse and is seeking to avoid it where as in Cross current that knowledge is kept from him (also he is a cleric in CC). It does make you doubt whether you remember correctly but there are details that are firmly embedded. So - still not solved as far as I can say for sure.

message 17: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Cathy, are you still looking for this?

message 18: by Cathy (new)

Cathy | 30 comments yes, still hoping I will find the answer one day!

message 19: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) | 6967 comments Mod
Cathy, if you bump the thread up every 30 to 60 days that will help you get your title found. It keeps the plot points of your book fresh in people's minds AND it tells new members about it too.

Isabel (kittiwake) | 115 comments I have definitely read this book. I think the suicidal family were descended from the centurion who was present at the crucifixion; the one who said "truly this man was a son of god", and that the men may all have killed themselves at the age of 33.

message 21: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Still looking?

message 22: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Unfortunately, as I am curious to know what this is, no response in 2+ years so moving to Abandoned.