Books are my life... discussion

ARCHIVES > The Kite Runner

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Heather B, Your Moderator (new)

Heather B (heatherbenson) | 1345 comments Mod
The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini
The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini

The Kite Runner of Khaled Hosseini's deeply moving fiction debut is an illiterate Afghan boy with an uncanny instinct for predicting exactly where a downed kite will land. Growing up in the city of Kabul in the early 1970s, Hassan was narrator Amir's closest friend even though the loyal 11-year-old with "a face like a Chinese doll" was the son of Amir's father's servant and a member of Afghanistan's despised Hazara minority. But in 1975, on the day of Kabul's annual kite-fighting tournament, something unspeakable happened between the two boys.
Narrated by Amir, a 40-year-old novelist living in California, The Kite Runner tells the gripping story of a boyhood friendship destroyed by jealousy, fear, and the kind of ruthless evil that transcends mere politics. Running parallel to this personal narrative of loss and redemption is the story of modern Afghanistan and of Amir's equally guilt-ridden relationship with the war-torn city of his birth. The first Afghan novel to be written in English, The Kite Runner begins in the final days of King Zahir Shah's 40-year reign and traces the country's fall from a secluded oasis to a tank-strewn battlefield controlled by the Russians and then the trigger-happy Taliban. When Amir returns to Kabul to rescue Hassan's orphaned child, the personal and the political get tangled together in a plot that is as suspenseful as it is taut with feeling.

The son of an Afghan diplomat whose family received political asylum in the United States in 1980, Hosseini combines the unflinching realism of a war correspondent with the satisfying emotional pull of master storytellers such as Rohinton Mistry. Like the kite that is its central image, the story line of this mesmerizing first novel occasionally dips and seems almost to dive to the ground. But Hosseini ultimately keeps everything airborne until his heartrending conclusion in an American picnic park. --Lisa Alward, Amazon.ca

If you are going to post any spoilers please say so at the start of your post. Thank you

message 2: by Heather B, Your Moderator (new)

Oh there's a movie? I didn't know that.
I haven't read the book yet, we're reading it for school this year.

message 3: by Heather B, Your Moderator (new)

It could be, I just haven't seen it. what was the movie about, does it sound like the book?

message 4: by Heather B, Your Moderator (new)

ahaha I'll look it up.

message 5: by Heather B, Your Moderator (new)

I looked it up and it is this book that the movie was based on, I'll have to watch it after I read the book.

message 6: by Heather B, Your Moderator (new)

Yap :P

message 7: by Dija (new)

Dija I love this book so much. It was simply heart-wrenching. The kind of heartbreaking you feel on the inside, not in the form of tears. It really transformed my views on the political situation in Afghanistan.

message 8: by Heather B, Your Moderator (new)

I just finished this novel a few days ago and I thought it was unbelievable. Amir's story was so real and so heartbreaking that it was hard to read at times. When I started reading it I was told that I would have trouble not getting upset with Amir for all the wrong choices that he makes, but I never got overly upset with him because I always reminded myself that he was only a twelve year old boy and didn't full understand what he was doing. All Amir ever wanted was his fathers acceptance and pride, but he never truly got it. The person that I blam the most would have to be Baba, I think that it was his choices and lies that started the ball of string unravaling. One of the most heartbreaking things in the book for me was Hassan. Right from the first time he is introduced in the book you can't help but fall in love with him, he was so innocent and sweet. What happened to him was was completly unfair and unforgivable, but it never affected his loyalty toward Amir even when Amir betrayed him. This book really opened my eyes to the horrible realities of the world and made me truly appritiate what I have. Probably one of the best novels I've ever read.

message 9: by Abha (new)

Abha one of my favorite books of all time. May have to re-read the book sometime this year. Amazing how a non-action can haunt someone for the rest of their life. Hosseini is an artist in the way he writes.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Kite Runner (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Khaled Hosseini (other topics)